Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2010, 02:47   #16

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
PS Now watch someone say how wrong I am! LOLOL

In my case, so what if not too many people around here like wood boats? As above you can install a potbelly stove and use the thing for fire wood as bits fall off or need replacement? Well at least until the ice crushes the hull?
Old 17-10-2010, 04:24   #17

hi and thanks

Hi this is Lisa, Dave's wife thanks for the responses so far, had my second day of sailing today totally hooked and can't wait to learn all there is to learn.

Many thanks for the responses so far, there appears to be a fantastic sailing community out there with a wealth of experience and only too happy to share. As we are beginners all your ideas and experience are openly welcome. It appears that with every query that is answered another 10 scenarios and questions unfold, which I will post up for advice over the coming weeks.

We are looking at starting a blog from newby to "hopefully fully fletched cruisers" and the ups to downs to get there so should be a good story and tell.

One thing we have learned over the past few days with our instructors and your wonderful responses today is that we need to try as many boats as we can while we learn to hopefully give us a better idea of what we what from sailing and the boat to for us.

I think for the first boat we will NOT attempt the higher latitudes (contrary to Dave's enthusiasm) until we are experienced enough at getting around. In the meantime I am happy with mastering the tropics and maybe the english channel LOL
Osirian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 04:34   #18
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osirian View Post
we will NOT attempt the higher latitudes
Someone told me its cold up there.

Many have advice to check the butter. If its melted then you are in a good cruising place better check mine..... Perfect!!!!!!!!!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 05:08   #19

Another thing I have seriously been thinking about is how some sellers are still asking big bucks for immaculately maintained American boats. For example here are couple of cold weather friendly ones that would interest me. (Noting as in “The Castle I am only “Dreaming”, but maybe so too are the sellers and might take a serious offer?), Not saying these are perfect examples. I just pciked them to show how some of the better designed boats I admire tend to hold their value.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatMergedDetails.jsp?boat_id=2150565&ybw=&units=F eet&currency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=6944&url=

And,

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatMergedDetails.jsp?boat_id=2236187&ybw=&units=F eet&currency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=76847&ur l=

(How kooky is the brass dolphin on the Gozzard gunwale? I have seen similar designs at Foots Artworks on Hamilton Island, however that is a first!).

Considering these boats are all nearly 20 years old for the same money why wouldn’t you just go out and buy something like an Island Packet Estero brand new? I am sure the base price is only something like $80,000 US? (Quoting off my head from a recent Cruising World so I might be incorrect!).

See, http://www.ipy.com/ShowBoat.asp?bEarly=0&sBoat=Estero

At least if you did a bit of cruising over there to iron the bugs out under warranty you would be a lot better off than buying an aging lemon at half the price and ending up spending the same anyway?

Sorry if I am flooding the post, but when buying my latest boat I pondered similar questions and with the dollar the way it is best of luck to anyone who can fulfil the dream!
Old 17-10-2010, 06:21   #20

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Go look at a lot of boats with your checkbook at home. Look at a LOT of boats. Find out what features are important to you. Do this locally and don't worry about the asking prices- you are just looking at features. Different people like different things. Once you have a checklist of must have features, you can narrow your list down to models that meet your requirements. Do not fall in love with one model and one model only. That is a surefire way to guarantee that you will spend more than you had planned!

When it comes time to purchase, buy a boat that "does it" for you. If it does not tug at your heartstrings, you will become frustrated with every extra repair and expense. If you love the boat, it makes the surprises along the way sting a bit less.

If you take the approach to shop features before hand, you will be able to figure out what locality has the most bang for your buck and stock of boats to choose from.

Good luck! I look forward to hearing how it goes for you.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 07:03   #21

Boat: Prout Manta 38
I'd like to second (or third or fourth) the suggestion to go look at a wide variety of boats. It's amazing how much you can learn just getting on one and looking around. Of course, doing the research is important, but you can't tell if a boat is going to feel right without looking. For each one, you will come away with a list of pluses and minuses that will go into the list of things you find important. At some point, you get past the obvious things and start looking at things like "can I get to all sides of the engine without risking major back surgery or having to lose 30 pounds". Then, when you fall in love, you find out which of those things were really important to you, and which you were really willing to compromise on. (It's funny, the captain and I still look fondly at the boat models that spent time on our top five list.)

What I really wanted to say was to not forget to enjoy the boat search process. It's like dating. Try not to rush it.

Carrie
Kimarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 07:22   #22

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I would suggest a small catamaran or power cat. More than a few catamaran owners/charterers have never used their sails. But with time and experience they might just run them out and see what happens.
- - For OJT sailing, simplicity is the prime directive. You can drive a car you can probably drive a power yacht. Sailing has a bit more of a steeper learning curve.
- - Transitioning from a land life to waterborne life can be rather traumatic when it comes to space (sq.meters) and utility usage (water, electricity, etc.). So I would recommend a small catamaran from a builder who believes in making things extra strong. Ask the folks on the Catamaran/Multi-hull section of CF and they will give you a wide range of good options on specific boats to consider.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 07:41   #23

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long
Hi - absolutely look at lots of boats and keep a note of the features - we still do this after six and a half years aboard RG! Also try and sail as many as possible. How much heel is tolerable for you? Would you like a centre cockpit.? What about ketch vs sloop? How much does speed matter? You learn more from sailing it than just looking!

And below - what's the galley like? How big is the bed and is that big enough? Are there good sea-berths? How much stowage? A decent wet locker, a shower, heads? And so on and on and on.

My view is that often get more cruising boat if you buy a good used vessel that has a lot of kit on board but is sound. Cos you'll need more kit than you can believe, even if you're minimal boaters. A windscoop, a windlass, additional anchors, a bimini, a stove .... Every time there's something already on the boat you don't have to buy it (or at least not till it breaks down!) That's money you can spend not working, or on training, or whatever!

Most of all enjoy the looking. Finding the right boat (in price, kit, location, style) is not just a distraction, but part of the adventure.
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 14:24   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaring Girl View Post
My view is that often get more cruising boat if you buy a good used vessel that has a lot of kit on board but is sound. Cos you'll need more kit than you can believe, even if you're minimal boaters. A windscoop, a windlass, additional anchors, a bimini, a stove .... Every time there's something already on the boat you don't have to buy it (or at least not till it breaks down!) That's money you can spend not working, or on training, or whatever!

Most of all enjoy the looking. Finding the right boat (in price, kit, location, style) is not just a distraction, but part of the adventure.
I agree this is the advantage of buying something that has been recently cruised/lived aboard. They might seem cluttered, but at least a lot of that “junk” and features are actually going to come in handy? Then someone has been onboard hopefully keeping up the maintenance. One feature you missed that I would be looking for is wind vane self steering. For basic tips on inventory and design there are good books out there like Vigor’s “The Seaworthy Offshore Sailboat”.

Hey – at least the adventure continues after you buy the boat! Likewise, I am still using threads like this to confirm I did not get that bad a deal and where I can go next.
Old 18-10-2010, 16:57   #25

Hi everyone

Thank you so much for your advise.

We hadn't considered a multiple hull solution but on the advise of this thread we looked into it, and wow what an option for a live aboard

Can anyone tell us the Main issues with a multihull?

One slight problem. There's A ten year Waiting list on berths in Perth. So it doesn't matter if we have a 3 million dollar super yacht we're somewhat stuck if we wanted to live and work here in the medium run

but in the words of Keith olbermann "time marches on" and so shall we

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 18-10-2010, 17:25   #26

Boat: Prout Manta 38
Any chance you can buy a boat that comes with a slip?

Multihulls-

Because of size, a slip may be harder to find and/or more expensive.

Don't go to weather as well. May be noisy in a chop.

Don't like to be overloaded.

Newish ones are expensive. Oldish ones are not as plentiful as oldish monohulls.

Not amenable to being steered with a windvane.

Sailing in heavy weather requires different techniques than monohulls. (Heaving to may or may not be possible/recommended).

We love ours!

(Well, you only asked for the issues.)
Carrie
Kimarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 03:01   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimarah View Post

Because of size, a slip may be harder to find and/or more expensive.....,,,,,

We love ours!

(Well, you only asked for the issues.)
Carrie
Similarly, if you Google various marinas over here you will discover it cost a lot more to berth a multi-hull. Basically this is because they take up twice the space. Then again, you do basically get twice the living area and they are almost twice as fast downwind. Still, those marina fees can be quite overboard and might really break the budget? (More confusion? Just take it easy!)
Old 22-10-2010, 03:12   #28

Boat: Stevens 47
I have a Stevens 47 for sale in Auckland. I spent a ton of money on it before I sailed down here from the US. It is completely set up for long term blue water cruising. That means you have NO money to spend setting it up. It has everything you need for extended cruising and is widely recognized as one of the best Water boats">blue water boats ever made. The price I want is not that far away from your budget but only as long as the aussie dollar is at or near parity with the US dollar.

Leave a msg for me on here and I' will be glad to show you the boat!

Michael
Old 22-10-2010, 21:46   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangiroo View Post
I have a Stevens 47 for sale in Auckland. I spent a ton of money on it before I sailed down here from the US. It is completely set up for long term blue water cruising. That means you have NO money to spend setting it up. It has everything you need for extended cruising and is widely recognized as one of the best blue water boats ever made. The price I want is not that far away from your budget but only as long as the aussie dollar is at or near parity with the US dollar.

Leave a msg for me on here and I' will be glad to show you the boat!

Michael
Hi there do you have any pictures?
Old 05-11-2010, 13:33   #30

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha,
Wishing you a welcome aboard and the best of luck.
kind regards,