Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2006, 14:22   #1

Boat: Catalina 22
Send a message via Yahoo to cmetrav
Hello everyone

I am pretty new to this whole sailing thing.... I have recently purchased a catalina 22 to go out to the islands in and have already "tested the hull" in the surf. Any way I just wanted to say a little hello and ask the question all new sailors probably ask but is there a safe distance from shore rule of thumb so to speak?? Thanks for any answers on this as well.
Travis Clark
Southern California
cmetrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006, 14:29   #2
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Hi Travis

Welcome aboard. Plenty of ole' salts here to answer your questions. Just a few points I've learned over the years that might help. 1. Check the charts for the area you're boating in. Hazards under the water don't stick to a uniform distance from shore when hiding. 2. When you're draft exceeds the available water depth, you are most assuredly aground! 3. If you sail (boat) you will eventually go aground, be prepared!

Stick to the deep water until your knowledge of the area improves then you can get a little more adventurous. Good luck!

Rick
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006, 18:33   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmetrav
but is there a safe distance from shore rule of thumb so to speak?? Thanks for any answers on this as well.
Travis Clark
Southern California
The most important answer would be; If you can see the surf your too close to the beach. Especially for a beginer!

There was an incident just a while back in S.F. were a 22-27 foot boat got caught in the surf and did a roll over under the Golden Gate.

I'd suggest sailing in the bays for a while until you get to know the boat and it's capibilities. Small boats are easly swamped in big waters.........._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006, 18:40   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Travis,
Welcome aboard!! This is a great place to learn stuff. My first boat was a fin keeled Catalina 22 with a pop top. I didn't go interisland with it but sailed in the lee of Oahu off shore many times and learned a lot about sailboats while owning her. Good little cruiser. If you have a pop top make certain you have someway of securing it in the down position while you are going off shore. Very important!!
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006, 18:48   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Hi again Travis,
I didn't answer your question. A rule of thumb about how far off shore you should be? Charts, depth sounder and surf lines will help you determine how close or far you should be off shore. There are books on piloting that will help. Depth sounders are very handy pieces of equipment and are easy to install in your Catalina. You can install the sender without cutting a hole in your hull. Lots of articles in sailing magazines have covered the how tos of the installation.
Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote