Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2008, 19:42   #1

Hello from Aus

Hi folks, just signed up and wanted to say hi.
I've been reading the forum the last 2 weeks and have found lot of great info, do's and don'ts.

We plan to be crusing in 12 months, no sailing experience yet, but am lucky to know a experienced sailor willing to teach. At this stage I hope to head from Aus over to png via the torres straight after at least 3-4 months of day sailing, moving up to living onboard.
Im really not sure if this is enough time to learn enough of the boat and skills needed for a trip like this, what are your thoughts?
ywfbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 20:21   #2

Boat: Baba 30
Welcome from another newbie! (that's us). Let me encourage you in your sailing dream! We moved aboard last summer and sailed for the season here in Washington. You're very lucky to have an experienced sailor as your teacher, but even he or she will tell you that experience comes with time on the water. Every day you'll learn something new, it's great! Become proficient in navigation, understand local tides and weather. Know the rules of the road. Read. Then work on your sailing skills as you go. The cruising community is filled with people who are always willing to help a new sailor advance. We're planning a trip down the west coast of the US to Mexico this fall, experienced friends encouraging us as we go! In 12 months I suspect you'll be ready and eager to go too! Do it!
Take care! Bob and Sharon
bob and sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 21:03   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha YWFBI,
Welcome aboard!! I think that should be enough time to get you sorted out on a good boat.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2008, 23:35   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Maestro
Welcome to you.

Firstly I will say that after 30 odd years of sailing I still learn something new all the time. Sailing is a total challenge with nature, which never ceases to change.

Read!!! Bob and Sharon are right on this one.

And of course - don't be afraid to ask. A couple of weeks ago when we were cruising on our yacht back in NZ, we were having "Happy Hour" on a mate's boat when a guy, with his young family on board, rowed over and said "I'm new at this, is this a safe anchorage for the night and are you guys staying here?"

After he left we sat there rather humbled and agreed, "what a great thing to do, good on him"!!

All the best to you.

cheers
Kiwikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 03:27   #5

Thanks

Thanks for the warm welcome and encouragement.

Im lucky with the reading side, I should be able to borrow books so I can learn the theory now and it'll be a great way to preview them and only buy what I really need for reference etc.
Old 31-01-2008, 10:55   #6

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welcome ywfbi,

IMHO you'll do fine with a more experienced guy assisting - and by the time you're six months out - you'll have more experience than the average weekend sailor gains in ten years.

We had one crewman in Perth who set off to cruise his own boat with what I considered to be 'less than enough' experience. Byt the time he'd got round to Queensland he was 100% and sailed on to NZ, then Fiji and points onward. No issues.

Good luck with the trip - enjoy.
JOHN
Old 31-01-2008, 14:23   #7

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Cruising tends to be more about working with all of the systems on the boat then it is about sailing. You can learn to make the boat go the direction that you want and get the basics down in 2 weeks if you're of average intelligence. The systems and technical stuff may take a little longer but most of it you can get from books if you have any mechanical aptitude at all.

Cruising is pretty well all about "Learning by doing". The learning really starts the day that you untie the dock lines. The timing of that is up to you. It could be next week or it could be 10 years from now.........for most, it's more on the 10 year side. Lot's of dreamers out there, not nearly as many doers. You just have to be a doer to do it.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 22:36   #8

Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Welcome!

Welcome & all the very best with your cruising adventures!

I hope you have a wonderful time

This is a great forum. I am fairly new myself and I am really enjoying it.

Have a wonderful day!

Smiles and laughter

Nicolle
Old 31-01-2008, 22:56   #9

Hi...welcome, in all the learning dont forget to have have fun...it will probably change your life : )
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 23:47   #10

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Welcome ywfbi...I know one thing you are doing right...You're planning on doing it rather than talking about it. Good luck and just go for it...Aloha
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 00:02   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Welcome
Sailing is the easy part. I have been surprised in my first 6 months of cruising, how many people I have met that started cruising with little or no experience. Go for it. If you want to read about another Australian try my blog
www.amzerzo.blogspot
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:02   #12

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
Cruising tends to be more about working with all of the systems on the boat then it is about sailing. You can ..... get the basics down in 2 weeks if you're of average intelligence. The systems and technical stuff may take a little longer....
I'd like to think Im above average intelligence (well wouldn't we all!), what you say makes sense. In fact the 'systems' were the least of my worries, Im the guy that gets a new gizmo and insists on reading the manual cover to cover to learn EVERY function/feature (but not before it is installed of course).
If I could understand Women even half as well as I do electonics and mechanics I'd be a very happy man!

Its quite strange the reactions I've recieved since making my intensions public, I work with a family of sailors (racers). The Son (I'll call him Bob) and Father (Jim) have given me 2 totally different reactions. Bob has said very little, but the way in which he does says things implies that I can't do it, or Im crazy. 'Jim' on the other hand is completly encouraging and is the one offering help.

Funny really, its almost like for 'Bob' to be the 'expert sailor' he is, requires my not being able to learn in 12 months what took him over 12 years. Personally I don't think we're trying do the same thing here, I don't want to win races, I want to explore.

noelex 77, thanks for the link. I'll be reading about your experiences tonight.
Once again thanks folks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: noelex 77's link from above http://www.amzerzo.blogspot.com/
Old 02-02-2008, 03:41   #13

Send a message via ICQ to emmo
Hi from Perth, Welcome, hope to drop anchor near you someme time , somewhere,
Cheers, emmo