Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-04-2012, 09:45   #1

Hello

Hi, new to these forums. I've been dreaming of the cruising lifestyle but thought it best to follow the advice of starting small so I started with dinghies one summer a few years ago and now into even smaller crafts, windsurfers, for good measure. I hope to learn on keelboats one of these days so I'm wondering if it is worthwhile to spend some precious thousand bucks first on sailing clubs and their lessons or invest something like 10K for my own boat, and learn on it. Anyway, hope to learn a lot of valuable lessons from the experiences you share.

Old 13-04-2012, 11:46   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: Hello

Welcome aboard
My 2cent is to get a cheap trailer sailer.
Have fun, whatever you do.
Cheers,
Erika

Old 13-04-2012, 11:51   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Welcome aboard!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 22:10   #4

Thanks for the welcome and the advice.

Erika, a trailer sailer really sounds good if i can find the right size within my car's towing capacity.
Old 13-04-2012, 23:06   #5

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

What kind of car?
What's the short-term budget?
Wife and/or kids?
Old 14-04-2012, 00:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
What kind of car?
What's the short-term budget?
Wife and/or kids?
Not very beefy I'm afraid, 1500lbs max towing capacity.

I'm thinking $5K to $10K for fixed/initial costs and $300-$500/mo recurring costs would be ok.

Wife and a school age kid plus an adult son who might find it interesting if his schedule permits.
Old 14-04-2012, 08:19   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Very do-able try Clear Lake Sailing Club

They give boats away to good owners, and sell cheap boats too. I'd try to find a 'gulf coast' or something similar for a nice spacious cockpit for the family, but it still has a little cubby cabin to get out of the weather and take a nap. my girlfriend got hers for 500, but that was with no cushions down below. I actually lived on her Gulf Coast for a few weeks when I was between boats, good boat.
You may try craigs list, don't forget to look around Austin, with this drought a lot of people not sailing on Travis.

Cheers,
Erika
Old 14-04-2012, 08:50   #8

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España

Think about a Holder 20.
HOLDER 20 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Holder 20 Sailboat

Light enough, with trailer, for you to tow.
They should be available in the $3k-6k range with trailer and sails.
Big enough for you, the wife and the kid to overnight on.
Apparently there were long and short cockpit versions. Long would be better for racing, short better for overnighting (bigger cuddy cabin)
With all 4 aboard, daysail only.
Pretty good performer.
Hobie, one of the builders, is still in business so you might be able to get manufacturer support. Don't know for sure.

The only one I found for sail currently: Holder 20, 1981, Kansas City, Missouri, sailboat for sale from Sailing Texas, yacht for sale I think is a bit overpriced.
Old 15-04-2012, 08:25   #9

Thanks Adelie and Erika. Very helpful info. The links led me reading through further links and I think I've gained a better idea of my goals and how to get there. I really envision someday owning a boat around 30ft so I figured it's money well spent to actually join a sailing/lessons club that allows unlimited boat use for a fix monthly fee plus courses fees everytime I'm ready to go to the next level. The structure and being around like minded people I think would work well for me to gain keelboat knowledge and experience before I go for boat ownership. In the meantime, looking at the range of boat choices and reading their specs would be good motivation to gain more hands-on practice. I'll be moving to the PNW and the thought of exploring the Puget Sound in a keelboat wearing warm clothes instead of a windsurfer wearing a wetsuit sounds more appealing .
Old 15-04-2012, 08:47   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHead View Post
Thanks Adelie and Erika. Very helpful info. The links led me reading through further links and I think I've gained a better idea of my goals and how to get there. I really envision someday owning a boat around 30ft so I figured it's money well spent to actually join a sailing/lessons club that allows unlimited boat use for a fix monthly fee plus courses fees everytime I'm ready to go to the next level. The structure and being around like minded people I think would work well for me to gain keelboat knowledge and experience before I go for boat ownership. In the meantime, looking at the range of boat choices and reading their specs would be good motivation to gain more hands-on practice. I'll be moving to the PNW and the thought of exploring the Puget Sound in a keelboat wearing warm clothes instead of a windsurfer wearing a wetsuit sounds more appealing .
Club route is a very good way to gain experience.

Where in the PNW? That's where I am from and where I learned to sail.
Old 15-04-2012, 09:53   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Club route is a very good way to gain experience.

Where in the PNW? That's where I am from and where I learned to sail.
Good to hear you're from that parts. If you have some recommendations or advice please do let me know. We're moving to the Seattle area.
Old 15-04-2012, 14:15   #12

If you will be involved with the University of Washington, then you could join the Washington Yacht Club which is open to faculty, staff, students and alumni.

Keep in mind that the Puget Sound is a light wind area with high, mixed tides.

You will want to make sure your boat has a working motor when you go out on the Sound and that you have good light wind sails.

In the Seattle area +tides average about 11'. Farther into the sound near Olympia, they average about 14-15'. The upshot is that there are constricted areas that have very high tidal currents: Deception Pass can run 9kt or so, the Tacoma Narrow 5-6kt. Sailing up or down the Sound it usually pays to adjust your schedule to go with the tide with can run 1/2 to 2kt out in the clear away from constricted passages. Fortunately being a mixed tide, highs and lows are only 6hr apart, so they are easier to schedule than on the east coast which is mostly a diurnal tide with highs and lows 12hr apart.

On the plus side the water tends to be deep, most places shallow enough to run aground are within 50yd of shore. Also there are a lot of destinations at varying distances, 1,3,5,7hr, 1,2d away. That's the biggest disappointment here in San Diego, there is more wind on a consistent basis than the PNW, but there are limited number of places to go. Without crossing the boarder, you can sail up and down the bay, you can take 3-4hr and sail outside to Mission Bay, or you can take a very long day (10-14hr) each way and sail to Oceanside or the nearest island.

When you get there let me know and I will suggest some of my favorite destinations.
Old 18-04-2012, 02:04   #13

Thank you very much for the detailed info, Adelie. Hope to be there by summer. Currently debating between a club on Puget Sound (with longer drive from where we would stay) or a club on Lake Washington (at least half an hour less driving) but then need to go through the locks to get to Puget Sound. Since I'm a total newbie to keelboats, the Lake Washington club might be good at least for the first year although I dont know if there are enough places of interest in Lake Washington to make it appealing for 1 whole year.
Old 28-04-2012, 19:22   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here on the forum.
kind regards,
Old 01-05-2012, 07:58   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here on the forum.
kind regards,
Thanks John. Enjoyed reading your links. I've bookedmarked them for future reference as I'm sure they'll come in handy as I get more experience.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: