Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2009, 10:33   #1

Boat: Small runabout with past experience in Cruiser
Hello

Hello All,
Belinda and I (Doug) are new to the forum but not the dream of becoming Cruiser LiveAboards. We currently have a small 18' runabout and are doing our research on sedan Criusers to live aboard in about 3 to 5 yrs. We are perusing different web sites, looking at boats and making our lists and priority's for what it will take to make the jump when the time comes. Our dream at this time involves part time working, full time living aboard a 48' - 52' boat and making the trek to Maine in the summer (obligatory stop at the Bahamas) and then back to the Texas Gulf Coast in the winter. We appreciate any insight and look forward to making our plans and dreams a reality. I have found this site to be informative and will continue to use it as a basis for information and insight into our efforts to become full time LiveAboards as well as a place to talk and enjoy others company and experiences.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:52   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
WELCOME,

Are you wishing to purchase another powerboat, or sailboat? Either way you can find many answers here to your questions, and at times many answers to one question......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:19   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha B&D,
Welcome aboard! We have a few powerboat sailors here on the forum that might be able to guide you in your decision. Motor sailer type boats are an option for you to maybe consider. They both sail and motor equally inefficiently and make great liveaboards.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 14:49   #4

Welcome

I’m a sailboater, so I can’t give you much advice about power boats. But, I can tell you that you see a lot of U.S. based power boats in the Bahamas. The vast majority of the liveaboard power boats you see there are trawlers. There are many different manufacturers. But in general, and if in good condition, they are good coastal cruisers and are suitable for occasional off shore use.

A trawler style boat will have considerably more living space than a comparable length sailboat. A 48-52' trawler is a lot of boat for two people. And, a new one would be very expensive. If you are considering an older boat, there are many at least potentially good ones available at reasonable prices. Eg.:

1979 Albin TRAWLER - LOW HOURS Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com=

No - I don’t know anything about this boat beyond what appears in the ad. IF in good condition, it would be suitable for your intended use.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote