Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2011, 09:32   #1

Post Hello

Hello, I just discovered this site last night and now i'm looking forward to what may be. I'm a retired Captain (3000 Grt- Oceans) with 20 yrs expierience on oil field vessels of all kinds. And worked with a Container Ship hauling MSC Cargo. Started out as OS and worked my way up and over.( Container Ship, AHTS,Survey,Dive,Supply,Crew,Std-By.) My favorite thing in the world is to be at the helm and sailing into a sunrise or sunset. I am trying to sell the house i live in to buy a boat and get back on the water. So many possibilities exist on this site for the oprotunity to gain expierience on a sailing vessel. I hope that one day i might find a spot and start that new adventure. In the meantime Hello to one and all and God's blessings to each and every one of you.
sailor49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 09:40   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: Hello

A hello to you from a fellow skipper on AHT's, currently pulling anchors for a pipe lay barge in the Baltic Sea
Wish you best of luck with the new adventure, I'm half way there, got the boat, just need the retirement

Cheers
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 09:41   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, sailor49.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 09:44   #4

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

Hey there!
Am retired Navy and semi-retired from the sea with scads of commercial time offshore also... Just teaching the 100/200 ton courses for those who want to work off shore.
Hold 1600 ton/ 3000 ITC Master with 2nd Mate unlimited upon Oceans and all the other endorsements required. ARPA, GMDSS, STCW and so forth.
Just bought a Hardin 45 for live aboard and cruising. Looking to get out of the apartment and back on the seas...
Have Fun.
Mark
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 10:50   #5

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 10:30   #6

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor49 View Post
Hello, I just discovered this site last night and now i'm looking forward to what may be. I'm a retired Captain (3000 Grt- Oceans) with 20 yrs expierience on oil field vessels of all kinds. And worked with a Container Ship hauling MSC Cargo. Started out as OS and worked my way up and over.( Container Ship, AHTS,Survey,Dive,Supply,Crew,Std-By.) ...
Welcome!

So, maybe you could help regarding this large barge with a "movie screen" end door and retractable roof. What was the nature of its cargoes?

Old 18-07-2011, 16:15   #7

Well if it's location is or was San Diego at any time it may have been the hanger of the Secret navy project Stealth Ship "Sea Shadow". Or not. perhaps a Training center or movie theatre for all those Sailors restricted to base Ha Ha. What was/is it do you know.
Old 18-07-2011, 17:46   #8

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

It is among the mothball fleet in Suisun Bay in central California.

I've ruled it out as an iron-ore carrier.
Old 22-07-2011, 11:59   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. This is a fun place for some odd conversations remotely related to cruising. Markpierce has posted a photo of a great liveaboard. Lots of room.
kind regards,
Old 22-07-2011, 12:17   #10

Boat: Endeavour 37

Seems like Sailor49 hit the nail on the head. Out of curiosity, I googled the Sea Shadow and look what appears on the second picture down. Also, FYI, if you do want a liveaboard "boat" both the ship and barge are/ were for sale. Thanks 49.

The U.S. Navy Wants to Give Away the Formerly Super Secret Sea Shadow Stealth Ship « San Francisco Citizen
pjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 19:36   #11

It was just an uneducated guess, sometimes I can remember stuff thats of absolutely no use. But when i need to recall critically important information now you might as well take a number. Has my number been called hey whats my number.
By the way my papers are all in order, i know NOTHING of what the Government has done , is doing, or is planning to do. (Aside from what the word of God reveals to me). So all you guys dressed in black just keep on and especially you guys dressed in white keep your hypo's to your self and adios. It's no small wonder why i want to give away my house and obtain a good live aboard vessel and keep to open ocean as much as possible. Please help.
Old 23-07-2011, 19:49   #12

Hello, maybe I am in the wrong place. I was looking for information about the Sea Scouts (circa 1950s) and the Ship SEA HORSE. We wee at Aquatic Park, I have not been back there since 1960.
Any information out there?
scott
barchen36 is offline   Reply With Quote