Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-05-2012, 08:24   #16

Re: Hello

Hi Airhead, I'm a relative newcomer to sailing and CF too and am sharing my learning/club experience so that perhaps you might find something similar in Seattle. I live in Redondo Beach and our city owns a small fleet of sailing dinghies and keelboats, which are used for city-offered ASA courses and by the RBSC. Once a student passes an ASA course, s/he is automatically checked-out on a particular boat and eligible to sail it for a fee. Our club charges $125/year dues and includes free sailing on any boat in the fleet every Sunday, which I consider an excellent deal. By helping clean boats for 3 hours/year, we get a $25 discount. So that turns out to be a lot of sailing for a little money. The instructors are member of the club, so we get lots of casual instruction on shared day sails. Perhaps you can check into some of the cities around Seattle to see if they offer a similar program. Have fun learning.
Sara

Old 01-05-2012, 08:32   #17
STG

Boat: Coronado 35

Hi and welcome.

I'd add the Seattle Sailing Club to your list of clubs to consider. They have boats at Shilshole Bay Marina. It's a very nice up to date marina on Puget Sound, (owned by the Port of Seattle). I think their monthly club rate is about $190/m for unlimited day sailing. That is cheaper than moorage of your own boat. Plus, as a member you get about 25% off of their sailing lessons. I.e. $295 for ASA 101, rather than $395. And 10% or so off of gear and clothing.

You can pay more for overnighters on the bigger boats, etc. (up to 36 ft I think).

I learned to sail there about 15 years ago or so, and now live aboard at that location and love it. If you truly want to sail Puget Sound more so than the Lake, I'd consider this rather than a trip through the locks every time you want to get to the Sound.

Seattle Sailing Club

Shilshole Bay Marina

Old 01-05-2012, 09:39   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGoddess View Post
Hi Airhead, I'm a relative newcomer to sailing and CF too and am sharing my learning/club experience so that perhaps you might find something similar in Seattle. I live in Redondo Beach and our city owns a small fleet of sailing dinghies and keelboats, which are used for city-offered ASA courses and by the RBSC. Once a student passes an ASA course, s/he is automatically checked-out on a particular boat and eligible to sail it for a fee. Our club charges $125/year dues and includes free sailing on any boat in the fleet every Sunday, which I consider an excellent deal. By helping clean boats for 3 hours/year, we get a $25 discount. So that turns out to be a lot of sailing for a little money. The instructors are member of the club, so we get lots of casual instruction on shared day sails. Perhaps you can check into some of the cities around Seattle to see if they offer a similar program. Have fun learning.
Sara
Thanks Sara! Sounds like a really good deal. Happy to hear you're getting lots of opportunities to sail. I'll definitely look for a club as soon as we hit the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STG View Post
Hi and welcome.

I'd add the Seattle Sailing Club to your list of clubs to consider. They have boats at Shilshole Bay Marina. It's a very nice up to date marina on Puget Sound, (owned by the Port of Seattle). I think their monthly club rate is about $190/m for unlimited day sailing. That is cheaper than moorage of your own boat. Plus, as a member you get about 25% off of their sailing lessons. I.e. $295 for ASA 101, rather than $395. And 10% or so off of gear and clothing.

You can pay more for overnighters on the bigger boats, etc. (up to 36 ft I think).

I learned to sail there about 15 years ago or so, and now live aboard at that location and love it. If you truly want to sail Puget Sound more so than the Lake, I'd consider this rather than a trip through the locks every time you want to get to the Sound.

Seattle Sailing Club

Shilshole Bay Marina
Thanks STG! Good to hear your positive experience with SSC. I'm really leaning towards SSC although I'll be commuting from the eastside so it's probably an extra 30 min compared to 10-15 min to a Lake Washington club. Otherwise, I do feel that there's more interesting sailing in Puget Sound to make sure I keep practicing even during the cold months. Did you take ASA 101 and 103 back to back so you can go out and can practice often even by yourself or did you spend time crewing in between the 2 courses? What would be your suggested time table in terms of taking the courses vis-a-vis hands-on time to make sure you're maximizing what can be learned from the courses?
Old 01-05-2012, 10:02   #19
STG

Boat: Coronado 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHead View Post
Did you take ASA 101 and 103 back to back so you can go out and can practice often even by yourself or did you spend time crewing in between the 2 courses? What would be your suggested time table in terms of taking the courses vis-a-vis hands-on time to make sure you're maximizing what can be learned from the courses?
I did not take 103. They let me take their smaller 26 ft boats out right after 101. I became proficient with them. Met lots of friends, and sailed on bigger boats. Read a lot, and advanced myself by just sailing. I think the courses are great, but for me, once I learned the basics, I preferred to just read on my own, and then ask questions when out with friends, etc.

You should be able to start going out by yourself right away, but I would take someone with you for the first few times to help with docking, steering while handling sails, etc. until you feel comforatable on your own. It's always nice to have the extra hands and company anyway.

Shilshole has one of the biggest live-aboard communities on the West Coast, and so there are always friendly people around, and a lot of racing just outside the marina, so crewing is easy to do.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:38   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by STG View Post
I did not take 103. They let me take their smaller 26 ft boats out right after 101. I became proficient with them. Met lots of friends, and sailed on bigger boats. Read a lot, and advanced myself by just sailing. I think the courses are great, but for me, once I learned the basics, I preferred to just read on my own, and then ask questions when out with friends, etc.

You should be able to start going out by yourself right away, but I would take someone with you for the first few times to help with docking, steering while handling sails, etc. until you feel comforatable on your own. It's always nice to have the extra hands and company anyway.

Shilshole has one of the biggest live-aboard communities on the West Coast, and so there are always friendly people around, and a lot of racing just outside the marina, so crewing is easy to do.
Thanks, really good to know those details. I cant wait for our summer move so I can visit Shilshole and SSC

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: