Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2010, 10:47   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 53; Grace
Hello . . . Again

I jumped on for the first time awhile back looking for support and approval from this community about leaving the children....rather young adults....and "cruising" away. So many replied and every single one said the same...DO IT.
So, the kids are gone along with 80% of my material life. The sad thing is I couldn't really state what that 80% is now! It made me sick to see the wasted money....this stage could have a nice nest egg to start out with, but o well.

We purchased our boat. 1974 53 Gulfstar. After a trip to florida in search of our new home, we found her in our back yard. The previous owners sailed her as far as Trinidad, where they had the interior redone. Her third stateroom is converted to an office, so Tom is ready to move aboard. Says this office is nicer than the one he was paying rent on!! We had bow thrusters and a swim platform put on. The platform is for me as I can not see myself scaling the side with groceries and other provisions. The summer weekends have been spent getting to know the boat and learning more sailing. We've run aground twice, put a hole in the dinghy, used Boat US for a jump because the key was not turned off and the batteries were drained. The head was clogged and we had a poop gyser on deck and that's all we will say about that smelly mess that needed ALL the hoses replaced...LOL. Every weekend we go out it gets harder to come back to land. We had her sailing 12k on Labor Day weekend.

The house has not sold, but we can't wait anymore so we are aiming for November 1 as a departure date.....sooner would be nice! I am taking a womanship sailing course in 2 weeks. We have our list for things to shop for at the Annapolis Boat Show.....MOB is at the top. Hoping to be in the Keys for Christmas. Then up to Ft Myers area for employment for me for awhile until the house sells.

I have been reading this forum all summer and you guys are a virtual wealth of knowledge and support. Thanks all of you for your encouraging words to put this dream into reality mode. So many obstacles have come up, but we are determined to accomplish this. I feel privileged to have this adventure. We'll be looking for your wisdom and experience.
justdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 12:11   #2

Boat: 22' Avalon Pontoon - The WINE BARge
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdoit View Post
So, the kids are gone...
How'd you do that exactly?

Seriously, congratulations! Looking forward to hear more about your adventure.

K
RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 12:53   #3

Boat: boatless
Hey Justdoit,

Congratulations! And keep us posted on your adventures. Especially the foibles and financials. That will be a great vicarious learning lesson for me especially and lots of others.

80%? That's not so bad at all. I think it might actually be below average.... especially when you're trying to fit it on a boat.

Thirteen years ago we bought our house. We also bought some weather stripping for the front door. I forget what it cost. I do know that we put it on our HELOC. Since it was rolled into everything else we put into our HELOC way back when that we seemed to think we needed at the time. We threw the UNOPENED package in the garbage two weeks ago. Since we were plagued by that HELOC for five years, I bet it cost a mint.... we never even used it.

I don't want to look around and count up the dollars. I'd be retired by now if I saved them. But thanks for that reminder. Though I don't think that was your intention.

You have a fabulous time!

We'll be looking for your wisdom and experience.
NotJustDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 19:22   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:

<snip>
Her third stateroom is converted to an office, so Tom is ready to move aboard. Says this office is nicer than the one he was paying rent on!!

<snip>

Every weekend we go out it gets harder to come back to land. We had her sailing 12k on Labor Day weekend.

<snip>
Hoping to be in the Keys for Christmas. Then up to Ft Myers area for employment for me for awhile until the house sells.

<snip>

I feel privileged to have this adventure. We'll be looking for your wisdom and experience.
What a great update. It sounds like you guys are having a great time.

Keep us posted!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 12:19   #5
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Yes, thanks for the update and congratulations! Turns out 'justdoit' was a rather prophetic name, with or without the encouragment.

Cheers!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:48   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and congratulations!
Getting away from the kids is good for you and them.
kind regards,
Old 07-10-2010, 12:58   #7
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
nice job .. enjoy the keys and ft. myers on your new boat.. what a great idea sorry about the head and batteries.
Old 07-10-2010, 13:00   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
... So, the kids are gone ...
Oh, Oh.

Someone once explained how they'd had a long, if not necessarily happy, marriage:
Have kids.
They stayed together so long, because of the kids.

Neither of them wanted custody!

Good luck, anyway!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 13:11   #9

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I agree great post!...Keep um comming.....some of us haven't offed the rug rats yet.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote