Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 19:12   #1
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom
Hello from Brisbane, Australia

Hello,
I should have posted in this forum before I did any other, my apologies for not doing so.
Short version.. I'm a single dad to 11yo twin boys, one of which is deaf, but he has an implant, and a 9yo girl. My wife past away a little over a year ago.

We're going to be putting to sea again sometime in March, at this point this trip is going to be a rather extended one, the time line at the moment is a little vague, but we will be visiting a number of Pacific islands, including the Fijian island group, New Caledonia - specifically Noumea, Cook islands, Tahiti plus likley a number of others that our nose leads us to along the way.

Beyond that the destination for that portion of the trip is Vancouver, after we also visit Hawaii, and Japan along the way. Beyond Vancouver after a break there, we plan on an extended time in the Galápagos islands, after cruising our way down past Mexico and south american coast line, the kids want to go exploring through the Mayan regions, so I dare say there will be an extended stop somewhere through there as well.
If you are ever in any of those area's drop me a bell I'd love to meet up with you.
Oh and last but not least, my name is James.
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 20:50   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
It sounds like a great adventure, and I am envious. I wish it were me, but I would prefer to do the trip from east to west. Heading east will be a big challenge.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 22:05   #3

James,
I am jealous. That looks like a great tour. Don't forget the camera. I guess the scene will be good for some unforgettable views to be archived.

Have fun and good luck
Jens
Old 04-01-2011, 22:37   #4

Boat: Traditional 30
It sounds like a fantastic trip James and a real life experience for the kids. Good on you and good luck with it. What sort of boat?

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 22:45   #5
JJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
It sounds like a fantastic trip James and a real life experience for the kids. Good on you and good luck with it. What sort of boat?

Cheers
Oz
Hi Oz.
We have a Warwick 72. We have done a lot of sailing in it, but it hasn't done much for about 18 months, we did have it in the Cook islands in September last year, but for the last few months, it's been getting a new rig, Furuno radar, usual electronics, new water maker etc. Along with being Sandblasted. Now it's all ready to go again, for another few years worth of good cruising
Old 04-01-2011, 22:50   #6
JJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
It sounds like a great adventure, and I am envious. I wish it were me, but I would prefer to do the trip from east to west. Heading east will be a big challenge.
Yeah that would be a great way to do it, but it would take us to a series of places we just don't want to go to right now, the worst of it will be Hawaii to Vancouver, we have done that leg once before, it really wasn't that bad.
Old 09-01-2011, 21:21   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
I did that trip once a while back and it was quite pleasant. Just sail around the Pacific High and it'll go well.
kind regards,
Old 09-01-2011, 21:44   #8
JJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha and welcome aboard!
I did that trip once a while back and it was quite pleasant. Just sail around the Pacific High and it'll go well.
kind regards,
Thanks skiprjohn.
It won't be the first time we have sailed into Hawaii, but we have always just used Hawaii as a supply point before we continue, are there any decent Marina's in your are that can accommodate a 72 footer for a few days? If so, do they have a website? Or a phone number for bookings?
Old 09-01-2011, 22:51   #9

I am in Brisbane, and i would not even think about going East from Brisbane.
i had a friend leave Townsville in a 42 ft cat for New Caledonia, after two weeks bashing into 30 knot S/E winds he gave up and turned back.
Usually to go East you sail south to New zealand and catch the roaring 40's east. Not my cup of tea.
I think you need to do some research, it is possible, if you go in the right season.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 23:39   #10
JJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau View Post
I am in Brisbane, and i would not even think about going East from Brisbane.
i had a friend leave Townsville in a 42 ft cat for New Caledonia, after two weeks bashing into 30 knot S/E winds he gave up and turned back.
Usually to go East you sail south to New zealand and catch the roaring 40's east. Not my cup of tea.
I think you need to do some research, it is possible, if you go in the right season.
Thanks for the feedback Beau. I have very much done my research on the issue, I can understand why our trip would be quite painful in a cat, however we have a 72 mono that has little problem reaching 9-10.5 knots upwind. The boat eats it up without issue.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:02   #11

Boat: Landfall 39 built 1982
Have a goody JJB and enjoy the time with your kids hope to get my little girl(4.5 yo) on the boat this year she is very excited.

Cheers Alex
felixqld66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 13:20   #12

Boat: Cabo Rico
Tough times in Brisbane.... I hope all of you are safe!
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 14:15   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Hmm, just been watching it on the news, some serious floods and more to come as the rain continues to fall. Hope you guys stay safe.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 14:26   #14

It has stopped raining at the moment, beautiful day, sun shining, but the large flood mitigation dam is full and water is still flowing in.
We are living on our boat at a marina, so all is well.

It has been interesting to see how people have reacted to the sensational news put out by the media.
The supermarket shelves have been emptied of milk, and toilet paper?? not exactly life's essential items?
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 14:52   #15
Marine Service Provider

By golly 72 foot at 10 knots is an impressive vessel. Would be interested to see some photos of it.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, brisbane