Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2006, 15:47   #1

Hello from Arizona

What to say. Well, lets start by saying that the only sailing experience I have right now is a certificate from a US Sailing - Small Boat course 1 year ago.

Right now I am currently building a 16 foot camping cruiser and it is about 90% complete and hopefully I should be able to hit the water by the end of the year. I will be sailing on lake pleasant in arizona and hopefully also along the coast of San Diego and possibly some Catalina Island excursions.

The design that I elected to build is one from a designer named Jacques Merten from http://boatplans-online.com/.

Here she is:

My intentions are to use this boat to build some sailing skills over the next few years while I build a larger boat, which hopefully will be my living quarters during retirement, even though retirement is several years away.

Since the build is almost complete I thought it was time to join this forum so I could gain some wisdom from the guys and gals who have spent many years doing what I have been dreaming about.

I have been reading and building for the last 4 years and can't wait to actually trying to perfect some basic sailing skills.

Cheers......
Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 16:12   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Arizona,
Welcome Aboard!! I used to teach the basic U.S. Sailing classes here in Hawaii. Good course, by the way. If you have the book "Start Sailing Right!" you are headed in the right direction. Sounds like the skills you want to build right now are small boat handling and in that case practice is the key. Trailering, launching, docking and outboard motor control will be helpful.
Anyway I've found this forum most helpful in many of my projects and I hope you do too.
Is that a photo of your boat or an advertisement for the plan?
Kind Regards,

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 16:24   #3

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Wdlcome aboard.
Fair winds, following seas, and never run out of wine

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 16:29   #4

Thanks John,

It was a great course, even the capsize and recovery drills. If only the water was warmer.. Yes, I do have the "Start Sailing Right" book and enjoyed the many hours reading it. When I do finally launch, I agree pratice is in order. I was thinking about using the weighted buoys in the middle of the lake to practice man-over board drills and docking maneuvers.
(Not the navagation buoys, but ones I place for practicing.)

The picture is a picture of the same boat I am currently building and it was not meant to be an advertisement, sorry. Since my boat is currently upside down in my garage waiting for some cooler weather to hit arizona so I can spray my topcoat, I thought I would at least show something that resembled the finished product. Again, I am looking forward to reading the many post here at this forum.
Old 05-09-2006, 16:30   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspot Baby
Wdlcome aboard.
Fair winds, following seas, and never run out of wine

George
Thanks, Now that is a quote I like...
Old 05-09-2006, 17:51   #6

Boat: Sceptre 41
Welcome Arizona:

Great bunch of people here. Lots of experience and opinions. Some of the opinions are good too LOL. I'm sure you can learn alot here as there is a wealth of knowledge.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 22:01   #7

Hi Charlie, thanks for the welcome. I actually was pointed to this site by one of your members, KnottyBuoyz. He has become a regular to a building forum I browse everyday. Now that I have acquired the knowledge to build my own boat, I am here trying to find the knowledge to sail it safely.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:07   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Arizona,
I hope you didn't think I was critical of your photo. Looks like a neat design with plenty of room below for a couple of campers. 16s can be loads of fun. I used to sail Rebel 16s in San Diego Bay years ago and they are plenty roomy for 5 people if they aren't supersized.
West Wight Potter 15s are really roomy below for their length and are very capable weatherly boats. I'll check the construction thread to see your progress.
Placticing on buoys is a great idea and your boat should handle great since it is a cat rig and you only have to worry about one sheet.
Kind Regards, JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 15:44   #9

Boat: Coastal Recreation, Aquarius 21
Hey Arizona, From another Arizonian...

Hope we see you out at Lake Pleasant - we had a 15 ft'er some 25 yrs ago - had child - sold boat - child flew the coop - and we have just bought an Aquarius 21... we are very rusty and newby at all the terms... but I luv these sites and am on information overload most of the time... (with my trusty sailing encyclopedia at my side as I read!).

We have been to Lake Pleasant once and Lake Mary in Flagstaff twice (really low - and no wind) and are planning on another trip this week to Pleasant (as long as I dont get picked for Jury Duty on Tues)

Hope to see you out sailing!
Carolyn & Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PHTO0014.JPG
Views:	350
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	258  
cevm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:04   #10
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
I thought I was the only one around here with a mouth big enough to fit both feet into....

whoops, I think I better start figuring out how to use them smiley faces...
Old 13-10-2006, 09:16   #11

Location: West Coast of Mexico in the winter and the mountains of Arizona in the Summer
Boat: Hunter 42, Summer Wind
Hello Arizona . . . from yet another Zonie (up in the White Mountains)! We may be land locked but we do love to sail don't we!

We sailed on Lake Pleasant many years ago and are now have a boat in San Carlos, Mexico. Once you get the boat finished you might consider bringing it to San Carlos . . . it's an easy drive, great place for smaller boats, and a lot less expensive than San Diego!

We just returned from San Carlos -- spent the last couple weeks preparing the boat for the cruising season -- we'll be leaving here before the show flys and headed for warmer waters.

http://wingandsail.blogspot.com/2006...l_archive.html

Welcome Aboard

Galley Wench, HUNTER 42

"You may not be able to control the wind, but you can adjust your sails"
Hunter42 is offline   Reply With Quote