Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-02-2012, 19:56   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand
You could enroll in a family camp type sailing school. That way everyone would have a better idea about what they are working towards.
That sounds like a great idea. I will definitely have to see if there is anything like that out here. Thank you! : )

Old 05-02-2012, 19:58   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeTom
Welcome Gypsy-Soul. I've been lurking on these same threads, dreaming the same dreams. I've been a power boater for ten years and have been dreaming of trading up to a sailing vessel for the past four years . Also from central ohio I have stuck with my 20 ft open bow tailered boat for now until daughters graduate from college. Meanwhile I've looked up a number of sail clubs one north of the zoo on the scioto river and one in Hoover Res also found some good sailing schools up on the North Coast between Sandusky and Cleveland. Planning to take navigation class from the power squadron and sailing lessons this summer .
I'm glad we aren't the only ones out here dreaming! Forgive me for not googling the info yet, but how long is the navigation class? That could definitely be useful. : p

Old 05-02-2012, 19:59   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeTom
Oh and I bought my own copy of Chapmans piloting and Seamanship. The library would not let me renew their copy after I had it for eight months straight.?
I can't imagine why they wouldn't. Lol. I wonder if there's a kindle version......
Old 05-02-2012, 20:15   #19

Boat: Leopard 40
Welcome to the forum. We spent about 2 years researching, reading, going to boat shows, asking questions & taking lessons. We now own a 40 ft catamaran and love it. My wife and I are transitioning to liveaboards over the next year, but in the meantime we are getting used to the nuances of our boat and enjoying every moment we are aboard. If there are any questions the admiral and I can answer, please send a PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 15:44   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac
Welcome to the forum. We spent about 2 years researching, reading, going to boat shows, asking questions & taking lessons. We now own a 40 ft catamaran and love it. My wife and I are transitioning to liveaboards over the next year, but in the meantime we are getting used to the nuances of our boat and enjoying every moment we are aboard. If there are any questions the admiral and I can answer, please send a PM.
It is great to hear you guys have done it!
: ). I appreciate the availability for my questions. Most of the ones I have now are pretty basic as our knowledge is limited. So, google and forums have provided many of the answers and opinions of others. Once we break out of the winter season and start trying to find more opportunities outside of the web, I may just bug you. : )
Old 26-02-2012, 13:16   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Re: Hello, everyone

Aloha and welcome aboard!
I'm glad someone suggested taking sailing lessons. It really is a great place to start and if you could get the family involved it'd be a team building project as well.
There are clubs on lakes that might offer such opportunities.
Good to have you here on the forum.
kind regards,

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: