Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 11:25   #1

Hello, everyone

I figured I would introduce myself since I have spent the last couple of weeks reading a ton of threads from everyone. I will be a regular sponge around here and I hope no one minds a noob asking random questions. : ).

Hubby and I are planning on purchasing a cat and changing lifestyles once the kids have graduated. We are down to 8 years! Lol It sounds like a lifetime but if it passes as quickly as the last 8 years, I know it will be here before we know it.

Cheers!
Gypsy_Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:13   #2

Boat: Haida 26
Re: Hello, everyone

Welcome the forum, Your're love it here. All the best..Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:16   #3

Thank you, Michael! It seems like an interesting and eclectic group. ; )
Old 02-02-2012, 12:56   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hello, everyone

Greetings Gypsy...
Welcome to CF...
eclectic huh....!
Wow..!! who'd a thought it...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:59   #5

Haha! I thought I was putting it nicely. : p

Hi, Boatman and thank you for your welcome. : )
Old 03-02-2012, 04:29   #6

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Welcome aboard, Gypsy Soul. Hope you can enjoy some cruising before your retirement date!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:51   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Gypsy_Soul.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:13   #8

Welcome aboard Gypsy. You didn't give us muc about your history with sailing or boats... but if you two are starting from zero /scratch.. you can accomplish an awful lot in the 8 years you are looking at. Each of us will have a different trajectory of getting to the stage to move to full on live aboard and cruising mode... and a different starting place and goals of course . But rest assured the collective wisdom on this and other forums will give you almost all the information you will need... and from those who have already been there and learned from their experience (mistakes). When you ask something you'll likely be flooded with responses. Information overlaod.

I will broefly mention that my own zero to full on live aboard cruiser was about 6 years. Along with my commitment at the beginning I purchased a new 36' monohull which although ready to sail required many upgrades to bring it to offshore live aboard cruiser status. There was no internet back then and so it was a bit harder for a newbie to source reliable information and products... but back then we managed.

In my experience I both learned to sail my boat, learned about the weather, the sea, navigation and so forth with hands on experience on the boat which I would cruise and live aboard.

Your situation may be very different if you don't intend to acquire the boat until close to the time you intend to move aboard. My suggestion is that you spend a few of those 8 years in sourcing the right boat and acquire it and use it as much as possible on weekends even to get familiar with it and perhaps do the upgrades you deem necessary.

I can't emphasize enough the need to know your boat and its systems. And the best way to accomplish this is to do the work yourself. This means you'll become a bit of a plumber, electrician, rigger, joiner and engine mechanic. By the time you two are ready to cast off your dock lines you'll have the skills and the confidence to be self reliant... the hallmark of the cruising sailor.

Technology is changing very fast. Don't be overly concerned at having the cutting edge gear waiting for the latest date to acquire and install. Most of it does the same basic things ... a speed log is a speed log is a speed log. There is much to be said for the KISS approach - Keep It Simple Sailor.

Now go out and do it. You've made an awesome decision and will not regret it.

Fair winds and following seas may you find in your future!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:46   #9

Thank you all for the welcome. : ) I hope we are able to get in some time before we are ready to take the plunge.

We are definitely starting from scratch. My most serene moments in life were when visiting the ocean. It never occurred to me to be a live aboard until about a year and a half ago. We were hanging out with some long time friends and a discussion was going on about what everyone's dream car was. When the question was posed to me, somewhere in the back of my mind conjured the immediate reply of "I don't want a car. I want a boat." That was the moment that my hidden seed began to grow. I have searched a ton of blogs and forums since then. (I should have bought stock in google).

I am happy to have found my way to this forum. Like I said, I've lurked for about a week or so getting a feel for the atmosphere and I like it here. I can see what you mean by overload though. But, its all with good intentions. ; )

We have been working on paying off our debts and other than my student loans, we are down to almost nothing. I definitely want to get them paid off within the next couple of years. We have no plans on taking debt as a co-captain. We have also began putting $350/wk into a savings account for our goal. We figure we will work our butts off for the next 8 years while the kids are finishing high school before we are ready to buy. Then we want to transfer our jobs somewhere on the coast and live for a year while we continue our jobs/put into the cruising kitty/ work on our boat and get a feel for her. The plan involves buying one that will need some work but still be live able at the same time. That way all our cash will be directed exactly where it needs to go.

Someone suggested to another poster check out the boat shows now for one you may want later. It seems like sound advice. After all, those boats will have a few years on them at that point. : )

I am glad that you have made your dream happen when you started from scratch. It helps me to know that it is definitely possible and that we're not crazy! Lol

: )
Old 03-02-2012, 07:47   #10

Oh, I should also mention that we are planted in the Midwest so there aren't a lot of opportunities for us here to hang out at a marina. : (
Old 05-02-2012, 15:07   #11

Chicago is in the MW... but cornfields... no marinas. That will limit your learning to web and books and some vacation up close and personal experiences for the foreseeable future. Don't give up.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 16:40   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef
Chicago is in the MW... but cornfields... no marinas. That will limit your learning to web and books and some vacation up close and personal experiences for the foreseeable future. Don't give up.
We are in the great state of Ohio. We could in theory, head up to Sandusky for a weekend and could probably mosey around there. Otherwise....you're right, it is going to be from web and books for now. We are trying to figure out how to be living on the coast in 2-3 years vs our 8 year plan. I feel like if we put it out too far then life will get in the way and we won't do it. The kids want to do it as well and are excited. How their attitudes change in the next couple of years is yet to be determined. They are 9, 12 and 13. But, we are way determined (myself the most).
: D
Old 05-02-2012, 18:10   #13

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
You could enroll in a family camp type sailing school. That way everyone would have a better idea about what they are working towards.
Old 05-02-2012, 18:42   #14

Boat: Rinker 96 Captiva 190
Welcome Gypsy-Soul. I've been lurking on these same threads, dreaming the same dreams. I've been a power boater for ten years and have been dreaming of trading up to a sailing vessel for the past four years . Also from central ohio I have stuck with my 20 ft open bow tailered boat for now until daughters graduate from college. Meanwhile I've looked up a number of sail clubs one north of the zoo on the scioto river and one in Hoover Res also found some good sailing schools up on the North Coast between Sandusky and Cleveland. Planning to take navigation class from the power squadron and sailing lessons this summer .
BuckeyeTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 18:46   #15

Boat: Rinker 96 Captiva 190
Oh and I bought my own copy of Chapmans piloting and Seamanship. The library would not let me renew their copy after I had it for eight months straight.?
BuckeyeTom is offline   Reply With Quote