Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2006, 19:55   #1

Boat: Transpac 49 "Pearl"
hello everyone!

Hello from Portland, Oregon. We are a family of 4 (me, my husband and our 2 girls- ages 7 and 4). We presently own a 27' sun yacht. We are planning to sell that boat in the near future along with our house and buy a larger boat to liveaboard. Once we do that we are planning to cruise around the PNW until around 2012, when we will take off for the South Pacific. We're looking forward to getting to know all of you as well as learn a lot too.

Cheers!
sailor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 21:26   #2

Welcome aboard sailor12.

You've come to the right boating forum on the web. Yes there are tons of them out there. But this one is the best one. THIS IS WHERE THE TRUTH IS?

If you have any questions that you don't have answers to. You'll more likely to find them in here. We have lots of seasoned sailors on this forum.

On my behalf of the forum. Welcome aboard.

CaptainK

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2006, 04:53   #3

Boat: ketch, 51'
Welcome Sailor 12

In the short time I have been on this forum I have found tons of good information, very friendly folks, and all ready to help and share their knowledge.
The best part so far NO attitudes, No politics!
Old 13-01-2006, 08:15   #4

Boat: '67 Cal 20, Aurora and "73 Rival 34, Southern Rival
Always nice to hear of another Portland sailor (OR, that is). I think your sun yacht is at McCuddy's on Hayden Island, right?

Another resource you might like is the Cascadia mailing list for PNW sailors. There's info about it at

http://www.sailcascadia.org/

I believe it was orginally created to bring NW Canadian and US sailors closer together, and it has an active group that exchanges information and meets up for events and dinners.

Recently, someone asked about a cruising route in Puget Sound, and the range of experienced advice that was shared was really impressive. It's a smart group.

Jim H
Jim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2006, 09:37   #5

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Cascadia

Good idea.
In my former life we did the same with with the motorcycle road racers. There were three tracks, near Portland OR, Seattle WA and Vancouver BC. We knew everyone in the motorcycle business and racers from Portland to Vancouver.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2006, 19:44   #6
Kai Nui

Sailor12, Welcome, and just think, in 20 years, your kids will be looking fondly back at one of life's greatest experiences. Without exception, every person I know that was raised on a boat, or is growing up on a boat has benefited from the experience.
Old 13-01-2006, 20:17   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Thumbs up Welcome Sailor12

Another PNWer here. I spent my teen years in the out skirts of Portland, spitting distance from the Columbia R. (Troutdale). The lower 40 was always in danger of flooding.

The S. Pac will be my home as well in the near future. The wife is from there and so shall we return. You'll like it up around the Puget Sound. There's a lot of gunkholing available......................_/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2006, 21:17   #8

Thanks for the warm welcome! I can tell we're going to have a lot of fun here!

Jim, thank you for that website! It looks great!

Kai Nui, thank you for the encouraging words about raising children aboard. We're very excited to get going on the next chapter of our lives.

Delmarrey, it's great to hear of someone else that will be going on the same "path". I am originally from Hawaii (spent 1st 30 yrs there) and am very excited to spend some time in the tropics!

Thanks again for the welcome!

P.S. I posted a question about boats in the monohull section if anyone might have some info on the Vagabonds (42 & 47) and Liberty 45- I would love some feedback.
sailor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2006, 17:32   #9

I forgot to introduce one of our family members! He is our "first born". He's black and furry and his name is Tabor. He's a 100 lb black lab and he is a big part of our family. I can't believe I forgot to mention him! Sorry Tabor!