Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 12:37   #1

Hello All !

I do not presently own a boat, but is looking into it. I am actually working on a plan to become a live aboard. My wife thinks i am a bit crazy, but she's ready to try when the time comes. I am thinking in the next 2 years.

We have 2 kids and one coming next december. My in-laws think i am nuts, but that's ok. I am use to it! I grew on the atlantic north west coast of France, and i did sail with my father quite a bit, so i am familiar with boat and Ocean.

Still i am preparing myself slowly by taking courses to refresh all my very rusty skills. Since i want to get a serious boat between 50ft to 60ft and go sail away from our "killing me slowly" suburbia life! I am planning to sell the house and use a portion to purchase the boat and the other to invest ( I know i will get old someday and we'll have to get back to land! ) I have the chance to be freelancer and to be able to work from anywhere in the world, as long as i have my laptop and an internet connection, so is my wife, so i think that this part is covert from the point of view of revenue generation. But enough blahblah...

The reason i subscribe to this forum more than another one is that i manage to get some insight on Turkish Gulet ( which i was looking at) and a lot of great information and first hand witness of gulets... and to resume the answer was "Looks good from far, but far from looking good!" I am glad that i got this info and will not look at these boat despite the good looks and price!

So i am continuing reading the forum full of great info, and learn from you all. I would love to know more about people that are live-aboard families and stories about the big jump.(how they chose the boat, how they purchased it, what do you need? what to look for? So many questions!! )
I can guess that it is not magical every day!

I am very happy to have found this forum!

Hello to all.

Cheers.

Ulrich
canadianBreizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 13:17   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Re: Hello all !

Welcome to CF. You will find info from people all over the world.

Good luck with the in-laws .

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 13:23   #3

Merci pour ta note Alain!

Un breton de lorient! Je suis de Brest mais je suis au Canada depuis 15ans. Et mes souches breton et l'appel de la mer deviens de plus en plus fort!

Pour ce qui des beaux parents...Merci pour le "good luck"!

Kenavo
Old 06-07-2011, 13:32   #4

Attention: les règles de ce forum sont de s'exprimer en anglais. This forum rules are to write in English. Moderators are watching .

I am from Brest too . I am now in Lorient after some time in Nantes and Paris.

Alain
Old 06-07-2011, 13:37   #5

Sorry moderators! Won't happen again! English it is! I read the rules but i must i forgot this one!! Ooops!

Thanks Alain for the warning!

Cheers!

Ulrich
Old 06-07-2011, 16:35   #6

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 16:37   #7
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Aw... I forgive ya ; -)

Welcome aboard!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 15:27   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Hello All !

Aloha (a Hawaiian word) and welcome aboard!
Its good you can share your dream. Just be cautious about how you express it because there are many much smaller boats that are serious as well and would do just as good.
kind regards,
Old 18-07-2011, 18:23   #9

Hello SkiprJohn,

Thank you very for the insight, and thank you very much for the links. I totally agree with you. I did not mean serious in this way! Sometime i write English the way i speak French!
Actually after more research, i am narrowing down to smaller size.

I apologize if it sounded condescending, i sincerely did not mean this way.
Old 18-07-2011, 18:42   #10

I do not presently own a boat, but is looking into it. I am actually working on a plan to become a live aboard. My wife thinks i am a bit crazy, but she's ready to try when the time comes. I am thinking in the next 2 years.

We have 2 kids and one coming next december. My in-laws think i am nuts, but that's ok. I am use to it! I grew on the atlantic north west coast of France, and i did sail with my father quite a bit, so i am familiar with boat and Ocean.

Still i am preparing myself slowly by taking courses to refresh all my very rusty skills. Since i want to get a boat between 50ft to 60ft and go sail away from our "killing me slowly" suburbia life! I am planning to sell the house and use a portion to purchase the boat and the other to invest ( I know i will get old someday and we'll have to get back to land! ) I have the chance to be freelancer and to be able to work from anywhere in the world, as long as i have my laptop and an internet connection, so is my wife, so i think that this part is covert from the point of view of revenue generation. But enough blahblah...

The reason i subscribe to this forum more than another one is that i manage to get some insight on Turkish Gulet ( which i was looking at) and a lot of great information and first hand witness of gulets... and to resume the answer was "Looks good from far, but far from looking good!" I am glad that i got this info and will not look at these boat despite the good looks and price!

So i am continuing reading the forum full of great info, and learn from you all. I would love to know more about people that are live-aboard families and stories about the big jump.(how they chose the boat, how they purchased it, what do you need? what to look for? So many questions!! )
I can guess that it is not magical every day!

I am very happy to have found this forum!

Hello to all.

Cheers.

Ulrich
Old 19-07-2011, 11:46   #11

Hello Ulrich
I think that a large wooden boat is expensive (in money and manpower) to maintain.

In addition to that, 60ft of heavy displacement boat is a lot for 2 people to sail. How heavy is a gaff mainsail on such a boat? Do you think that you can hoist it without an electric winch?

Alain
Old 19-07-2011, 12:42   #12

Hello Alain,

I will be staying far away from wooden boat for sure, and stay with fiberglass. I am not sure if i'll go to 60ft, but probably 51 to 54.
I saw these types of boats that really peak my interest:
Beneteau-Idylle-
/Formosa-51-Ketch i Love Ketchs a lot, but i do realise they are probably handfulls when short handed.

The craziest was this one but a low price might mean a lots of work on it.
William-Tech-marine-Crusing-Ketc

As far as the live aboard condition, we'll be 6 on board 3 adults and 3 kids, which explain why i looking for something spacious. A good friend of mine wants to be par of the adventure for 1 or 2 years, when we are ready to jump.

As far as Hoisting mainsail, i think i have still some streight ( i am a big breton guy, 1.80m and 100 kgs! :P ) I will need to train no doubt, and in windy condition not easy for sure, but it will be the price to pay.

What do you think about these boats? Would you have a better recommendation for me?
Old 19-07-2011, 14:39   #13

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Aucun problème...Bonne chance
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 12:37   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianBreizh View Post
The craziest was this one but a low price might mean a lots of work on it.
William-Tech-marine-Crusing-Ketc
This one has a balsa-cored hull. After more than 30 years, is the core still dry?

Quote:
As far as Hoisting mainsail, i think i have still some streight ( i am a big breton guy, 1.80m and 100 kgs! :P ) I will need to train no doubt, and in windy condition not easy for sure, but it will be the price to pay.
My remark about the mainsail weight referred to gaff-rigged boats. But I understand that you prefer Bermudian/Marconi.

Quote:
What do you think about these boats? Would you have a better recommendation for me?
I can't afford large boats for the moment, so I don't even try to have an opinion about them.

Alain
Old 21-07-2011, 13:16   #15

OH yes i will stay away from gaff-rigged one, that is a different game, at least for mew for sure.

That is an excellent point about the balsa-hull vs age of the ship, that is probably the reason of a low price.