Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2019, 11:22   #1

Hello for Atlanta, Ga!

Hello all! What kind of boat should I buy??

Seriously though...

Like several others nowadays, I got interested in sailing/cruising from watching all the glitzy YouTube videos featuring bikini clad beauties enjoying mai tai’s and gorgeous sunsets in exotic locales all over the globe... I was pretty positive the reality was a bit different than the hype and started educating myself a little. That process eventually led me here and lurking about the past few days has indeed been educational, a cold dose of reality for sure. I already knew sailing was potentially very expensive but being a diy type with a good deal of mechanical experience and ability to fix things I feel like I would be able to mitigate at least some of the expenses associated with cruising.

While I currently do not have a boat, I do have a good idea what I’m looking for but first things first. I live close enough to Florida that I am lining up sailing lessons (ASA in Panama City) to get myself up to snuff with the actual mechanics of sailing. I’ve done some sailing before in much younger years but only on trailer sailers and only in millpond smooth conditions... my plan is to go through the courses (I went ahead and purchased the 101 and 103 books, along with a few other instructional books so I can have the academic side underway) up to the bareboating/chartering level, get comfortable singlehanding and then get serious about finding a boat in the 30-36 foot range. I’m trying not to be all starry-eyed about it and go on about how I can’t wait to do this, that or the other... like I said, first things first... I have a private pilots license so I’m aware that reality can differ from perception but I’m also aware that there’s no shortage of people still sailing (and flying!) despite the costs, headaches and heartbreaks. If you want to do something bad enough, you’ll find a way to make it happen.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!!
kd410se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 11:28   #2

Re: Hello for Atlanta, Ga!

Ugh... obviously the title should read: Hello FROM Atlanta,Ga...
kd410se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 11:35   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Hello for Atlanta, Ga!

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, kd.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote