Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2014, 17:49   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Hello! Beginner Sailor Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coral_bound View Post
Thank you all! My heart feels full planning this...thats enough for me to keep my head up for a while longer in this corporate lifestyle I lead. I appreciate any thoughts/advice so keep it coming!
My only discrepancy with the planning advice... when I go...im going to want to be away for an undetermined amount of time. Therefore, seems logical to save as much as possible...in my mind 10k and a self generating company would be comfortable. Also...I want to live the dream of making it...well, everywhere awesome. Is a 2000$ boat really going to keep me afloat?
It seems more logical to invest maybe 10K to avoid any burden down the road.
Dont get me wrong...its calling me. I could have 5grand within a couple months and head to fla. right then...

Think ill appreciate it more having saved through the new england winter here, also Id like to sail new england a while anyways. By spring, id have the 10k for a boat, 10k pocket change, and 6 months of research and classes/experience under my belt.

Again I appreciate all the responses; so looking forward to it all.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Saving over winter is a good plan. You don't need a bomb of money but enough to get started until you get your feet under you.

Getting a boat in NE is not a bad idea and then sailing down the coast to FL. Hang in FL and the keys fro a while before heading south.

You don't need a 10k boat. In the meantime read some of Fatty Goodlanders books. Of course the 60's and 70's were different but the ideas are the same.

Also recommend "Cape Horn to Starboard" as inspirational reading.

Do not get hung up on size of boat. It is a place to sleep and transport to your next adventure. You will spend the first couple of years tied to shore replenishing kitty and coastal cruising. You may keep your boat or trade up when/if you decide to cross oceans.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 19:19   #17

Nice, thank you ex-calif!

coral_bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 08:50   #18
h20

you may find sailing is innate and easy. one mistake we made was not buying a boat with solar panels and good batteries. Deck was good, rigging was ok. Motor was great. Mast was keel stepped. Was the best money we spent on a good surveyor. Probably repeating what others have already said. Parts? are parts available for and older boat? We had some issues with that. Make sure the holding tank is connected and being used and does not smell. (some will not use for years for clean smell and when you use it watch out. DC refrigerator? How many amps? Propane tanks old?
Cyliniod for propane?
h20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 11:54   #19

All worthy points, appreciated h20

Old 19-08-2014, 12:32   #20

Boat: Bristol 35

Go, go now!!! small boat, small $$, Big dream- that's all that's needed. Lots of boats <30' for cheap that will work. Yes, get Fatty's book and few others- Fancy = upkeep! Do you want to polish teak or surf the waves? As someone that's 50 and still working toward the dream- trust me- get the hell out of Dodge now while you still can!!! I've tried talking my girls into hitting the sea- why won't they listen?????
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 12:51   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker6977 View Post
Go, go now!!! small boat, small $$, Big dream- that's all that's needed. Lots of boats <30' for cheap that will work. Yes, get Fatty's book and few others- Fancy = upkeep! Do you want to polish teak or surf the waves? As someone that's 50 and still working toward the dream- trust me- get the hell out of Dodge now while you still can!!! I've tried talking my girls into hitting the sea- why won't they listen?????
In one of the "dramatic" moments in Fatty's book (let's say Guru (his dad) is dying) and he says, "Son promise me one thing. That in your whole entire life you will never buy a wooden boat."

God bless those that keep and maintain teak and wood. You are saints.

But for ease of maintenance and easier living and sailing go plastic.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 13:08   #22

Haha...but the teak is so purty!

Old 19-08-2014, 13:23   #23

Biker...dont lose sight! ;-) if were not living for our "dream" what are we living for at all?

Old 19-08-2014, 13:24   #24

Boat: Bristol 35

While teak is "purty" it is also high maintenance. Over my many, many, many, many years I've come to realize that function out weighs purty everytime unless you are someone that worries about what others thing of you. If you truly want to escape and live free the size and how fancy shmancy your boat is will be of little importance as long as it's big enough to keep you safe and get you where the wind blows. Don't get hung up on finishes, size etc. There are lots of couples in boats under 30' and lots of single handers in even smaller boats. Will you be inside admiring your teak or outside skin diving, sailing or relaxing and watching a sunset? The bigger the boat the more upkeep- the more complex the more upkeep. Keep it small and simple and you will have the adventure of a life time and may never come back to cubicle life
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 14:03   #25

Yep I do plan to keep it simple...although part of my dream is to live it on a "nice" boat. Looking around there seems to be a lot of reasonable options and im excited to save up and make it happen.
And youre damn right I wont return to the cubicle life ;-)

Old 19-08-2014, 14:32   #26

Well, you've read enough of the go now advice, so I'll spare you my experience with doing just that, albeit I chucked my corporate job and went skiing and kayaking. Bottom Line: I would absolutley do it again!

I will throw a few new wrinkles out there. Please excuse my lack of tact; my advice is given with the nicest intention:

1) Your plan is, well...crap. Have you worked out the numbers of any of the steps you plan on? I don't think any of them will get you very far starting from -$3000. At best it will take a long time. Forget about it for now.

2) Guys in their 20s should not be solo sailing. They should be partying with friends and getting laid by as many young women (men?) as possible.

2) For a 23-year old with no money, the best tactic, based on my experience and the experiences of many friends and acquaintances, is to immerse yourself in the lifestyle and find your way once you are there. What I'm talking about specifically is: don't bother buying a boat; you have no money and you've never even been sailing for cripe's sake! Get a job at a marina or on a cruise boat or a dive boat or at an island resort - just get yourself around the people who are doing what you want to do. There will be lots of young people to have fun with. Opportunities will present themselves to you if you are polite, considerate, and keep your eyes open. And you will be free to take advantage of them instead being stuck to your your crappy boat that you can't take anywhere because you can't afford to keep it in seaworthy condition.

3) If you find that the lifestyle is not for you, you'll still have lots of time to return to the corporate life, become a landlord, and set up profitable charities, then buy a nice boat, retire and go cruising.
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 17:48   #27

Jwing..appreciate you taking time to read about my situation and give me your perspective.
1. Yes I have worked out the numbers and by spring id have 20k after paying that debt. Also option to sell my charger worth probably 15k.
2. Dont want to give you all the impression im a loner or anything...partying, meeting new friends along the coast, and getting laid by *women* of course was part of the plan.

I would gladly work at a Marina however the closest one is at least an hour away. Could do the cruise boat thing that may be cool...island resort....probably sweet experience. Anything where I wouldnt have a rent cost over my head. I was a sushi chef for some time with 8 years catering experience so I think I could use that to my advantage. Need a cook on your vessel? Will work for experience ;-)
About 3. Why not accomplish those things that would set me up for a work free life now?
Realistically within 6 months the company Im working on will generate 500-1000 monthly.
Becoming a landlord wont be for me right now cause I know it takes a while for credit to be rebuilt...thatd be a long term idea...
Bottom line, regardless of what step I first take... my goal remains the same. To have a nice boat of my own I can throw my surfboards, and guitar on...and cruise.
Youre right though, and I am leaning towards making sure Ill be stable with money to fall back on rather than a 2000$ boat with enough to get me to fla.

Do you have any references of resorts/charter companies I could look into? Thats definitely an option...maybe stack up, and get a plane ticket somewhere tropical and bless some people with my cheffing abilities for a while (or any position really), hang out around the docks in my downtime...

Old 20-08-2014, 06:45   #28

If your numbers are realistic, then you should delay your departure.

If you can develop, in six months, a $500-1000 per month income generating business that doesn't require your management, then you should absolutley spend the next six months doing that. If you could double your income by working it for a year, you should absolutley do that. Quadruple in two years? Absolutely! You'd then be 26 with an income of at least $2000 per month. You'd be a fool not to do that.

Meanwhile, you say you can put $23,000 in the bank in 6 or seven months. In two years, you'd have about $80K. In that case, you'd want to put the $80K and your $24K income into a solid investment plan and by the time you are 50, you'll be a millionaire. After you have that set up, you'll still be young enough to just go and live the life. You'll figure out how to be on a boat or even buy your own if you immerse yourself.

On the other hand, if you spend $20K for a boat in the spring and have a $500-1000/month income, you'll be living a poor young person life (nothing wrong with that; I endorse it heartily), but you'll get tired of it and have nothing but a crappy boat at age 30.

Now, if your numbers are not realistic, then you should just go ahead and live the life. When I was a 26 year-old professional, I told a friend that when I saved enough money I would go to Colorado and learn to ski. She asked me, "How much is enough?" I realized then that I really didn't need any money to do that and within a month I quit my job and moved to Colorado. Best decision I ever made.
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 07:55   #29

Nice. Yes they are realistic being that im dropping rent and living free for a while thanks to parents. Wont want to be there for 2 years...however im grateful to have the option, this way I can build some capital, start investing, work on the company, and kind of fast track my way towards having enough for a nice boat...at which point id feel comfortable to move away and try for a job around boats. Thinking Portland maine...ive got a friend there id cut rent with and I could try for a job at the marina.
Yes though, the monotony of the cubicle life is enough to drive someone to just "buy a boat and go"... need that sense of adventure.
Thinking of either taking a week in the fall to backpack the Appalachian. ..or go ride Killington in the winter.
Decisions decisions.

Old 13-09-2014, 12:02   #30

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Please, please, please don't move in with your parents. That is a huge step backward and an unneeded burden on them. If you can't afford or can't figure out how to afford a roof over your head independent of your parents then you'll not be able to afford a boat and will not be able to learn to be independent on a sailing vessel.

Good luck in carrying out whatever your plan will morph into but don't include being dependent on others as part of your plan. That's just plain wrong on so many levels.

Good luck in whatever direction you choose to go.

kindest regards,

Tags
sail