Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2009, 22:38   #1

Boat: looking
Hello from another upover.

Hi, all!
I live in Vancouver, spend time in Asia, used to have a boat(a few times), planning to build one when I get back to Asia(55 Lodestar) & have started shopping for one(40-45foot), because I can't let another season go by boatless. My wife wants me to have another boat, so I'll stop looking at them on "her" computer. Some of you I know, most I have yet to meet.
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 23:13   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Kumusta ka!

You are a fortunate man to have a wife that WANTS you to buy a boat.

Welcome aboard!
Old 27-02-2009, 15:13   #3

Thanks for the welcome!
Funny, my wife has ridden our fishing boats in some of the wildest waters in the southern Philippines, yet, she doesn't want to offshore sail with me. Hmmm, must be a trust issue. I take it you've spent some time there?
Mike
Old 27-02-2009, 16:14   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Bangkaboat,
Welcome aboard! I always thought it was spelled bongkaboat. Learn something everyday.
Good to have you here.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 17:36   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkaboat View Post
Thanks for the welcome!
Funny, my wife has ridden our fishing boats in some of the wildest waters in the southern Philippines, yet, she doesn't want to offshore sail with me. Hmmm, must be a trust issue. I take it you've spent some time there?
Mike
Yeah! There's a whole lot of a difference between power and sail. Sailing doesn't seem natural to woman. I think it's the tipping thing that gets to them.

I've been in/out of PI so many times I've lost count. The wife is Kababayan.

After I get the boat finished I'll be heading down thata way, permanently. A couple more years and a few more boat token$ and I'll be on my way. She'll fly.
Old 28-02-2009, 00:41   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Aloha from Hawaii bangkaboat...I have some haunts in Asia also. Where in Asia do you go? Welcome to the forum.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 02:35   #7

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Welcome aboard bangkaboat. I will be spending some time in Dipolog and surrounding area shortly without a boat over there. My boat at the present is in Victoria and I am planning on a 6 mos. in Bc waters and 6 mos in the Philippines as my retirement project starting in May.
Old 28-02-2009, 13:50   #8

Thanks, all, for the warm greetings!

Celestialsailor, I've lived in Hong Kong, Taiwan, and the Philippines, and travelled in South Korea, Thailand, & sailed from Darwin, Aus., to Davao, Philippines.

delmarrey, which area of the Philippines is your wife from? Chaote 40? Yeah, I'll bet she really moves.

Lancerbye, I've passed through Zamboanga before, taking the ferry down to Davao. Lost one of my fishing boats to a group in General Santos. Last I heard, it was up your way. Bit of a scary area, then again, that's what they told me about Davao before I'd gone there. My brother lives in Victoria, near Cedarhill & Cedarhillx. My Dad grew up there & I went to SMU for two years & worked at Passport Auto(Colwood), before my first trip to Asia(1990). One of the boats I'm considering right now is a 42 Lancer, in So Cal. I work for Vancouver Drydock/Vancouver Shipyards(steelworker) but, as this economy seems to be heading for a major collapse, am thinking about moving back to Philippines & building a 55 foot steel sailboat, develop our beaches, that sort of thing(semi-retirement). A few of my co-workers are married to Filipinas, one from Davao, & plan on retirement there. Are you planning to take your boat to the Philippines, someday?

All, we have several properties in the Philippines, including beaches on; Samal Island, Talikud Island, and in Dalaguete & Argao. I came close to getting a 3 hectare island, in Palawan, for $77,000 Canadian, but waited too long(stupid). Due to the recent slowdown in our industry, I can think of nothing better than waiting it out in the land of cheap & hot. I'd like to sail there - some journey! - but that depends if I can move some rural property that I own, here(doubtful). We'll see. I'd sure like to have a boat there, though, while building my own.

My nephew(25) went to Thailand, H.K., for the first time in December, and now wants to transfer to his company's H.K. office! It's nice when you get to tell these young people, "I told you so!"(hehehe)
Warmest regards,
Mike
Old 01-03-2009, 08:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkaboat View Post
Thanks, all, for the warm greetings!
delmarrey, which area of the Philippines is your wife from? Chaote 40? Yeah, I'll bet she really moves.
The wife is from Teguegarao, Cagayan. She has so many relatives there that they named a main street after them. Palawan, up North the wife's sister has 80 hectares lined with a white sands beach. It's all in coconut trees right now, a source of income.

The Choate is a deep keel light weight boat but once it gets there it should do fine.

Getting there's going to be the fun part but shouldn't take long. I'm considering going by way of Hawaii, heading SE to the Marshall's, Guam and on to PI. I plan on hang out around the Visayas jumping South during Typhoon seaon. ...................................._/)
Old 01-03-2009, 10:19   #10

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Delmarry and Bangkaboat
I am widowed, soon retired and searching for a new 1st mate. I am presently going to be visiting a Filipena lady that worked for us in the middle east. Things can happen even for some of us old farts. I will be looking at land NE of Dipolog and in a few years possibly moving the boat down there. If I decide to stay there full time. For this year I will spend till mid-October in Canada and fly to the Philippines to spend the winter in a warmer climate. Going back to Canada next April. I have also been planning a future route and it pretty much matches Delmarrey's. When you planning on going Delmarrey?
Old 01-03-2009, 11:31   #11

delmarrey,
Sounds much like my wife's family. Though my wife was born/raised in Davao, her parents were originally from Dalaguete & Argao, both just south of Cebu. In the Argao/Dalaguete areas there are about 700 family members. I was planning to build a boat yard in this area, when we return, as I had too many problems with some of the locals when I built in General Santos City. 80 ha. in Palawan? You lucky in-law, you!

Lancerbye,
Sorry to hear of your loss.
My one regret is that I never went to the Philippines when I was single.(as you can tell, the wife's not looking over my shoulder! hehehe)
I met & married my wife while living in Kaohsiung, Taiwan. When we arrived in the Philippines, the first time, I felt like a rock star. Everywhere I went, even with my wife by my side, I had the attention of every Filipina in the room. Of course, that was when I was young & goodlooking! Then again, all of my expat friends were in their 50s & 60s, and they made out quite well. When I lived in Davao, I was the deputy warden of that region(Can. embassy-voluntary position), and developed a fairly extensive evacuation program. Not to make you nervous, but if you are going into that area(Dipolog) it may be of value for you to have a few contact numbers, in case things get heated. pm me & I'll give you a number in Davao & my e-mail, should you ever need assistance. Middle East? My wife's cousin is married to a Norwegian diplomat, who spent much time in Iraq & Kuwait. What did you do while there? Which countries? They have a small beach resort on Talikud Island, in the Bay of Davao.

In Davao, and surrounding areas, I've had jeepneys, fishing business, built two fishboats, had a small resort and found that it is much easier to spend money, than make it. Overall, I wouldn't count on income earned locally to live there. Having said that, if either/both of you find yourselves in the Philippines, with your boats, we'll have to have a chat about another business I have in mind.
Mike
Old 02-03-2009, 11:09   #12

I think the feamale population in PI is about 3:1 but the main thing is they are looking for a better, more prosperous way of life. My wife had 3 sisters and 1 brother. One of her sisters had 4 girls & 2 boys. Another sister had twin girls and a boy. The other sister had 2 girls and 2 boys.

Boat yard? My self I've been thinking if setting up a little machine shop w/ welding gear. That's one thing I don't see much of in my travels. There's lots of little hole-in-the-wall weld shops but nothing in the way of precision work that I've seen.

Lancerbye,
I figure I have a couple more years, but sooner I hope.
August is when the typhoon season starts N. of the 10th parallel so expect some heavy rains and wind untill Feb.
..............................................._/)
Old 04-03-2009, 12:06   #13

delmarrey,
I see on your profile page that you are in a related trade to mine(welder/ship-plater). I do know of a pretty good machine shop in Davao. In the Shipyards/Drydocks here in Vancouver, I work with a lot of Filipino welders, all very good at what they do. During my first time living in the Philippines, I thought that everything was rudimentary. Guys sitting on bamboo scaffolding, holding a stick with a welding lens taped to it, wearing t-shirts, shorts & running shoes.LOL But once I started building a couple of fishing boats, I started to find shops that were more professional, and discovered that a shop located half a block from my home had a complete machine shop, including CNC machines! I'd been past that shop at least twice a day & hadn't known it was there.

Your in-law's going to do well with that Palawan property, as the gov. is concentrating on Palawan for eco-tourism. Do you belong to the boatdesign.net forums? I'm looking for someone to design a retractable sheer leg joint for me. If it's something you'd be interested in, have a look at the "shear legs" thread, under "metal boatbuilding" and pm me with your thoughts, here or there. I'm "welder/fitter" on there.