Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2008, 12:25   #1

Hello from Austin, TX

Hello y'all,

My name is Franco and I live in Austin, TX. I am 37, and I'm married with 3 kids. I grew up in Argentina, near Buenos Aires. I started sailing during my teen years. My dad bought a 21 ft sloop, then a 30, then a 31. We used to race often in the "Rio de la Plata", sometimes the races were from La Plata to Colonia (Uruguay), Buenos Aires to La Plata, etc. We also used to cruise to different destinations in Uruguay. Anyway, later on I finished college in Argentina and moved to the USA, and haven't owned a boat or sailed in several years. The bug is itching me, hard. My wife's only experience sailing was a couple of times that we rented a hobie cat 14 at the beach, and she enjoyed it. The kids have never sailed.

I'm not too familiar with sailing in this area (Austin, TX). Heck, the only places to sail here are a few lakes that aren't even real lakes. My goal for now is to find and buy a small trailerable sailboat so that we can start sailing on the weekends with the family. I think something like a "Flying Scot" would probably be ideal. Small enough that I can tow it with my car (I don't have a truck), but big enough to carry a jib and a spinnaker.

If I get the family hooked on sailing, then I would consider a bigger boat, maybe even move to Corpus Christi. Corpus seems like a nice place to own a sailboat. My long-term goal would be to own a boat big enough to go on some long cruises to Mexico, Belize, etc.

Well, enough for now. Greetings and happy sailing. I would enjoy any comments or suggestions, especially regarding my next step, which is to find a small boat to teach the family how to sail.

Regards,

Franco
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 13:23   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I think something like a "Flying Scot" would probably be ideal. Small enough that I can tow it with my car
A trailerable boat sounds like just the right plan. You can't get the whole family wanting to sail until they do it a few times. With the water you have close by this may indeed be your best bet. Boat of these boats can be purchased used for a good price and then can also be resold for a similar price. Flying Scot seems a good choice and I'm sure you may find others that can work with the weight limit of your car and be transported and easily setup.

Having a way to get out often and easy means you sail more. The way to sail more usually the best way.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 15:14   #3

Thanks for the response. Any other boat suggestions similar to a Flying Scot? By the way, my car can tow no more than 1500 lbs. There is a Club 420 for sale nearby. The thing with the 420 is, they are kind of expensive (for a dinghy), and here in Texas I don't know who would buy it if I ever wanted to sell it. I've got too much experience buying something that later on is almost impossible to sell because nobody else wants that.
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 15:31   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
You might want to plug some numbers into the YachtWolrd.Com search tool. Narrow it down to the US and see the types of boats that come up. many of the boats you might find won't be listed there but it may spark some ideas. There are a lot of 18 - 20 ft boats that could serve you.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 13:46   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Franco,
Flying Scot is good, Lightening would be good, Flying Junior is good. An old Rebel 16 or a Rhodes 19 would be good choices too. Thistles are nice boats. Those are just a few that I can think of.
Welcome aboard!
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 14:45   #6

Greetings Franco:
I too am in Austin. Our Cape Dory 25D, Seraph, is at Commander's Point, on Lake Travis. FYI, Lake Travis is 66 miles long.
Check out "ASS", Austin Sailing Society
Austin Sailing Society

I'd also contact the Austin YC for any boats for sale. Commander's Point on Lake Travis has a Catalina 22 for sale cheap.

Good luck

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 16:48   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Flying Scots are raced at Canyon Lake, between Austin & San Antonio. BTW, these lakes - including Travis - are deep water, pretty good sized lakes!

Now, I realize that you are originally from Rio de la Plata - the WIDEST river in the world - but out lakes aren't THAT small. I was in Uruguay & Argentina over Thanksgiving a year and a half ago with a group of sailors.

If you are down in Corpus Christi, look us up. We are there most weekends.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote