Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 18:04   #1

Boat: Sunfish
Arrow Hello Everyone

Hi all, I've been lurking for about a week so I decided I should sign up . I'm currently in High School and I would like to live aboard sometime after I graduate. That means I've got to save up! I hope to learn a lot on here , and I certainly have some questions.

Right now I have a sunfish which needs some repairs (and a good wash!) but I hope to get it in the water in a week or two. I'm also on a swim team that swims year-round.

I'm honestly not really feeling college right now. I'm considering flight school (both helicopter & fixed wing) in place of college, or potentially joining the military. I've got all these goals and plans, now I just have to reach them.
Horse Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 18:30   #2

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Hello Everyone

So you're also thinking of being a pilot...call a few flight schools at local airports and find out how much it will cost to get your Private Pilot license. For your knowledge, Cessna and Piper aircraft companies dominate the small plane market; also known as general aviation. A few things you need to know beforehand...can you pass a FBI/Homeland Security background check?...If you are color blind, this is a medical automatic disqualification. You'll need to pass a physical, performed by a FAA designated medical examiner; some "organic diseases" are disqualifying (if you need insulin injections for diabetes, for example). Flying is much more expensive than sailing. With that said, do some research and let's know if there is anything we can guide you with. Good luck and welcome aboard CF.
Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 20:15   #3

colorblindness does not automaticly dis qualify you there are several different tests. and depending the severity of the colorblindness.

dont konw about the hoemland security check thats new since I did any flying. cost for prive 8,000 give or take. commercial, instrument, instructor 50,000 give or take. these are just real ballpark numbers to give you a basic idea. and these numbers are for fixed wing, rotorcraft will be more expensive.

fix that sunfish and get out sailing. find a summer job somewhere near the water where you can sail as much as you want.

enjoy sail fly .. your young follow dreams you will wish you had in 20 years if you dont now.
Unkle Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 20:33   #4

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

If you don't want to go to college now, then don't do it. It is too expensive to waste money on something that isn't what you want.

Now is a good time to work on your dreams. Once you decide what that dream actually is, then you will know what you need to do to make that dream come true. If it requires college, at least you will be studying the right thing with real purpose.

Good luck working on your dreams.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:50   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!

Sunfish are fun boats. Learn how to sail it properly by either taking basic sailing lessons, or by joining a local sailing club, or by studying "Start Sailing Right." If you have questions about its repair I've done a lot of them.

I joined the Navy Reserves even before the end of my senior year and as soon as I graduated I was off to Recruit Training and my first summer after high school I was in Hawaii and in the fall I was in Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong.

Good luck in whatever you choose. You have a whole new life ahead of you and make certain you get your grades up and graduate before heading off in another direction. Good grades help you get into whatever profession you might seek and especially if you want to get into a good college or university.

kind regards,
Old 09-06-2013, 17:27   #6

Boat: Sunfish

Thanks everyone. Teknav, I am able to check off all of those requirements. There is a flight school that is actually pretty close to where I live which I am looking into.

I Just got the sunfish parts, I'll probably start working on it tomorrow.
Horse Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 20:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Shoo View Post
Hi all, I've been lurking for about a week so I decided I should sign up . I'm currently in High School and I would like to live aboard sometime after I graduate. That means I've got to save up! I hope to learn a lot on here , and I certainly have some questions.

Right now I have a sunfish which needs some repairs (and a good wash!) but I hope to get it in the water in a week or two. I'm also on a swim team that swims year-round.

I'm honestly not really feeling college right now. I'm considering flight school (both helicopter & fixed wing) in place of college, or potentially joining the military. I've got all these goals and plans, now I just have to reach them.
I do no want to dampen your dreams but most good flying jobs require a bachelors degree. Flying is the second greatest feeling there is. Landing is the first!
Lanlocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:38   #8

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling
Welcome aboard! Plans and goals are great.....just understand that some things may change along the way. I would say that if you were my kid (I already have 4 daughters so this is purely hypothetical..heehee) I would point you towards a Navy recruiter. You will most likely `live aboard` and there are really good opportunities in the aviation field. Take the ASVAB (I assume it is still called this....I have been out for over 20 years) and see where you stand. Good luck to ya.....and enjoy the ride!
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote