Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2007, 22:29   #1

Hello fellow sailing enthusiasts

I've been lurking here for a while picking up bits here and there. I finally decided to say hi and thank you all for the helpful information. I am so new to sailing that I've never set foot on a boat more than once or twice in my life but I've admired them from afar all my life.

I am looking to take sailing courses next spring-summer at the Offshore Sailing School, then pick up a used 30' Cape Dory and cruise about for a few years.

Look forward to seeing you asea,
Chris
cjbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 03:56   #2

Boat: Olympic 23 "Oddyssea"
Welcome aboard, CJ!

I commend your decision to grab life as you choose, and make of it what you will. This should be a great experience and one you will cherish forever. You should do some spicing up on your profile and let us in on your port, etc. So many people here with great knowledge and ideas. I often spend hours and hours reading through the threads. I even download content to my pda because it reads like a book, when i can't get online. Welcome again, and don't be shy anymore... Keep the reports and words flowing!

Old 15-08-2007, 10:30   #3

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Arrrr and welcome... Oops strike the Arrrr... I just got back (via Air) from Tortola and spent too much time at the festivals and the Rum had/ still has me in a Pirate mode. (did sea trials on a 36' mono I'll looking to buy).

I also did a lot of reading and leering at sail boat as I got interested in them some 25 years ago.. still do a lot of reading and grab every magazine I can get my hands on... preferably where someone else purchased them!!

Do take a sailing course, ASA others have them in many places. Just check on them to see if they are any good as instructers... some are poor and may know as little as you but just enough to get certified to teach. Knowing the "book" and actually knowing how to sail are sometime a bit different. Pick a good one and Offshore Schools are usually good but make sure the Offshore isn't just talking about being off land in a small puddle. Some consider anything not in the parking lot or classroom as being offshore.

I did the ASA classes through Charter Boat Certification which some of the better charter companies require to charter a boat. Some will charter to anyone who can make the payment and their boats are typically in poor condition.

Get use to your area then as your time/ finances allow look at sailing in other interesting places. I love the BVI and it is relatively easy sailing even for someone with limited coastal sailing experiences. The Florida Keys are another location but for some reason more expensive than British Virgin Islands.

Key thing is to get out on the water and put your "book" knowledge to work. Take every occasion you can to expand your practical knowledge as you keep your reading interest in sailing.

Fair winds..

ken
Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 12:10   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Chris,
Welcome aboard!! Good to have you here. I'm a believer in taking sailing classes as a new sailor. There are a few companies that are only in it for the dollars so I'd avoid the really big name sailing schools and see if you can find a credible smaller operation. Even a local experienced skipper will get you out there safely and teach you what you need to know.
Cape Dory is a great boat but there are others built to the same quality with good reputations. Allied Seawind is one that comes to mind.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 14:04   #5

Thanks for the positives

Hi guys! Definitely taking ASA courses, I'll look around in the FL area for a teacher near where I'm buying the boat so I can liveaboard if possible. Thanks for the heads up on Allied, I looked at them and like the 32' Allied Seawind II. Only a couple of feet more but with more water and fuel capacity, the "built to exceed Lloyds of London AAA rating" is nice to know. I'm thinking that the Allied a better deal. I'll have enough money for necessities and repairs for three to five years of uninterrupted sailing. I'll work on my sailing skills for captains papers or just drift in the middle of the emptiness as the weather decides.

I'll make jewelery and crafts from whatever I can find in port. I'll write, photograph, and make a book or series of magazine articles on my travels to shop around. I'll work a part time job and backpack through countries I've seen on television then set sail again. I'll fish and snorkel and swim with dolphins and whale sharks. I'll eat native goods instead of fast food and over processed junk food. I'll run small cargo and passenger charters. I might pirate a bit I might sink in a storm off Cape Horn or a collision with a reef or another ship. I might find Atlantis, a mermaid, or Cthulhu. I'll find joy and love and friendships. And pain and sadness and fear. I'll find my own way. I won't be a half alive drone slogging about on antidepressants and waiting to die.
cjbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2007, 15:27   #6

Boat: Olympic 23 "Oddyssea"
Thumbs up

I might find Atlantis, a mermaid, or Cthulhu. I'll find joy and love and friendships. And pain and sadness and fear. I'll find my own way. I won't be a half alive drone slogging about on antidepressants and waiting to die.

Most excellent choice of words, my new friend... I see you carry the gift of the Golden Quill. A fellow writer, methinks... if not a hopeless dreamer as I'm.
Let us know all, and leave no word unwritten, I think you and I share alot more in common than not.
Do good things, and good luck. Your dream will happen.

Dale