Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2015, 11:10   #1

Boat: Starcraft Chieftan 22
Hello from a new "odd" member

Hello folks
The reason that I announce myself as a "odd" member is because I don't have a boat. What I am is middle age man who as always wanted to, but could never afford to get into boating for 1 main reasons. My wife and I have raised 5 children on a single salary.
What I do have is a "virtual" boat world that I am presently creating using, believe it or not, Microsoft Flight Simulator. Although it is mainly for aviators, it does contains scenery files for the whole world, and the waters are usable to be able to land float planes and for the few boats that have started being created for those who are interested.
Now for a bit of my history.
When I was a young boy, I designed and built a few small model boats out of Balsa wood. Then after purchasing a gas outboard for model boats, I designed and build 4 radio controlled model boats about 3' long. then in my late teens I built my first full size boat. It was a small 12' powered by my dad's 15HP outboard. Unfortunately, Due to improper storage, it no longer exist. The design for my boat was inspired by photos in a DIY boat building cataloged that I purchased in 1976. (See attached pictures)
In that cataloged there was one boat in particular that I considered to be my "Dream Boat". It is a 50' cabin cruiser.
Five years ago, I decided to order the plans to build a 65" long model of my dream boat. Although not completed, I do have a working model with all the structure, partitions and furniture. I even have a 12 V motor connected to a 2 1/2" prop and a radio control.
While looking on the Web site from the plan supplier, I discovered "The Great Loop". Since then, I have spent many hours following the path on Google Earth.
Last Year, I discovered that I could build my own virtual boat for Flight Sim. So I build my virtual Dream boat. I am now spending many hours going down the Great Loop in my virtual world. Although the actual sceneries are not realistic, and in some places lacking in precision, its all I have for now.

I have joined this site in hopes to be able to sometime get information to help me create better scenery to enhance my virtual experience.

For those who might be interested I have attached a picture of my virtual boat, a couple of photos of my model and the pictures of my 12 footer built in my teens.

Hopping I haven't bored anybody.

Michel Paquette
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Klondike_Avatar.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	108191   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010897.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	408.7 KB
ID:	108192  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010887.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	411.8 KB
ID:	108194   Click image for larger version

Name:	model boats-D.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	406.1 KB
ID:	108195  

Michel Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 11:28   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Hello from a new "odd" member

That is a great looking design! I'd like to see it built! That would be a great boat for my neck of the woods, or just about anywhere. Welcome here, by the way!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 11:56   #3

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Yes, welcome! It sounds like you get more 'sailing' in than many here, and enjoy your hobby. Good for you!
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 12:12   #4

Interesting intro. Professional mariners practice on ship simulators but I would imagine the software is quite expensive. Try googling Georgian College navigation simulator, you'll see what I'm talking about.

I'm also in the business of raising a family on a single income, but I do have an older boat that I am able to maintain, there's no doubt, it can be frustratingly expensive.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 12:33   #5

Boat: Starcraft Chieftan 22

FamilyVan
Took a quick look at that college. It looks like this is geared for the "Big Ships". It might still be interesting to try. In my search for a good boat simulator, I have come across simulators for those who wanted to handle big ships in a harbor. But I am more into pleasure cruise down the canals.

Michel
Michel Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 12:54   #6

Oh yes, I just thought it might be of interest to you, its definitely for big ships

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags