Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 10:05   #1

Boat: None at the moment.
Hello from Chicago!

So the sailing/crusing bug has bit me, and I've spend the last few weeks reading everything I could and dreaming about the future!

I've always loved the water, but unfortunately growing up in central IL I wasn't exposed to boating. Went on a vacation to Ohio a few weeks ago adn a nice passage from Sandusky to Kelly Island and Put-in-Bay on the big passenger Jet-Express made me love being out on the water. Coming back to Chicago, I was able to get on the water for a bit and now I'm hooked.

You know how it goes, big dreams, big plans... but I know I have to start small, as of now I know practically nothing, so plan to spend alot of time here on the boards soaking up knowledge, and then get some lessons at the local sailing/yacht clubs off Lake Michigan!

I'm 28, have a professional consulting job, and the girlfriend (26) is in nursing/health care. We're both super excited at what the future holds, and we both have job skills that could potentially allow us to find work about anywhere if it's needed.

For now, and the next few years, we'll start our learning process and build up! Feel free to point out good topics, or if you know local resources here that's awesome too!

-Doug
driven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 18:41   #2

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
Great to meet another Illinois sailor! I am sure that you will find this forum to be endlessly helpful. I have not done any sailing on Lake Michigan but have done a few rounds in put-in-bay as well as Kelley's. I love passing by Cedar point and the coal tipple before you make it out of the bay. Make sure that you get to the "Strictly sail" boat show in late January and early February. Good luck!
Spencer
scook1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 20:39   #3

Boat: None at the moment.
Thanks Spencer I am going to look into that for sure!

Right now the plan is to learn all the basic boating skills, acquire a small motorboat to just get out on the water more. Also planning on taking the sailing lessons, and then club sail for a bit. Then we'll purchase a used sailboat and spend some time with it

Given our life plans, we're probably looking about 7 years away from really taking off and going, but the journey until this is still going to be great!

Seeing Cedar Point off in the distance out on Erie was pretty awesome I have to say, and then of course the lighthouse at Put-In-Bay was quite a site and fun to go up in! They are going to close it soon for a 3 year remodeling!
driven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 22:51   #4

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Welcome to the forum,
I love Chicago, The people are friendly, the city is beautiful, and if I could of figured out a way, I would live in Sheds aquarium.
Good luck on your adventure,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:57   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Doug,
Welcome aboard! We've all been bitten by that sailing bug. Hope you can find the means to fulfill your dreams. I really didn't mean for that to rhyme.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote