Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2011, 02:10   #16

Boat: Privilege 37
Re: Hello from a San Francisco Scaredy Cat

Open sea is the easy bit, the most dangerous part is close to land, and you already have that experience/knowledge.

Being frightened about this is experience is no biggy, that leads to better preparation.

Allowing your fears to conquer is a short step to being frightened to step outside the house
Old 25-08-2011, 07:44   #17

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

Cabo?
Why not gobble a fist full of reds and fly to Orlando?
Have you ever been to Cabo?

If you just keep going around the tip to La Paz or Loreto and into the Sea of Cortez you will be in the most amazing sea on the west coast.

The sailing will be fun if you get out into blue water, really special.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 07:48   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

cabo seemed so richy rich when i was there--hop over to mazatlan...is a bit nicer i think, especially if yer a low income cruiser like me......
or go up into sea of cortez a lil...splore a tad....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:30   #19

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Once you trust the skipper's ability and the boat's seaworthiness you'll do just fine. Always remember to wear a safety harness when you are at sea and even in the bay when the weather makes the waves bouncy. You definitely don't want to go over the side in that cold water up there.
kind regards,
Old 11-09-2011, 12:16   #20

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Enjoy the Bay!

Old 11-09-2011, 12:22   #21

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

No Worries, Kennau... a lot of us have made the trip many times both ways and it is magic out there, particularly when you are sailing down hill. There are some great suggestions here... 'Zee' is a great attitude check! A must have is some sort of self steering equipment or low amp draw auto pilot. Your partner should know about this if you don't already have it set up. You are aboard a sound boat, an experienced skipper and obviously have a thirst for adventure... what could possibly go wrong.
I mention the auto pilot/self steering system because driving 24/7 is hard on anyone and you want to be able to enjoy the trip with your partner without either of you being tired out. There are too many absolutely beautiful experiences offshore to let exhaustion get in the way of enjoying them.
Have a marvelous trip... cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:30   #22

kennau-- are you getting in some good sf bay practicing??? is a good place to do that--if ye can sail sf bay, you can sail anything anywhere. no sweat.
and what capt phill sed...auto is important...
and do think about coming to maz instead of cabo--unless ye like to look at mega yachts all over the place, and condos...yipes!!....cabo has some pretty caves, but is way too rich for my poor blood....and up into sea of cortez.....i havent gone up in there and i plan on going south from here to panama.....but i should be here for winter for finishing repairs then south...
Old 11-09-2011, 12:50   #23

Good point, 'Zee'... Cabo has turned into Disneyland Sud! Good to give it a miss and head for La Paz or Maz'.
Did you ever get your hatch screens sorted? CP
Old 11-09-2011, 12:50   #24
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

S.F Bay is a great place to start. It can be very challenging, and can test one's skills of seamanship. I sailed with other people, but really knew nothing. I took my lessons at Pier40. Then I sailed constantly on the bay, and started single-handing there too. For 18 months I prepped myself to leave the bay.

The ocean was a whole other experience. Not scary, but different. I never experienced sea sickness on the bay, but the ocean gave me over 2 days of it. Be prepared for that. Possibly go outside the bay, and do some sailing to see if it effects you.

The trip you will do can be done with the annual Baja Haha from Lat38 if you find comfort in being with others. It is called the Milk Run, because normally you go with wind, and wave. It is a great beginning for newbies. Leaving in early Oct. ,or even earlier to get to the border makes it even easier.

An excellent autopilot is essential for 2, or else it becomes work, and the fun starts to disappear. Usually an autopilot holds a course better than most humans also. Good preperation for the boat, and yourselves will enhance the trip immensley. You be able to do a watch alone, and recognize when sails need changing will assure you having a wonderful time. Take the lessons if you are not capable of doing this now. Your comfort zone will increase immensley.

There is so much beauty out there. It will change you if you are prepared in a wonderful way. If you are not prepared it maybe scary when it gets rough, and sooner, or later it will. Remember it's called the MILK RUN, so do your homework, and enjoy......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:54   #25

will be looking for ye if ye let me know when and what ye look like, once ye begin....
so much good info--ye cant help but do gooood!! is gonna be a great trip for you!!!
Old 11-09-2011, 12:58   #26

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I think a lot of new sailors worry that the boat will somehow capsize or suffer some disaster. Don't worry about that at all. With a competent skipper (who you have), the boat will be fine. So concentrate less on the boat and more on yourself -- make yourself comfortable, get a feel for walking around while heeled, enjoy the beauty all around you, get into a groove with the motion of the ocean. . . . At some point you can hold your fears in the palm of your hand, crumple them up and toss them away. It's a great feeling.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 13:00   #27

Great advice, Cormorant... well said! CP
Old 11-09-2011, 13:13   #28
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Another SF Bay sailor terrified of the ocean. Such peeps are a dime a dozen. The problem with sailing the bay is that you can sail your whole life here without ever venturing under that scary orange thing from which depressed people keep jumping.

I have a brother-in-law who has won six YRA season championships and yet is petrified of the ocean. It's crazy.

The solution is to get out there beyond the gate. Don't wait until it's time to head for Cabo. Get out there now and take a trip to Drakes Bay. Then do a trip to Half Moon Bay. Drop the hook in both places and spend the night out there. If you survive those, maybe, maybe, you're ready to head south.

If, after a few overnight trips outside the gate you're still terrified of the ocean, you probably don't belong out there. That's the honest word that you sometimes won't get on sites like this: sailing and cruising are not for everyone.
Old 11-09-2011, 13:44   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post

The solution is to get out there beyond the gate. Don't wait until it's time to head for Cabo. Get out there now and take a trip to Drakes Bay. Then do a trip to Half Moon Bay. ...
Yes, definitely. The worse part is at the western end of the Gate where there is shoaling with frequently uncomfortable (seasick inducing) and sometimes dangerous waves.

In his younger days, my boatbuilder had his boat sunk in South Channel. A wave drove the boat down onto the shoal and broke up the boat. After swimming for hours, he made it to shore. His companion never did. (Told to me by former sailboat racer and sailmaker James DeWitt.)

One should fully consider the sea state, current, and winds before entering/leaving the Gate.

Made several sailboat-race transits on the Aeolian Yacht Club sponsored Lightship Race. (This was 40-50 years ago when there was an actual lightship located 12 miles out the Gate.) While the conditions were never hazardous, it never failed that the entire four-man crew became seasick. Thankfully, the winds were strong enough that hoisting the spinnaker was not necessary to remain competitive.
Old 11-09-2011, 13:58   #30

Early sailors never knew the Bay existed because frequently there is fog blocking view of the entrance. Attentive/knowledgeable piloting is needed to transit under foggy conditions, and radar wouldn't harm either.

Looking toward the Gate from inside the Bay:

Tags
san francisco