Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-10-2011, 13:13   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Hello from Afghanistan

Hello everybody, I been looking over the forum for a little while trying to gather information on what I plan to do. A little background. I'm currently in Afghanistan. I'm a U.S. Government contractor. From Louisiana originally. Been here about 3 years. Haven't been back to the States since July 09. My Thai wife and I live in Thailand and own a restaurant on a beach road in the Gulf of Thailand. Hat Mae Rumphueng. I'm 54 years old and in very good condition. Have worked at sea a lot, but am not an experienced sailor. What I want to do is buy a good " blue water boat " in the Florida, Mexico, Guatemala. These are the boats that I'm looking at, Tayana 37, Westsail 32. Have been trying to my homework on these boats. I plan on living in Thailand 9 to 10 months out of the year, when I quit this, spending June, July, and maybe August in the States. I will learn how to sail " my boat " in the Gulf of Mexico, keeping the boat on the Hard in Florida when I'm not there. After I feel that I'm compitent enough, I might sail her to Thailand. Anyway, I like this forum. Where would I post a question regarding buying a boat outside the U.S. and bringing her to Florida, register her. Long winded introduction. My name is Sam; Thanks

Old 25-10-2011, 21:18   #2

Boat: Oyster 53
Re: Hello from Afghanistan

Sam,

Welcome and good choice in boats. Both the Tayana 37 and Westsail 32 are popular, sturdy seagoing vessels. I have had friends who had both and were in love with their boats. Both vessels have great pedigree as full keel, double enders as well. I like the Crealock designs and my last boat was a Bob Perr-designed Tayana, which I really liked. The Tayana 37 is more boat with more room and a longer waterline which means, all things being equal, she will be faster and more seakindly than the smaller Westsail. She probably will cost more too, but you get what you pay for. If you haven't done so already, check out www.yachtworld.com to compare boats and prices.

As for sailing in the GOM in the summer. You know it's hot b/c you are from Louisiana but what about hurricanes? That is is prime hurricane season which will limit how far you can go and will also raise the risk of damage if you put her in a marina in time and get a direct hit. Isn't that time of year the best time for the Gulf of Thailand?

We bought our Tayana in Thailand through Leemarine Brokerage. It was easy and we were able to get her US documented as well. You can check out my website for our experiences there. The best places to buy boats, as far as prices and variety in my opinion are Florida and Malaysia/Thailand. You might want to have a closer look around Thailand where the cruising grounds are top notch - and you already live there. Spend one season on the Andaman Sea side and the other season on the Gulf of Thailand side.

Just some random ideas.

Cheers.

Dhillen

Old 25-10-2011, 21:25   #3

Boat: Lagoon 420

You can check out this blog for Sailing Valentina. They are on a Tayana 37. Enjoyable read that I've followed for some time.

And, Welcome to CF Sam!

Sailing Valentina - Sonny and Kay Sides of Waxahachie, Texas* cruising on their Tayana sailboat****************************************** ************************************************** ***************************
Old 26-10-2011, 09:24   #4

Thanks Dhillen for the welcome. I probably have looked at over 1000 boats in the past 6 months, but have narrowed the search down to 4 models. As said before, Tayana 37, Westsail 32, also the Cheoy Lee 36 and the Formosa 41. You said you bought your Tayana in Thailand. I have a Brit friend there that really wants me to buy the boat in Thailand. Last R&R went to Oceans Marina in Pattaya, took a look at some of the boats for sale, called about one, a 32 ft, you can buy that boat in the States for a third of the what they wanted. Having said that, I have not looked extensively in Thailand. Your right about the summer being a great time to sail the Gulf of Thailand. I've done some diving out of Koh Chang Island and would love to have a good boat to sail the Gulf and head down to Cambodia too. I forget how many islands there are in the Gulf but it's a lot. I'll check out Lee Marine. My Brit friend is a good sailer so I've got a good instructor right there. Thanks again; SAM
Old 26-10-2011, 09:29   #5
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

Hey Sam, Welcome to the forum. Thailand is on the top of my list of places I want to see, love the food.
Old 26-10-2011, 09:31   #6

Thanks for the welcome krafthaus. I'll be sure to check out that blog, Sailing Valentina. Sam
Old 26-10-2011, 09:36   #7

Thanks captain58sailin. If your ever down our way, come by our restaurant, we live at the restaurant too, the beers on me. Sam
Old 26-10-2011, 09:41   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Yemen & Lebanon... the sailboat is in Lebenon, the dhow is in Yemen
Boat: 1978 CT48 & 65ft Cargo Dhow

Welcome to the forum Sam.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 09:54   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter

Ex-Farang (worked in Thailand for 4 years, where I met my wife), sailed GOT, Andaman and S. China Sea while in Asia (also lived HK for 4 years). Also, coincidentally, currently own a Tayana 37. Feel free to PM me!
Old 26-10-2011, 12:52   #10

Thanks James S for the welome, and sneuman, I'll get in touch. I love Thailand, hard to explain to folks that havn't been there. That Brit friend and his Thai wife introduced me to my now Thai wife. Couldn't have worked out better. There is alot that miss about the States. Spent about 15 years in Colorado before coming to this war. Was going to do a year and go back, then my friends wife wanted to know if I wanted to meet her friend, changed everything for me. It really is great. Miss hunting elk with my bow though. I want to do some serious water sailing">blue water sailing. Man have I got a lot to learn. But I know what the ocean is and have the deepest respect for it. A wealth of information on this site, that's for sure. Any advise will always be welcome. Sam
Old 26-10-2011, 13:06   #11
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

Thanks for the invite Sam.
Old 26-10-2011, 13:13   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Thanks for the invite Sam.
No problem, just let me know.
Old 26-10-2011, 13:18   #13

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Hi Sam and welcome. I had been to the "Land of Smiles" 8 times while I was running my import business. I cannot speak high enough of the place. I felt much safer there than when I lived in Hawaii. Does your wife enjoy sailing? My girlfriend there was terrified of the water, claiming spirits of folks passed away dwell there.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 14:39   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Hi Sam and welcome. I had been to the "Land of Smiles" 8 times while I was running my import business. I cannot speak high enough of the place. I felt much safer there than when I lived in Hawaii. Does your wife enjoy sailing? My girlfriend there was terrified of the water, claiming spirits of folks passed away dwell there.
Hi Celestialsailor, and thanks for the welcome, No, my wife does not sail, yet, but when I went there to meet her I asked her, using my friends wife as interpreter, if she would like to try scuba diving, she said she was a little scared but that she would try it. She loves it, which surprised everyone except me. I could tell this woman has sand in her. Tough, smart, honest, beautiful, I couldn't have done any better. She doesn't seem to have the superstitious mentality that a lot of Thai women have. She's very frugal, and worries about me spending a lot of money on a sailboat. I said, don't worry, maybe a little over 1,000,000 baht. HaHa. She says Oh My God. By the way, I'm getting into the import/export business along with the restaurant.
Old 26-10-2011, 14:54   #15
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hello from Afghanistan

Hi there.... Welcome to CF...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: