Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2007, 12:14   #1

Boat: Catalina 400
Hello All

Hello All,

Been poking around your board a bit and finally decided to join. Seems to be nicely filled with knowledgeable sailors. I am new to this board but not sailing, cruising, or forums. I have seen many familiar names here that frequent Sailnet... where I am very active.

I thought I might try and put in a few opinions and posts here and there. Many will find me the dissenting opinion on many topics... but they are based on real life, not books!!! I sail, live aboard (or will soon live aboard again), and cruise with kiddos, so my perspective is a bit different from many. Most of my experience is coastal with many offshore jaunts. Many have asked me how many miles I have, and I honestly could not tell you. More than a thousand, less than a 100 thousand I guess. I have weathered some nasty storms (including Gabrielle) and seen some beautiful sunsets from my cockpit. I have two boys (3&6), two worthless dogs, and an awesome wife that mean the world to me. I am pretty young (35) but have been sailing for well over a decade (longer if you count sail dinks, which I love, incidentally). I have posted articles in Latt & Att (with about 5 more coming out) and am currently the Tehnical Editor for Mainsheet C400's. Current location is Cedar Mills Marina (where they build the Valiants) while I finsh outfitting to go back cruising, then I will drop in the pond and sail back across to Texas.

So, that is a bit about me. I guess you will learn the rest as time goes by. Look forward to speaking with each of you. If anyone has any tech issues on Catalinas, I can help and would be happy to. Take care all.

- CD
Old 28-02-2007, 13:23   #2

Boat: com-pac19 pirates revenge
Welcome crusing dad,

I reconize you from sail net. Have read many of your posts, are always interesting. Looking forward to reading you here also.
Jimmy Buffett
pirates revenge3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 13:37   #3

Thank you pirate!!

- CD
Old 01-03-2007, 01:30   #4
Armchair Bucketeer

Welcome!

One thing I do enjoy about this site are the numbers of folk who know a lot, which IMO makes a great mix with those who are just starting out / dreaming......and with the few donuts like me somewhere in between
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 00:38   #5

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welome Matey,
Good to see new site memebers - I'm like David above - but possibly in the bagel bracket.
Enjoy
JOHN
Old 02-03-2007, 06:19   #6

Boat: Ontario 32 - Aria
Just never know where you'll turn up CD! Welcome aboard. And btw, where you gonna splash that thing after you truck it? Lake Charles or down here on the Bay?

Within a dream, we may find a fantasy,
But never within a fantasy, will we live a dream.
PBzeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:37   #7

Hey PB... What, you did not like my idea about sailing it down the Trinity? Ye of little faith!
Old 02-03-2007, 07:19   #8

Boat: Ontario 32 - Aria
It's a Catalina, not a hovercraft <G>!

Within a dream, we may find a fantasy,
But never within a fantasy, will we live a dream.
PBzeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:36   #9

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 - "Raven"
Welcome from a fellow "cruising dad."

My boys are 11 and 13 and have never known life without a boat. Often they ask me, "Dad, how many kids do you think get to do this?"
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:45   #10

How many kids do get to do this?? Not many, I am afraid. Not enough. We occasioanlly run into them. Some of our best friends in the world we met were liveaboards with kids. Takes a whole different mind set... but that is the beginning of a long thread and conversation - in which I often am the dissenting opinion on a great many things.

So you are doint it on a Pacific Seacraft?? Good for you. I love the boats, and Valiants. Solid boat. We love Valiants (as you will learn from my posts), but it was too tight for us (though I still look!!). My kids started at 5 days old. They love the boat more than land, for sure. It is such a great life for kids, with some exceptions. Still, it is soooo bloody expesive. Boats are just flat high. We have been blessed financially, and I still shake my head in disbelief. I speak with sooo many people that want to take their kids cruising, and cannot over $$.

Who all frequents this site? Rousmaniere? Do you ever run into the Neales? I saw Perry on Anarchy, but I have not joined there. May be a little to fast paced for me.

Anyways, hope I can contribute some here. I am going to list this site in Mainsheet, so hopefully will get you some more members.

- CD
Old 02-03-2007, 09:00   #11
DWJ

Boat: 2007 Hunter 49
Hey CD I read your artical in Lats and Atts. Very funny. I'm looking forward to more of them.

Dave
DWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:06   #12

Thank you Dave. I would imagine (as I told Sue, the Editor) that after a few more of those are published, what little credibility I have left in the sailing community will dissapear alltogether!!! HAHA!!

Take care. See ya around.

- CD
Old 02-03-2007, 10:36   #13

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha CD,
Welcome aboard!! I love dissenting opinions as long as they agree with mine. Really, if they are based on experience it is good to bring them out, although, sometimes one experience isn't the same as a lifetime of experiences. Good to have you here. My fin keel Cat 22 was a pleasure to own. I beefed up the rigging, added dual backstays and a traveler across the cockpit. Added an external strap forestay chainplate. Put a drawer under the saloon table and glassed in a some cleats for a battery box. I also painted the spars glossy white and did a bottom job. Great little boat for experience.
I've known several kids who have grown up on boats and they are wonderful adults. My good friend was "born in a v-berth." Well, maybe that could be an exaggeration although I've never known a sailor to outright expand a story.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:59   #14

John,

Sounds like a great boat. Post pictures on Mainsheet! If you need contacts, let me know.

Thanks for the welcome.

- CD
Old 02-03-2007, 11:20   #15

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 - "Raven"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad
It is such a great life for kids, with some exceptions. Still, it is soooo bloody expesive. Boats are just flat high. We have been blessed financially, and I still shake my head in disbelief. I speak with sooo many people that want to take their kids cruising, and cannot over $$.
For me, living aboard was the poor man's option. Compared with life ashore, with all its material trappings, life afloat is cheaper and simpler. My PSC34 cost a fraction of a home on land. I pay no property taxes. No big utility bills either. Sure there are upkeep costs, but I'm still getting by on a fraction of what it cost on land.

I should also note that I'm a single dad. My ex seemed to share similar values when we were young and dreamy. Over time, though, we saw things differently. When she left for what she described as her "personal journey" a few years back, she told me, "I want to be rich, really rich!" She now lives in a 6000 sq ft home with the president of the company she went to work for, and I enjoy my life aboard a 34' sloop. Our children experience quite a contrast. Time with dad is spent doin' it cheaply. Time with mom costs a lot. (At the moment, they're sailing with her aboard a chartered 65' tri out of St Thomas to the tune of $20,000 per week.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad
Who all frequents this site? Rousmaniere? Do you ever run into the Neales?
Seen Rousmaniere post here but not the Neales.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote