Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2007, 06:35   #1

hello everyone

I have always wanted to sail. I have little sailboat experience.. Out in Key West for a cruise and recently on a Catboat at Mystic Seaport. I have an interest in wood working with primitive tools and would like to someday build and sail a catboat. But first I must learn to sail! I am retired and do have time! I got a hold of two 21 foot boats a Clark San Juan and a RK21. While I can find much on the Clark the RK21 is a hard boat to research. Does anybody know of posted info? Like I said I have no sailing/boating experience so there is much to learn. I would perfer "hands on" and would love to hook up with CatBlueMoon if she would have me. I was wondering if anybody can offer help in getting started. Thanks Lance
Lance W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:57   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Lance,
Welcome aboard!! Good to have you here. There are lots of books in the library about sailing and lots of clubs that offer sailing lessons. If you'd like to get started I'd recommend you get a copy of "Start Sailing Right."
The San Juan is a good boat to learn on and if you have access to the water with it then I'd be down there sailing now.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:04   #3

Hey Lance!

Mystic CT? I used to live in Norwich. Sailing is pretty easy to be honest. I remember my dad telling me "you learn how to sail in a weekend and you'll be good at it in 20 years." That's pretty much the learning curve. The basics are fairly simple to grasp, and then the harder stuff comes with time and experience.

If I ever step foot on a boat with a skipper who firmly states that they are a good sailor, I'll probably step right off that boat. No matter how much you know, there's always more, or a different way, especially on bigger boats.

Good luck, don't get overwhelmed, and try to balance the unfun projects with ones that remind you how much fun it is to be on the water.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote