Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 08:52   #1

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design
Hello from Dallas, TX

Now you know just how geographically dissadvantaged we are. Our 4-5 year plan is to escape the confines of the rat race and transition to a more liquid environment. We are early 50's so our knees should still be in pretty good shape for the "leap" aboard. She is from New England and has considerable sailing experience. Although I am a west Texas boy, I have owned and sailed a small boat on area lakes. Currently we have a power boat but I'm ready to ditch that and get another sailer. We have chartered together in the BVI so we have some exposure to life aboard.

Since we are still a few years away from being able to go full time, I was thinking it would be a good idea to get something in the 30-something foot range possibly for use on lake Texoma on the Texas-Oklahoma border. It's a big lake...89,000 acres and can get quite ugly during stormy weather. We would be limited to weekends for the most part. If we could find the right boat there, maybe we good get it set up for a transport down to the Gulf for our beginning getaway in a few years. We welcome any thoughts, ideas or attempts to talk us out of the whole thing. FYI..."We aint' skeered a nuthin"
rhr1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:01   #2

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S
Hello rhr, welcome! Looks like you have a great plan. Enjoy this excellent forum....Allan
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:10   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
We have several Dallas area boat owners in Corpus Christi. There are also quite a few in Kemah - which is a much closer drive. In the grand scheme of things, apparently flights on SWA aren't that big a deal?
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:29   #4

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design
yes bstreep, Kemah wouldn't be a bad spot but logistically SWA wouldn't work unless I kept a car in Kemah for ground use. Since our weekends are really short (I work most Saturdays) the Texoma plan is about the only way we would be able to make regular visits. I would much prefer Kemah though as it relates to accessing the gulf coast. We just wouldn't be able to get much use there. We actually live east of Dallas in a town called Rockwall which borders another north Texas lake...Lake Ray Hubbard. In fact I am only 900 feet from the water. For convenience sake nothing could be closer. The texoma consideration is simply for the size of the lake up there. But I don't know...maybe I should be thinking of the lake right here at home. If I forgot a screwdriver or something, I could just pull up and send Weezy (thats the wife) up the hill to the house. ;-)
rhr1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:33   #5

Boat: Chrysler Pirateer 13'
Thumbs up

Hi rhr1956!

*waves*

My husband and I are also in the DFW area (in Euless in the midcities area techincally). We love Grapevine lake but we also have only a 13' boat at the moment. Let me know what you find out about lakes in the area please.

Thanks,
Chani
Capitana_Chani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 19:31   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here and I like your idea of a 30 something sailer. I like up to 36 for ease of handling and economy.
kind regards,