Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2018, 17:21   #1

Hello everyone!

Hi all,

I've been lurking here for a month or so, and as I believe that forums such as this hold the true intrinsic value of this internet thing, finally got around to joining up.

My basic bio: 42, M, single/CF; I'm a Red Seal carpenter by trade, homebuilder and project manager by profession, university educated, yogi, biker, and minimalist.

The extent of my sailing background includes a 1 week charter trip around the Strait of Georgia in the 8th grade, and 2 rides on my highschool girlfriend's family Laser. In other words, I know almost jack ---- about sailing! I did spend much of my youth on lakes playing around in ski boats and the like, until I discovered motorcycles.

I'm from Calgary, AB, and have lived in the prairies, the mountains, big cities and small towns, and for the last 14 years in Fort McMurray in Northern Alberta.

Those years have taken a toll, and so in the next couple of months, I'm moving where Winter as I know it doesn't exist - Vancouver Island.

I found my way here after a recent vacation: I spent 4 weeks touring around BC on my motorcycle, and visited a friend in Campbell River BC. He lives aboard a 1982 42' Bayliner motoryacht. We spent a few days cruising around Quadra, Sonora, West Redonda and Cortes Islands, just fishing and hanging out. Then I couch surfed on his boat for a week in his home marina while he took a trip with his girlfriend.

During that week, I realized two things: I'm moving to that incredible island, and I want to live on a boat. I also want to sail a boat, around the coast of BC, and also to places I've never been (which is most of the world, sadly).

So here I am, lurking, reading, absorbing information and knowledge, and planning ahead.

My intent is to spend the next year learning, including taking sailing/marine navigation instruction courses, and also basic SCUBA diving certification, while narrowing down what kind of boat I want, and searching for it. I believe that there are very few things one person can do, that I can't also learn to do.

Thanks to all the contributors here, both seasoned and green.
LaughingWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 17:46   #2

Boat: Leopard 39
Re: Hello everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingWarrior View Post
Hi all,

I've been lurking here for a month or so, and as I believe that forums such as this hold the true intrinsic value of this internet thing, finally got around to joining up.

My basic bio: 42, M, single/CF; I'm a Red Seal carpenter by trade, homebuilder and project manager by profession, university educated, yogi, biker, and minimalist.

The extent of my sailing background includes a 1 week charter trip around the Strait of Georgia in the 8th grade, and 2 rides on my highschool girlfriend's family Laser. In other words, I know almost jack ---- about sailing! I did spend much of my youth on lakes playing around in ski boats and the like, until I discovered motorcycles.

I'm from Calgary, AB, and have lived in the prairies, the mountains, big cities and small towns, and for the last 14 years in Fort McMurray in Northern Alberta.

Those years have taken a toll, and so in the next couple of months, I'm moving where Winter as I know it doesn't exist - Vancouver Island.

I found my way here after a recent vacation: I spent 4 weeks touring around BC on my motorcycle, and visited a friend in Campbell River BC. He lives aboard a 1982 42' Bayliner motoryacht. We spent a few days cruising around Quadra, Sonora, West Redonda and Cortes Islands, just fishing and hanging out. Then I couch surfed on his boat for a week in his home marina while he took a trip with his girlfriend.

During that week, I realized two things: I'm moving to that incredible island, and I want to live on a boat. I also want to sail a boat, around the coast of BC, and also to places I've never been (which is most of the world, sadly).

So here I am, lurking, reading, absorbing information and knowledge, and planning ahead.

My intent is to spend the next year learning, including taking sailing/marine navigation instruction courses, and also basic SCUBA diving certification, while narrowing down what kind of boat I want, and searching for it. I believe that there are very few things one person can do, that I can't also learn to do.

Thanks to all the contributors here, both seasoned and green.
Hi, and welcome to CF!
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 19:35   #3

Boat: WindJammer 34

Hello and welcome I am new and learning like yourself.
NW_Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 19:38   #4

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Welcome, from a fellow Albertan. I'm just outside of Edmonton.(stony plain area) for the last 18 years I have been siding houses here, so I am right with you on the winter deal.
The island is a great place to be on a boat. We have done 2 charters there, and hopefully going back in September to help a friend set up his c&c 30.
Also a great place for scuba. I spent a summer during my teens working in a dive store in Campbell River. Did a lot of dives under the pier, also over on quadra. Absolutely beautiful, although it is cold water.
Enjoy the forum, and good luck on the move and boat shopping.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote