Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2011, 05:19   #31

Boat: boat less ATM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJB View Post
The boat you have linked there, is a VASTLY different boat, ours lacks most of the uber luxury items you might expect to see if it was built to be a luxury crewed charter boat.
While still an expensive boat if we had to build again today to the same design it would cost a little over half of the boat you linked to.

As for coastal cruising round Queensland, for as long as our trips are planned properly, thus far it hasn't been a problem, our design draws 2.7 rather than 2.8..
No offence intended. I would love to sail on the linked boat OR even your half priced half price version.
You must be better at route planning than I am as I seem to find trouble even with 0.8 m draft cruising the Qld coast. Inside Stradbroke & Fraser I, the Curtis I "Narrows" spring to mind.

Sailing the deep blue, that draft would be a real plus, however.

PS I am on a new oil rig ship en route to Turkey via Cape Town (see attached Posiition. I hope the Somalis don't lurk here) and my cat is hanging off a Southport Yacht Club mooring. The last few days I have been sweating that the Nerang river would have a severe flood but Pelican seems to have come through unscathed SO FAR.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14_1_2011.gif
Views:	141
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	22769  
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 05:45   #32
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by svstrider View Post
No offence intended. I would love to sail on the linked boat OR even your half priced half price version.
You must be better at route planning than I am as I seem to find trouble even with 0.8 m draft cruising the Qld coast. Inside Stradbroke & Fraser I, the Curtis I "Narrows" spring to mind.

Sailing the deep blue, that draft would be a real plus, however.

PS I am on a new oil rig ship en route to Turkey via Cape Town (see attached Posiition. I hope the Somalis don't lurk here) and my cat is hanging off a Southport Yacht Club mooring. The last few days I have been sweating that the Nerang river would have a severe flood but Pelican seems to have come through unscathed SO FAR.
No offence taken! Some of the yachts that come off Alan's design tables are just beautiful, such as the one you linked to, I would love one fitted like that, but my kids would wreck it in three months LOL.

All is quiet round SYC, I wouldn't worry about your boat, the Hinze didn't seem to cop it nearly as bad as Wivenhoe has. I see you have a Tenant design, they aren't common which is a shame, they are great boats.

Any time we Cruise up the coast, we usually are straight out to deep water, mostly our first stop will be Townsville, and once in a while Mackay, so we tend to avoid the Frazer coast, the one time we did take the boat in through the western side of the island was tricky, but that's also why we have the funky electronics, I can't say I would want to repeat the experience however, certainly not in a mono anyhow.

Also you mention you are on a ship right now, may I ask what sat broadband system you are using on the ship? I'm just in the process of investigating to see if I can find something better than we have right now.
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 06:33   #33

Boat: boat less ATM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJB View Post
Also you mention you are on a ship right now, may I ask what sat broadband system you are using on the ship? I'm just in the process of investigating to see if I can find something better than we have right now.
Deep Water Champion is 229 meters long and draws 12 m, so I guess it would have even more difficulties inside fraser Island than you did

Its internet & satphone communications are outsourced to CAPROCK. I am amazed that we still can get ABC & BBC satellite TV out here at 00oS / 500E (VERY approx due to Somali lurkers. Just call me paranoid ) I have done this route seven previous times and often lose phone & internet for 3 or 4 days when we cross the equator and have to reacquire satellites.

BTW Apologies to OP for hijacking original thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DWC pic1comp.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	22773  
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 19:07   #34

Re: Hello from Brisbane, Australia

Hi James, are you still looking for a sailing companion for your trip? I may be interested in joining you.
Nicola-Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 05:48   #35

Hi James ! Are you still at it?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
leotie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 06:17   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, leoti, and Nicola-Jane.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, brisbane