Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2006, 17:38   #1

Boat: Endeavour 40' Setting Sun
Smile Hello from a New Endeavour 40 Owner

Just agreed to purchase a 1981 Endeavour 40. It's in pretty good condition and I will be spending the winter getting it ready to cruise the ICW and then in 2008 head for extended cruising in the BAHAMAS. I need to pull the Perkins Engine (2,500 Hrs) and have some work done on the mains and valves. Will be expensive. Anyone have advise on the best way to get it out of the engine compartment??

I'm new to this site but it looks really good. Looking forward to having a browse.
engcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 18:44   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
You need to talk to "never monday" Pat. He posts here and gives great advice. Welcome to the site.
Old 09-12-2006, 20:31   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Engcon,
Welcome aboard!! Perkins is a great engine. I don't know your engine compartment but some require that the cabintry around the engine be dismantled, i. e. my Mariner 35, or that you bring the engine out in pieces. Depends on where the engine is located and what is in the way of a directly overhead (of the engine) crane hook or chain fall.
Good luck on your project. I'd rather have an old rebuilt Perkins than any new engine offered currently.
Kind Regards, JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:03   #4
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Welcome Engcon - We have about 6 Endeavour owners on board here. Do you have the Perkins 4154? You might also want to check out the Endeavour Owner's Forum Endeavour Sailboat Owners Forum They aren't very active, but there is a lot of information and resources listed there.

Good Luck!
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:14   #5

Boat: Endeavour 40' Setting Sun
Perkins is 4-108

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Elusive
Welcome Engcon - We have about 6 Endeavour owners on board here. Do you have the Perkins 4154? You might also want to check out the Endeavour Owner's Forum Endeavour Sailboat Owners Forum They aren't very active, but there is a lot of information and resources listed there.

Good Luck!
Thanks for the info. I have visited the Endeavour Owners Forum and got a lot of information on this exact boat (Notes: by Previous Owner) and lots of good info in general from the Forum.

Thanks again.
engcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 18:09   #6

Boat: Endeavour 42
New E-40 owner

Welcome to the Board-lot's of great info here. I too own an E-40, a 1982, hull #167. The 4-108 is a great engine-I have 3800 hrs. on mine w/very little problems. Unfortunately, the boat is a little heavy(25,000 unloaded) for the 37 hp the engine develops at cruising rpms. That is what has motivated me to consider replacing it w/ a bigger engine-something in the 50-55 hp range. And that leads to your question re the best way to remove the engine. My ponderings on this question has led me to believe that cutting an access opening in the bulkhead under the companionway steps is the most practical solution-and one that I think a few others have resorted to. You can strip the engine down some before removing. Rig a board/slide to the opening in the bulkhead, attach a come-along to the base of the mast and the engine and pull it foward until it is under the companionway opening. It can then be lifted out with a block and tackle, crane,etc. This is the rough outline of my plan and may need some fine tuning, esp. the sliding the engine part. Let me know what you decide. Cptn Happy
Old 30-12-2007, 09:46   #7

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
Hello fellow Endeavour 40 owners,
I just joined this forum and just noticed your post regarding removal of the engine. My boat is a 1984 model (hull #250). I have repowered with a Kubota engine so I'll outline how my wife and I removed the old Perkins and installed the new Kubota. If you have a generator, I've got good news and bad. The Good news: you already have large access panel behind the companionway stairs, If not, you're gona have to cut one. Probably not a really big deal .... just make straight cuts and use the panel you cut out as the new access panel (will require some trim, molding and hardware). If you don't have a generator, this access would probably make it easier to access your batteries, etc.

If you have generator, you'll have to move the generator and the engine out of the engine room. Here is how we did it:

1. Build a beam out of 2 each 2x8s with a piece of 3/4 plywood sandwiched (to strengthen the beam) in between (nail it or screw it all together). It should be long enough to reach from the mast back to the rear of the engine room (I don't remember now - 10' or 12' long). It doesn't have to be pretty and only has to last long enough to get the engine(s) out and then back in.

2. Remove the pumps and hotwater heater from the shelf over the Perkins. Also remove your batteries etc. located in front of the engine.

3. remove the whale gusher pump from the cockpit floor.

4. round up some 1 1/2" pipe nipples (3" or 4" long) and a couple of short lengths of chain.

5. place one end of the beam on the shelf over the engine, rig a line from the end of the beam, through the hole in the cockpit (where the whale gusher pump was) to the boom. fasten the main halyard to the end of the boom.

6. make a loop from a length of line placed in and out of the front two hatches in the salon. Use your snatch blocks and some line to rig a lift from one of your main winches, through the companion way, to the loop and down to the front of the beam.

7. with the beam level and setting on the shelf over the engine, connect the chain to the engine then run it through the pipe nipples on top of the beam and back down to the engine (one chain at the front of the engine and one chain at the rear of the engine).

8. It is best to strip the engine of excess (transmission, alternator, etc.) parts, disconnect all wires and remove the nuts from the top of the engine mounts. then using the winch and main halyard lift the beam which in turn will lift the engine off the motor mounts.

9. My idea was to use the pipe nipples to roll the engine forward to a spot underneath the companionway. It does not roll that easy but if you take a hammer and bang on the nipples (first one and then the other) it will move forward.

10. when the engine is under the companionway just use the winches to lower the engine down then remove the beam until you are ready to reinstll the engine.

11. At this point have the yard remove the engine with a cherry picker etc. It'll take them about 5 minutes (remember you stripped the engine to get it out of the engine room so now it will also fit out of the companion way.

It might sound complicated but Pat and I remove our engine AND generator in about two or three hours. The real problem is gathering up all the needed stuff and stripping the engine and shelf. While everything was out we cleaned up in there and did some painting.

That is just the way we removed our perkins and there are probably many other ways to do this but hopefully this will help.
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2007, 10:52   #8

Boat: Endeavour E40
engcon, welcome, happy to see you have an E40 also.
Where'd you find her? I have the same PERKINS and had the engine surveyed last year before I purchased, seems to be doing fine, apparently they are a tough little engine. I also have a new KUBOTA generator, but I still upgraded the alternators, regulators, AGM's and everything else associated with the charging system......
VERY happy with this boat.. expect to go extended cruising to the Carribean later in '08.
You'll find a lot of knowledgeable sailors on this forum as I have and just as many opinions..... it's very entertaining!
GOOD LUCK!
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
High Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2007, 11:05   #9

We bought the boat in Annapolis over 15 years ago (how time flies) and have lived aboard all but about three years since then. Sailed and lived aboard (pre retirement)in the Chesapeake, Washington DC, Key largo, New Orleans, Pensacola and the Bahamas. Love the boat .... started working on it when we bought it and have been working on it ever since. Let me know when you leave for the Caribbean. I guess you'll probably go down the Tenn-Tom. If our boat is still in Demopolis we'll try to get together.

Keep us informed of your progress.
Old 31-12-2007, 09:22   #10

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Some Pics May Help....

Welcome aboard and congrats on your new purchase. We looked at several E40s during our search. As you may already know, the fuel tank is an achilles heel on these boats as they are directly underneath the engine compartment in a bilge pocket. Water gets in there and the aluminum tank just sits in a corrosive bath. The mast step is a similar issue, except it's steel sitting in the bilge (on my boat as well).

One of the E40 owners on the Endeavour Owner's forum sent me these photos of his tank removal. It should give you a good idea of the access cut he made to get the engine out.

And now the reason why he took it out....

Best of luck to ya!

Old 15-01-2008, 14:47   #11

E 40 Fuel Tank Refit

I am about to remove the tank on my 83 E40 and I am under the impression that the tank will need to come out in pieces if the engine is not removed. Is this correct?

wrussell
wrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 17:15   #12

New member Alberg 30 owner

Hi everyone, thought I would join this site to gain more information.
Presently a owner of Alberg 30 that I reconditioned last year, although sailed her for 4 years already. My wife ,daughter and I have been putting the "plan" to-geather for some time, going south.

We would like to upgrade to a Tayana 42 or another Whitby Boatworks vessel the Whitby 42 , Alberg's where made by Whitby.

We are located in Ontario Canada and I just happen to be a duel citizen Canadian and American. We are interested in some information on Home School for our 11 year old and think we would like to keep her curriculm CA as this is how its been so far.

I will post photos of my hull restoration at a later date once I figure this all out. you can view the photos on my boatbook, but I dont know how that works yet. So I posted a forum "hull repair" think you can link on and view that way?
johnanddeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 17:42   #13

Boat: Newport MKII 30 - Solution
Hi Johnanddeb and welcome; this is a wonderful place. I have an ex-cousin (smart enough to have jumped out of my extended family tree) who is a heavy-hitter in the homeschooling world. You can google her: "Ann Lahrson Fisher" she has written several books on homeschooling. Hope that helps.
Old 15-01-2008, 17:53   #14

Thanks for the info, since Im new to this I meant to sent this to new thread, so others could reply, again thank you

John & Deb
johnanddeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 19:17   #15

WRussel,

No, you will not have to cut up the fuel tank to remove it but you will have to cut the cross beam which is located just behind the shower sump. Lots more info on the endeavour owner forum site .... Endeavour secured the tank in different way in diffferent years .... If I can help, email me.

Tags
endeavour

« newbie | New »