Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2013, 14:36   #1

Hello all, new to the forum

My name is Steve B. and I currently live and work up in Alaska. Very near retirement. Picking up extended cruising planning where I left off some years ago. I have 5 years experience day sailing a 21ft Santana centerboard sloop in sheltered inland waters. Had the spreaders in the water several times but no water in the cockpit. While it was a while back, I do remember the difference between a sheet and halyard.

Been lurking on this forum, and in a short time I have a better understanding how to think through boat designs, sailing rigs and cockpit locations. Look forward to question-specific opinions as I drill down through the details of what I want in a offshore capable monohull.

At this time, just reading all I can get my hands on to learn about FRP boat construction and the general history of builders and designers. And of course todays equipment.

While it's too early to have ruled anything out, I am honing in on a 40' sloop or cutter rig (ketch needs more thought and wheel time) , FRP, aft cockpit monohull that can be practically singlehanded by a fifty something on extended passages. Like this but maybe a Texas built one outside the blister years.

I like working boats not working on them mid-crossing. Simple systems, nothing fancy. Reliability, strength and redundancy are high priority.

Budget wise, I would like to do <10 years of sailing for less than 100K in depreciation. What I mean if there is anything left of me or the boat, to sell and come out with no more than a 100K loss. Like buy a fairly rigged boat for 100K and add 40K, sail for a few years and sell for 40K. Or buy a 40K boat and upgrade 100K and sell later for 40K. Or buy a ready to go for 140K and sell later for 40K. Something like that.

Anyway, glad to be here and look forward to enlightenment.

Thanks for reading.
sb60481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 04:22   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Hello all, new to the forum

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Steve.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 12:10   #3

Hello Gord, thanks for the welcome.
sb60481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 16:22   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. Lots of information here on the forum.
The Valiant is a pretty nice boat and Bob Perry is a sometimes contributor here on the forum. I'd opt for something smaller but that's just me.
kind regards,