Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2018, 09:18   #1

Hello from Alberta

Hi all, greetings from southern Alberta. After reading lots of threads I decided to finally join and hopefully meet some fellow sailors in my area. I don't own a pocket cruiser yet and so am looking to meet people who are looking for day creator go out lake sailing with. Most of my sailing has been on dinghies with cadets, but I miss sailing and am trying to get back into it. I recently took my cya introduction to cruising course and am looking to get more courses.
The sailing bug was lit on fire a few years ago when I visited a friend in Sweden and we went sailing up the coast for a week. All other ocean "sailing has been with reserves or aid ships. I might regret this but I want to circumnavigate someday and need all experience I can get. This means I am more than eager to help with repairs to learn in trade for sailing.
Prairie sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 09:53   #2

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: Hello from Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie sailor View Post
Hi all, greetings from southern Alberta. After reading lots of threads I decided to finally join and hopefully meet some fellow sailors in my area. I don't own a pocket cruiser yet and so am looking to meet people who are looking for day creator go out lake sailing with. Most of my sailing has been on dinghies with cadets, but I miss sailing and am trying to get back into it. I recently took my cya introduction to cruising course and am looking to get more courses.
The sailing bug was lit on fire a few years ago when I visited a friend in Sweden and we went sailing up the coast for a week. All other ocean "sailing has been with reserves or aid ships. I might regret this but I want to circumnavigate someday and need all experience I can get. This means I am more than eager to help with repairs to learn in trade for sailing.
Welcome aboard. I am totally jealous you got to cruise Sweden. Check out Chestermere...I think there are some sailing clubs there. I know my brother is part of the Disabled Sailing Association there. Calgary also has a Bluewater Sailing Association chapter which could be cool depending on your longterm plans.

Unfortunately for us prairie people, chartering is our most reasonable option. Luckily there are tons of options in the PNW if (when?) you do go that route and flights are pretty cheap.
Old 20-04-2018, 10:45   #3

I've checked out the sailing clubs around here and they are all dinghy sailing. Ghost lake is the popular lake for stepping up into larger boats. Haven't found a club there though so branching out on here in hopes of finding someone. I was hoping to be able to purchase a boat this year but will have to wait until next year.
Old 20-04-2018, 10:50   #4

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

You're "only" a 5 hour drive from Somers MT. They've got quite a lot of boats there that have active races and cruising all summer. Lookup North Flathead Yacht Club, might be worth a drive for a long weekend.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 11:18   #5

Thanks for the information, but I'm going to contact wabamum yacht club as they are only a 4 hour drive and no potential hassle of border crossings.
Old 20-04-2018, 11:31   #6

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Thanks for the information, but I'm going to contact wabamum yacht club as they are only a 4 hour drive and no potential hassle of border crossings.
Well if you are going to drive all the way up here, there is this guy: Sailing Lessons Edmonton at Lac St Anne. I found him years ago when I was in your position but never did contact him.
Old 20-04-2018, 12:29   #7

My next course, advanced cruising I have to take on the coast (BC). The ghost lake sailing school has a 40 footer out there. I also have to do NAV and radio courses, but I can do those here. He like most people here has a boat moored in Nanaimo, but that is not a quick drive to go sail on the weekend. And his Catalina 26 is used for teaching so that's out as a rental.
Old 20-04-2018, 14:40   #8

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Welcome, as I mentioned in the other thread, it's always nice to meet another Albertan with the dream of cruising.
Look me up when you come to wabamun. I can introduce you to the marina owners, and a couple guys with boats up for sale.
And of course we will go for a sail:-)
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 15:09   #9

Boat: Hullmaster 27

There seems to be quite a few of us Albertans around here ... although I'm based in Calgary, my boat is out on the coast ... so no weekend sailing with it.
Kelkara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 20:52   #10

Quote:
I've checked out the sailing clubs around here and they are all dinghy sailing. Ghost lake is the popular lake for stepping up into larger boats. Haven't found a club there though so branching out on here in hopes of finding someone. I was hoping to be able to purchase a boat this year but will have to wait until next year.
Welcome fellow Albertan

The Glenmore Sailing Club has a large fleet of San Juan 21's which are keelboats. I was going to work with them on some lessons this year.
Unfortunately the City is lowering the level of the reservoir to do repairs on the dam.

I do work some schools on the West Coast and can put you in touch with them if you are interested.

PM me and I may be able to help you.

Jack
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 02:34   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Prairie sailor.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 06:02   #12

Enjoy your time here, always lots of good advice.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2018, 13:05   #13

Ok, didn't know they had keelboats. Last time I checked they only had dinghys listed, I will look into it.
Old 21-04-2018, 13:10   #14

Sounds great, I think I already responded that I would come up there for a long weekend if you take people out. It helped push me into joining, and I'd definitely like to see how the San Juan handles as it's one of the boats I like for design so would love to see how it handles and the layout in actual person instead of just a drawing. Also it's sacrilege for me to buy bud so I'd need to know your next favorite beer.
Old 21-04-2018, 13:23   #15

Quote:
Ok, didn't know they had keelboats. Last time I checked they only had dinghys listed, I will look into it.
The SJ's are all privately owned. But there was active racing on Wednesdays until the lowered the level of the resevoir. It was often possible to get a ride by showing up at the heritage parking lot with the appropriate gear.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote