Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2014, 10:53   #1

Hello All

Hi,
I am a new member and would like to introduce myself. I started sailing in dinghies at the age of 11 (I'm now 58!) and moved onto sailing cruisers as a sort of natural progression as I got older.

Originally from the UK I now wander about on my current boat, a Jaguar 25, earning money to pay my way by doing odd jobs. Usually sailing orientated, but when needs be...

At first I thought that a 26 foot yacht was too small to go far, but hey, you could sail around the world in a bath tub if you are brave (or crazy?) enough.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:59   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Hello All

Welcome to the forum. I agree wholeheartedly about boats. I have often said that you could throw a bottle 20 miles outside of San Francisco and it would eventually find a beach in Mexico somewhere. Being out cruising this year, I have seen everything just short of Papier mache` out there. I get a chuckle with all the hoopla of how big should my new Benehuntalina be.
I admire your approach to sailing. You have a lot to teach people here.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:24   #3

Thanks for the welcome Celestialsailor - and thanks for the kind words too!

I suppose sailing is relative. My home base is Cardiff on the Bristol Channel - and on some small scale charts where the Bristol Channel is just a small area I've seen it marked as 'unsailable'.

This obviously isn't true, but you have to be very, very careful. The Bristol Channel has either the second or third highest tidal range in the world (depending on where you look) at around 15m (49ft) and it progressively narrows as you travel due East until it eventually becomes the River Severn. With that volume of water trying to squeeze into a narrowing channel Spring Tides result in a wave running up the River Severn which has reached 2.8m (9.2ft) and people actually surf on. Visitors come from around the world just to see it.

The tidal current in the Channel can reach 10kts (my hull speed is 6.2kts!) so careful voyage timing and planning is required to avoid sailing or motoring backwards. Added to that there are moving sand and mud banks everywhere, so don't be surprised if you run aground on mid to low tide where the charts show open water!

After that, sailing just about anywhere else is a doddle!
Old 11-03-2014, 02:48   #4

Boat: Catalina 380

Hello and welcome OceanQuest. I did not start sailing (sailboats) until my mid 40's so you'll find all types. I've now been to the BVI and back and CF can be a wealth of both info and entertainment.
Patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 06:53   #5
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patman View Post
Hello and welcome OceanQuest. I did not start sailing (sailboats) until my mid 40's so you'll find all types. I've now been to the BVI and back and CF can be a wealth of both info and entertainment.
Ditto and welcome aboard, OceanQuest.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:46   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanQuest View Post
Thanks for the welcome Celestialsailor - and thanks for the kind words too!

I suppose sailing is relative. My home base is Cardiff on the Bristol Channel - and on some small scale charts where the Bristol Channel is just a small area I've seen it marked as 'unsailable'.

This obviously isn't true, but you have to be very, very careful. The Bristol Channel has either the second or third highest tidal range in the world (depending on where you look) at around 15m (49ft) and it progressively narrows as you travel due East until it eventually becomes the River Severn. With that volume of water trying to squeeze into a narrowing channel Spring Tides result in a wave running up the River Severn which has reached 2.8m (9.2ft) and people actually surf on. Visitors come from around the world just to see it.

The tidal current in the Channel can reach 10kts (my hull speed is 6.2kts!) so careful voyage timing and planning is required to avoid sailing or motoring backwards. Added to that there are moving sand and mud banks everywhere, so don't be surprised if you run aground on mid to low tide where the charts show open water!

After that, sailing just about anywhere else is a doddle!
Aloha and welcome aboard!
That type of sailing is definitely a challange. It sounds like timing is everything. Tides here in the islands are about 3 feet.
kind regards,