Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2012, 19:48   #16

Boat: NA, Looking for a 36-47 ketch.
Re: Hello Everybody :)

Welcome to the machine.. er... forums. Can't really comment on Russia but I have lived on every side of Sacramento within 80 miles every time. Love the Sierra's but not the snow. Well love the snow but hate the Sierra cement.
sycpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 12:17   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycpuppy View Post
Welcome to the machine.. er... forums. Can't really comment on Russia but I have lived on every side of Sacramento within 80 miles every time. Love the Sierra's but not the snow. Well love the snow but hate the Sierra cement.
Well, have never been to USA, maybe will be, may be not, nobody knows his destiny and I find that great! So I just googled "Sierra cement" ... must say I agree with you: wet snow IS unpleasant. And I'm saying this without really being a skier. I knew it worst being in Saint-Petersburg's commercial port at -20C, onshore, thanks God And I hated it, beleive me .

Russia equals snow for you? I do understand - Alaska was also russian sometimes ago (almost a joke because I don't know the reasons why? )
If you want some assistance in discovering my country I may help (gratis =free of charge- I'm studying european languages
Andrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 12:22   #18

Boat: too many

Andrei,

A couple of days ago I responded to your introduction in Russian. I didn't know other then English or Dutch, if you communicate in another language the mods will pull the post.

So again, welcome to CF, and I've had the pleasure of working with Russian crew and can say first hand, you are a fun loving group and I have some great memories.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 13:49   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Andrei,

A couple of days ago I responded to your introduction in Russian. I didn't know other then English or Dutch, if you communicate in another language the mods will pull the post.

So again, welcome to CF, and I've had the pleasure of working with Russian crew and can say first hand, you are a fun loving group and I have some great memories.
Thank you Captain, I think that I'd appreciate dealing with you onboard.
I speak Russian, French, English, something of German... learning Spanish
Old 31-03-2012, 14:23   #20

Andrei,

No need for the "Captain", were all equal cruisers on this forum. I was digging through my posts here on CF, trying to find the one I made on my Russian comrades, but I post too much here and couldn't find it, but it goes like this

I work with all nationalities and have found a much closer kinship to my Russian colleagues than my own countrymen from our southern states. The reason being they are very open minded, and boy when work is done, they can party better than anyone. When working aboard a drill ship, it is typically 30 days on with no alcohol, followed by 30 days off. When working off shore Brazil, we would helicopter an hour to Macae, then a 3 hour bus ride to Rio. If you ever want to have a good time, find yourself on a bus full of Russians that just got off work and a 30 day dry spell. I never knew Rock and Roll was so popular among my Russian comrades, but damn, they knew all the words and could carry a tune. Upon arrival at the airport in Rio, we all board a plane for Sao Paulo. After the 20 minute flight we all split up for our destinations except for us going to the west coast of the US never have to de-plane. That flight continues on to LAX, refuels, then on to Japan. Those gentle folks from Japan quietly board and take their seats. I hadn't even noticed my comrades were passed out back in their seats (they were suppose to de-plane for their connecting flight) and the new passengers boarding, seeing their seats occupied, must of just stood for awhile until they could find vacant seats. I awoke after 10 hours of flight, to take care of business, and as I walked back to the toilet I run into my comrades, now awake and asking "how much longer to Sao Paulo?"
Old 01-04-2012, 02:15   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Andrei,

No need for the "Captain", were all equal cruisers on this forum.
We are all Captains here, that's what I meant.
By the way, I heard that captains of big ocean ships great each other as "Boss".
"Hello, Boss! How do you do, Boss! etc.". Is that true?
Old 01-04-2012, 07:30   #22

I just use first names, the crew and other deck officers refer to the captain as "the old man", but not to his face.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:01   #23

In the Med I heard Russian cargo ship captains exchanging replies calling each other "Boss". But after a few replies they would switch to the regular 'name, second name'.

Didn't hear it out on Atlantic.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote