Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 19:33   #1

Boat: Pearson 30
Talking Hello Everybody

Hello to all
Well here I am, licensed captain( Europe) and away from sailboats for the past 15 years. Man do I miss it!. After working our butts off for a long time, myself and my wife decided that enough is enough. We opened up a nice Italian restaurant about 6 years ago thinking that this would be the last " move". Hell no! A few weeks ago we decided to sell the business and to buy a sailboat in the 40 feet range and just spend the rest of out days around this beautiful planet of ours. I have a 4 years old girl and a 11 years old boy that we are planning to take with us. We are thinking of waiting a couple of years to make the move so the kids are a bit older, in the mid time we'll be sailing the great lakes here and there to get them familiar with the water and prepare them for the "trip". My wife is a teacher so she can home school the kids and give them an education, then when it's time for college they can choose where to go, until then happy sailing I say.
To pay for living we can just work anywhere and do anything, we have plenty experience in life and it won't be a problem. When we have enough money for the next leg of our adventure we'll take off and go somewhere else.
We are planning to get going in 2012/13, we'll be sailing from Boston to somewhere in Europe, it doesn't matter where...and from there to somewhere else......and just keep going.

Well, this is the plan......
cla6665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 20:09   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Sounds like a reasonable plan to me. We started our circumnavigation when our kids were in high school, and they loved it. I am sure they would have enjoyed it at a younger age as well.

As far as I am concerned, any age is a good age to take the kids on a world cruise. I started my trip when I was 47 years old, and I wish that I had gone sooner.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 20:22   #3

Welcome I am a newbie myself. You might look into sailing "The Great Loop". 5000 miles to 7000 miles depending on the route you take. This will give you a sense of living on the water without really being that far from land. Until yesterday I was not aware that you could sail from the Great lakes to the gulf without going over some land. I think I may just take my 26 foot Clipper marine a swing keel and see just how hard it may be to navigate the rivers. Then I will try it in the Triton.

Dan
Skipper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 02:40   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Welcome to CF and it is great that both you and your family are focusing on the quality of life.

My own thoughts on that would be to head away from Europe via Panama and do the milk run to remote and also cheaper destinations, so that your family can experience radically different cultures that what they are used to.

But whatever inspires is the main thing… Best of luck and I hope we can help
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 19:20   #5

Thank you so much everybody. We have started planning things already, and I am " brushing up" by reading a number of "interesting books".
I got my captain license in Italy 10 years ago and I thought I forgot everything. I was very surprised when I picked up the USCG exam book and found out that I still remember a whole bunch of stuff. I guess I am not that old yet.....
Now I need to find somebody in the NE that would take me out on a boat here and there, just to get the feeling back.
I did sail up and down the Adriatic and Mediterranean seas many years ago, night sailing and all that good stuff but before I take my family for the big one I need to spend some time in the water with my own boat.

Well, for now I'll keep planning....
Old 16-07-2010, 12:56   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here on the forum. Hope you can make your plans happen.
regards,
Old 16-07-2010, 17:00   #7

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
Welcome to the Forum...Sounds like a good plan to me too. Now how about sharing the recipe for the best boli and carbonara sauce ever made.

Regards

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 15:09   #8

Anglooff not a problem, I make the meanest carbonara and meat sauce ever, recipes that have been in my family for 50 years at least. Send me a PM with email and I'll forward you the recipe. I took care of the " food" thing now back to boats : We have actually decided to start cruising next year in the spring probably, we are planning to take off from FL and hit Bahamas, Puerto Rico, Caribbeans and Jamaica to start off our adventure. I figure I will need a bit of " safer" sailing to get to know the boat before I decide to cross the pond with the family. I have a good amount of experience in Europe ( Adriatic and Mediterranean) but never sailed the Ocean before and I don't want to start off by crossing the pond. We are thinking a few months in the Caribbeans and around there to familiarize the kids with cruising and then we'll be ready to take a bigger step. I have learned from old time sailors to never rush it, push it or guess it.
Old 18-07-2010, 00:48   #9
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hey - that's when we're planning to set off too! But the other way, so maybe we'll bump into each other in the middle, and you can cook us that Carbonara. Or if you PM it to me now, we'll practise, and make it for you!!!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 07:28   #10

Sounds good, I'll PM you the recipe and you can start practicing......I am just afraid that the student is going to become better that the teacher.....