Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2017, 14:53   #1

Hello

I'm living in New Mexico, no sailing experience, but plenty of powerboat experience. I love the ocean, and am going to do my best to live either near it or on it within the next decade. I have to do about 7 more years here to have a decent retirement pay, when I will be 62. In the meantime, I plan on starting to take sailing classes and buy a small boat and work my way up from there. Elephant Butte is close by, and I want to practice on that.

My ambition right now is in 7 years to move to somewhere like Corpus Christi, buy a sailboat, and liveaboard from there and work until I finally retire for good. I have a long path, but the journey seems exciting, and I'm in great shape, health and willing to learn.

I am enjoying reading about your sailing adventures and tips. I hope I someday may cross paths with some of you.
Ragnar Lothbrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 15:06   #2

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer
Re: Hello

Hello Ragnar, Welcome to the forum. I went to 1st grade in Hagerman, N.M. That was a long, long time ago. Good luck and don't give up the dream.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 16:08   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Bill View Post
Hello Ragnar, Welcome to the forum. I went to 1st grade in Hagerman, N.M. That was a long, long time ago. Good luck and don't give up the dream.
Thank you Diesel Bill. I welcome any advice or help on my journey to the sea. I won't give up this dream. If you can dream it, you can achieve it.
Old 16-05-2017, 16:24   #4

Boat: Currently in between

Hello Ragnar and welcome!
Old 16-05-2017, 21:18   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard! If you can find a fun little boat to take out and practice on, that is a great start. Once you see how you can make a boat go with just a piece of cloth, you too will be hooked I bet. 7 years is plenty of time to get great sailing skills under your belt.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 21:27   #6

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I can empathize with your plan. I was landlocked and worked in Saudi Arabia for eleven years before I started my circumnavigation.

You may not be on the water in New Mexico, but there is still lots of things you can do to learn about sailing, weather, anchoring, communication etc while you remain landlocked.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 07:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
I can empathize with your plan. I was landlocked and worked in Saudi Arabia for eleven years before I started my circumnavigation.

You may not be on the water in New Mexico, but there is still lots of things you can do to learn about sailing, weather, anchoring, communication etc while you remain landlocked.
Well, Elephant Butte reservoir is an hour away, and folks sail there. I am looking to start with a Laser, take sailing lessons down in Corpus Christi or San Diego, and just keep learning. I'm also going to look into using my future vacations volunteering to be crew for others.
Old 02-06-2017, 15:35   #8

Boat: Hunter 27-2

Galveston Texas is a good place to take lessons. Lots of schools there and around Kemah. Check out Bay Area Sailing School which is where I got my 103 and 104 certs.
SeaRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:55   #9

Thank Searags. I'm also looking at a sailing school in Corpus, and another in San Diego. Never been to Galveston. Right now I have started to practice knots from the internet. My dog is getting annoyed cause I keep tying a bowline around him.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:51   #10

Did a little research, and it looks like there are two sailing schools closer to me near Phoenix, and another in San Carlos, Mexico. Since I am starting with 101, I don't think it matters. Does anyone know anything about these schools?
Old 05-06-2017, 09:27   #11

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Ragnar.

We learned to sail on Cochiti lake which is about half way between Santa Fe and Albuquerque. It's a puddle, but we had lots of fantastic days there. Nice thing was that it is a no wake lake. There was a nice little sailing community at the marina.

Also a plug for San Carlos Mexico. Very nice area. We enjoyed several trips there when we were in NM.

Enjoy either or all.
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:30   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek_Guy View Post
Ragnar.

We learned to sail on Cochiti lake which is about half way between Santa Fe and Albuquerque. It's a puddle, but we had lots of fantastic days there. Nice thing was that it is a no wake lake. There was a nice little sailing community at the marina.

Also a plug for San Carlos Mexico. Very nice area. We enjoyed several trips there when we were in NM.

Enjoy either or all.
Thanks. I used to live in Santa Fe, so have been to Cochiti. But that's a 3 hour drive for a puddle, so a few more hours and I am to the Sea of Cortez or a bigger lake. San Carlos is looking good to me, plus I do love Mexican cuisine.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:24   #13

Sorry,

Guess I assumed you were in Alb. Must not be the case.

Elephant Butte was not attractive to us. The shore is flat and treeless. But that's a personal choice. Certainly has more water. Besides it was further for us.

No doubt it would offer you time on the water. Which is what you really need at this point. You can also pick up a 22 to 25 foot trailerable boat for very cheap. As I remember there was a marina at Elephant Butte, so I'd guess there is the option of a bigger boat too. With a 27 - 30+ you'd have everything you'll be doing later. The advantage of that is it's a mini cruiser. You'd have some systems that you can start learning about, and get a feel for the things you'll be doing later.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:40   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek_Guy View Post
Sorry,

Guess I assumed you were in Alb. Must not be the case.

Elephant Butte was not attractive to us. The shore is flat and treeless. But that's a personal choice. Certainly has more water. Besides it was further for us.

No doubt it would offer you time on the water. Which is what you really need at this point. You can also pick up a 22 to 25 foot trailerable boat for very cheap. As I remember there was a marina at Elephant Butte, so I'd guess there is the option of a bigger boat too. With a 27 - 30+ you'd have everything you'll be doing later. The advantage of that is it's a mini cruiser. You'd have some systems that you can start learning about, and get a feel for the things you'll be doing later.
I am down in Las Cruces, about an hour from the Butte. A trailerable boat is exactly what I will be looking for to start. Thanks for the advice, and maybe I will haul it up to Cochiti and Heron too just for fun in the hotter months.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:18   #15

Have you visited the marinas at Elephant Butte? Just looked and there are 3 and several sailboats. Looked like some at least 30 footers.

If nothing else you can often glean great ideas from other boaters. Could likely see a for sale sign or two. Looking at boats is always fun for me.