Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2007, 07:13   #1

Boat: 19'6" custom center console
Hello from a Newbie

I stummbled upon this site while researching a potential new to me vessel. I have lived in the Fl. Keys for 27 yrs. 22 of them as a liveaboard on a '33 Glander Tavanna.5 yrs ago I finally bought a piece of property and was able to keep TYBEE in back of my house on the dock...shortly after my left hip blew out and I required a hip replacment... needless to say my beloved sailboat had to go. I am currently trying to sell my home and buy another sailboat. As I want to be able to cruise up the Tomm-Tenn waterway to Kentucky Lake and back to the Keys following the seasons and will mostly be singlehanding I have been researching options and have decided on a Freedom '33 cat ketch..... it has the shallow water and mast hieght requirements that I need.

I'm looking forward to the sale of my home and getting back on a boat...didn't think I would mss it so much....but once it gets in your blood I can't get it out.

Soooo I'll be around this forum and will keep updated on the boat

CLEAN WAKES
Michael
Tybee
tybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 07:38   #2

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Welcome Aboard Tybee, Hoefully you can get to the Tomm-Tenn Wateray without using the Mississippi River. I have been told the Mississippi is very busy and treacherous. I have heard the Mississippi River has a south flowing current of 5 knots. Sailing on the Delaware River was very slow sailing unless going South because of the 5 knot out going current.

John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 07:46   #3

Hi Sallywag, I plan on going in through mobile bay and avoiding the Big Easy alltogether
Old 27-07-2007, 08:01   #4

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Tybee, May the sale of your home happen quickly so you may move back aboard and fulfill your ambition.

John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 18:52   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I have been told the Mississippi is very busy and treacherous.
It may be that but it's very boring once you come south of the Ohio. River. The longer rivers of the world tend to be that way.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2007, 16:46   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Michael,
Welcome aboard!! Hope you can get back on te water soon. It has always been my dream to transit the Miss from Chicago to New Orleans.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2007, 20:38   #7

Boat: Gemini 105M, 34
Hi
We were thinking of doing the great circle so bought a 34 foot trawler. We are normally multihull sailors, so really did not like the movement of a monohull boat, but had fun anyway. While we were looking, there were Gulfstar trawlers, and sail boats. They looked the same, exept the trawlers did not have the mast. An idea would be to buy the sail version, store the mast on deck for the trip north, step it on the way south and have the best of both.....just an idea
captnknopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 14:23   #8

Boat: 1980 Watkins Aft Cockpit Cutter Rig - S/V Murf the Surf
Send a message via MSN to murfthesurf
Mississippi Transit

Hello All:

I have found a boat I am interested in purchasing, located on Lake Michigan. I want to eventually get to Florida, but would prefer not to haul it overland. Any chance of transiting the Mississippi South. What are the draft & mast height requirements etc?

Any help & suggestions would be appreciated ?!?

Thanx,

Scott
murfthesurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 15:05   #9

scott i have info from greatloop.com calumetdreams.com/index.html and also if you google tom -tenn waterway it gives you info on some of the routes. every state that you would pass through will have corp of enginner charts also there are several crusing guides out there...greatloop has almost all the links one would need...blue water charts has a free route planner. i do not recommend the miss. river as there is way too much commercial traffic and not much in the way of recreational marinas. from my research so far i am opting to take te tom-tenn waterway by going in at mobile ala. and then up. i have googled for several weekends researching this and there is mountains of info from many sources and one has to wade through it all. still waiting on the sale of my house before i can go much further. best of luck in your dream... post back or e-mail me for any ?????

CLEAN WAKES
Michael
Old 05-08-2007, 23:18   #10

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welcome Tybee,
Hope you enjoy the site as much as we do!
JOHN
Old 13-09-2009, 11:06   #11

freedom 33

Hello Tybee, Did you buy a boat? If not, I have a Freedom 33 that you might consider. I no longer have time for it. My son lived on it for 2 years while in school in Wilmington, NC. He loved it. His wife does not. I bought it in Ft Lauderdale and the 1st night out, on the way to NC, we were caught up in a storm with 50 knot winds. I about wet my pants, but the boat did fine. Centerboard with 3 1/2 to 6 ft draft. Great boat for thin water, as in eastern NC, but seakindly in the deeper stuff. Let me know if you're interested.
Thanks, Midcarol1
midcarol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 02:12   #12

Mid carol , I sent you an e-mail
tybee