Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2007, 22:45   #1

Boat: Hunter, Legend, 35 - Kiss-N-Run
Hello

Okay, so my life long dream has been to buy a yatch and margarita machine. Well, the first part of that will soon be done. I have the money to buy the machine, but I'm thinking the power available on a sailboat will not accommodate the margarita machine.

Some of my friends think I'm crazy, but most are supportive. Basically, I have no sailing experience on a real sailboat. I've had a 16' catamaran for a few years now. I've got a good land life, but there has always been something missing. Sailing is something that is too hard to explain even in a forum where most would understand it. Its just something that I truly love. I've had plenty of travels around the world on planes, but its just not the same as my dream of sailing around the world and seeing more. I took an early retirement package almost a year ago, but just didn't have the balls to cut my land ties. In the past year, I've looked at all kinds of other ways to spend the rest of my life, but none seemed to be a fit and I've ended up just sitting here pissing away money. About three weeks ago, I said its time and started really looking for a boat. I foud what I believed to be a great deal on a little bigger boat than I plannned. Its an 87, 35' Hunter Legend limited edition.

I have tons to learn about the cruising life. I have tons to learn about this sailboat. I have tons of ties to cut me free from land. But basically, in the next 2-4 months, I'll be cutting the land ties while getting plenty of sailing days in. Then its around the gulf coast and around Florida on up to New York. Then back to do my taxes, too much to leave in other hands this year. After that, I'll be gone forever or until I physically can't do it any more. I'll once again stay close to the coast for a long while, but eventually, I just have to make a big water crossing. I am sailing alone for the most part. I have plenty of friends that want to join me in different parts of the world and plenty of friends in all parts of the world. But I'm basically, on my own.

If you think I'm crazy, I can take it. But I'm hoping to learn a lot from this site. I've been browsing it for a few weeks now pretty regularly. I wanted to wait until I had my haul-out and sail trial before actually signing up. That was done today and it was everything I expected. I just wish I could fast forward the next few months of getting rid of everything and the learning curve I'll have to go through with this size boat. I can't wait to get going and I mean after taxes. The trip around the coast is going to be fun, but knowing I have to come back is going to be a downer from day one. I want my freedom, I want to just let the wind take me where I choose to go with no worries of what month it is.

Sorry for the length. I'm also sorry about all of the questions I'll soon ask. I will say, if I ask, it will be after trying to search for it first and failing to find what I'm looking for. I hope to meet all of the cruisers at various sail-in's around the world. I can't wait to get started with the "grand finale" of my life.
ep_sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2007, 22:58   #2

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Heh, welcome aboard. Good luck with your big adventure, I'm sure you won't regret it.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2007, 23:28   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Ep,
Welcome aboard!! Looks like you are doing what we've all done or want to do so we don't think you're crazy. Ask away. You'll get lots of opinions.
First thing I'm going to suggest is that you keep an eye on prevailing weather and don't put your Hunter into severe weather if you can prevent it. At every opportunity beef up your boat to take bluewater cruising. Hunters were made for coastal work so you might want to look into reinforcing lots of stuff like bulkhead tabbing and chainplate attachment points.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:15   #4

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
Sailing/cruising does not have to be an all or nothing event. We know lots of cruisers who spend 6 mos. aboard and 6 mos. ashore. Since you have not done your shake down cruise along the coast yet, why are you in such a hurry to cut your land ties? I would suggest keeping a place on land while you do your initial coastal cruising. You have to allow for the possibility that what you've read in the magazines does not comport with reality and that you just might not like the lifestyle, especially if you are single-handing. Of course, you can always cut your land ties fully at any time - it just doesn't have to be the minute you leave the dock.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:44   #5

Boat: Ceol na Mara ~ Catalina 27
Good luck with your adventure! Don't be afraid to ask questions....this bunch is extremely nice and very generous in responding to queries. I am completely ignorant, and they've been a tremendous help.

Best wishes
Old 01-08-2007, 19:45   #6

Thanks for the welcomes.

Harriet,
This house has been an anchor in many forms to me. So it will not bother me at all if something scares me back to land, at least that anchor will finally be gone.

John,
Thanks for the tips and I will look into reinforcing things. I wasn't aware of that at all. The boat is in great shape, but I'm going to be doing a lot to it anyway because I want to ensure a peaceful first year or two without too many surprises. As far as weather, I'm going to try and avoid that. I remember a few years ago someone asking me about hurricanes. My answer was, I don't plan to sail around them, I'm just going to be in other parts of the world during hurricane seasons. I realize you can't avoid everything, but you can, to a degree, put yourself in less risky areas.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:55   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
No problem powering a Margharita machine. Plenty of 12 volt models around. Keeping enough ice on-board - Now that's a challenge.

Nothing crazy at all in your plans to cut shore power. You are definitely among friends.

Good Luck and keep posting.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 23:24   #8

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Good luck matey in putting the plans into action.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 16-08-2007, 21:52   #9

Boat: Olympic 23 "Oddyssea"
Thumbs up

i can't help but commend your effort to leave it all behind. i struggled with the same feelings for years, and now that i have what i needed, (a good boat, a free attitude, and great friends) i don't see how i went without this lifestyle for so many years. it actually seems like i was living a lie, and this is why i "snapped" one day, giving up all my goodies and debt, and making my new life without need for Blockbuster or TGI Fridays.
i can see the reason for your haste in wanting to do this, your words carry emotion that i recognize.

now, i noticed you are in Houston...WATCH OUT FOR HURRICANE DEAN! He is b-lining; with the uppers and highs the way they are at this hour, he could very well be haeded toward where Erin just made landfall. i try to look at these storms VERY carefully, if not for the worst. (7 hurricanes, 2 within 2 weeks will do this to you) I would highly suggest you make a storm plan NOW, and get her squared away for the wait.
this looks to me to be a tough storm season for all of us in the southern waters of the carib and american coast. use caution and descretion... we want to hear about everything from you- your journeys, pitfalls, friends...
most of all, your triumphs!

keep up and let your heart be the guide.

Dale
Old 17-08-2007, 00:44   #10

I'm keeping my eye on Dean, but for insurance purposes mostly, lol. I closed on the boat earlier this week, but couldn't get insurance binded due to Erin. Looks like I'll finally be able to get it tomorrow morning. If something misses tomorrow, Dean will probably cause another delay in the binding.

I've got a storm plan, needed it for insurance. I'm scheduled for a haul-out and bottom job Monday. I'll have to wait another day or two to see if I'll be locking her down or driving it over there.

If all goes well tomorrow, I'll have my new batteries installed, get a couple of hours sailing in, and get her moved from the place I purchased it. Lots to do on the boat and in my house, but each day brings me one day closer to being gone.

So much to learn. I haven't posted much, but I come here almost every day to read a little. I wish there really was a machine that could zap extensive knowledge into someone in seconds like in The Matrix.