Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2007, 11:34   #1

Hello everyone!

Hi everyone, I've been lurking around here for the past few weeks to check out the waters before I posted and inadvertantly made a fool of myself. Anyway, I'm 19 years old and looking for the cruising life. I've seen a few people use the term "trust fund baby," and with the seemingly negative connotation that goes along with it, I am one. So, while a few of you may think I'm a spoiled little brat, I'd prefer you not, I'm still going to work my butt off to help feed that kitty before I set sail. I just consider myself lucky to have a starting point.

I've always loved the water, ever since I was a kid. This past summer I went on a sailing/SCUBA diving trip for three weeks in the BVI's and I was HOOKED. I absolutely loved living on the boat and just the overall lifestyle. I was so enthralled, I actually went back to the same camp for the last voyage of the summer. After having spent 6 weeks on a boat and loving every second of it, I'm fairly certain I've found my dream: living the cruising life.

I'm currently in my second year of college, and I'm going to be taking next semester off to go to Thailand to get my SCUBA instructor's certification. (Currently a divemaster, for those of you who dive.) After that, I'd like to find a liveaboard where I can work for a few more years to add to the kitty and let it build up on itself.

I also want to eventually charter a boat, if not for extra income, for "fun." Thus, I would like a pretty nice boat with an extra cabin or two.

Anyway, I just finally wanted to register on this forum to introduce myself as well as say thanks for all the available information.

Ryan
rrjc5488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2007, 11:52   #2

Boat: B24
Howdy – am new here myself… haven’t been “on air” in some years but used to mix my sailing and light diving a few decades back… Was a PADI divemaster for a small scuba shop in the 70s, mostly wreck diving off the Carolinas and cave diving in Florida (in the days before they has certifications for all that stuff…)

Welcome to both of us…
Old 22-10-2007, 12:44   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Ryan and Larry,
Welcome aboard!! Haven't had my dive gear on in years but sailing and diving is a good mix. Everyone on the forum is able to add something so we'll look forward to your experiences and will be willing to share ours.
Hey, Ryan, people can't help it if they are wealthy or from a wealthy family. Just keep in touch with us commoners from time to time. We have a different perspective on the value of things but that doesn't mean we will be unable to connect.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2007, 12:54   #4

Welcome. You've come to the right place.

I don't do scuba - just snorkling, but short of the real thing a sailing charter in the BVIs is one of the best and most fun ways to get an idea of what extended cruising is really like. Rest assured that once you you set off in your own boat, you will be automatically and unconditionally accepted regardless of age, experience, or boat/bank account size. There is a true community among all cruisers. Everyone is different and even among people your own age not everyone is like you. But it doesn't matter, we all share some version of a common dream.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2007, 14:05   #5

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Welcome aboard, this is the place to come for information. I would certainly not look at a "trust fund baby" in a negative way, only in an envious way. Good luck in all that you do.
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2007, 16:38   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Ryan,

If you have a good service attitude and are easy to get along with you will find plenty of oppportunity to work as a dive instructor once you get your cert. I meet lot's of younger folks doing exactly that. Not only can you do Thailand but you can consider Indonesia, Philippines and Malaysia as well. Some folks tend to migrate around depending on their visa status.

If you get anywhere near Singapore give us a shout.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote