Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2007, 23:02   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Maestro
Hello Everyone

I've been watching and reading this site for quite a while now (ok on and off for about four months) and thought it was about time to introduce myself briefly. I am a long time monohull owner/sailor with a lot of coastal experience and a few offshore journeys in the South Pacific to my credit. I currently have a monohull but am seriously looking to go "multi" for extensive offshore cruising and retirement.

I really enjoy reading everbody's opinions and hope to benefit more from the wealth of knowledge found here.

Cheers
Kiwikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 14:18   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Wlecome Kiwikat! Where abouts are you located? I am very curious about your south pacific adventures. Maybe you can fill in some of your profile to unravel the mysteries!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 14:23   #3

Talk to some cat converts... I would like to read about the transitions and the issues... like haulouts and so on.

jef
sv shiva
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 18:31   #4

Nice to hear from you folks. Not much of a mystery Dan. Just love the south pacific and don't feel a real need to go and do a circimnavigation or anything like that. Our boat is thoroughly set up for cruising and would take us anywhere but my preference for more space and a flatter world is the key. Trouble is this part of the world can really throw it at you, out there in the ocean so the research has been ongoing from every book, magazine, internet site, to picking the brains of friends (or strangers), who have already made the conversion from mono to multi.
Both NZ and OZ have suitable haulout facilities, albeit expensive (sigh), but that's boating for ya. The good thing about a "cat" is that you can always run it up on to a beach for that little bit of maintainance or even an antifoul job, (if you don't want to be too fussy).

So all I need to do now is find the right "cat" at the right time, at the right price and THAT is easier said than done!!!!!!!!
Old 09-08-2007, 00:50   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha KiwiKat,
Welcome aboard!! Good to have you here and I hope you enjoy the information on the forum as much as I do.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 18:34   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
We get a few visitors here at Changi as well as Raffles and RSYC. I seem to notice the cats a lot more. Many boats are a crew of two.

I think the cats might be akin to going camping in a campervan as opposed to the family station wagon. All the cats I see look comfortable and the crews happy.

One mono couple came ashore and stayed around for about 2 weeks. I got a sense the wife wasn't extremely interested in getting back on the boat. The cat people seem to hardly come ashore...

Hmmm.... Just my unscientific observations from teh armchair - LOL
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:25   #7

welcome kiwi cat. Farr 1104 now that is a good boat! If you want to sell it talk to me! I know someone looking for one!
Old 10-08-2007, 02:49   #8

Boat: Southerly UK 37ft
welcome.... drop me a line ? I sail the Med for 50 years... and live in Haifa, Israel

Mike

migot1
migot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:46   #9

Boat: Lagoon 37
welcome "Kiwi" once you go cat you won't go back We live on our 37 lagoon and love it. A flat world is a comfortable world. And remember we are also fast.
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 20:18   #10

[quote=southernman]welcome kiwi cat. Farr 1104 now that is a good boat! If you want to sell it talk to me! I know someone looking for one![/q

Sorry Southernman, but at the moment this is looking like a 2 year plan and the boat is the absolute last thing that gets sold!!!! Will keep you in mind nonetheless. Thanks.

Lisa and Clyde
Old 19-08-2007, 20:27   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusDreaming
welcome "Kiwi" once you go cat you won't go back We live on our 37 lagoon and love it. A flat world is a comfortable world. And remember we are also fast.
It's funny you know, years ago we used to sit in the yacht club with a mate of our's arguing the pro's and cons of mono v multi. We thought he was mad building a cat. Now we are hooked ourselves. Ain't life grand!!!

Cheers
Lisa and Clyde
Old 29-08-2007, 15:56   #12

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Guys,
Welcome.
The old debates of mon v multi will always rage - but they are all boats and the more people who take to the sailing scene - the better world we will have.
But (just can't help myself here) do not confuse fast race cat with slower cruiser cats.
Cats usually go quick because they are light. Load them up to travel a distance and you might be suprised to see a similar length and loaded monhull actually overtake you. Albeit at an angle of heel:-)
Cheers
JOHN