Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2017, 15:53   #1
Registered User

Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 14
Hello

I'm living in New Mexico, no sailing experience, but plenty of powerboat experience. I love the ocean, and am going to do my best to live either near it or on it within the next decade. I have to do about 7 more years here to have a decent retirement pay, when I will be 62. In the meantime, I plan on starting to take sailing classes and buy a small boat and work my way up from there. Elephant Butte is close by, and I want to practice on that.

My ambition right now is in 7 years to move to somewhere like Corpus Christi, buy a sailboat, and liveaboard from there and work until I finally retire for good. I have a long path, but the journey seems exciting, and I'm in great shape, health and willing to learn.

I am enjoying reading about your sailing adventures and tips. I hope I someday may cross paths with some of you.
__________________

__________________
Ragnar Lothbrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 16:06   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: So Cal
Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer
Posts: 414
Re: Hello

Hello Ragnar, Welcome to the forum. I went to 1st grade in Hagerman, N.M. That was a long, long time ago. Good luck and don't give up the dream.
__________________

__________________
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 17:08   #3
Registered User

Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 14
Re: Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Bill View Post
Hello Ragnar, Welcome to the forum. I went to 1st grade in Hagerman, N.M. That was a long, long time ago. Good luck and don't give up the dream.
Thank you Diesel Bill. I welcome any advice or help on my journey to the sea. I won't give up this dream. If you can dream it, you can achieve it.
__________________
Ragnar Lothbrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 17:24   #4
Life is good!
 
SV Bacchus's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: East coast of FL
Boat: Leopard 42 Owner's Ver
Posts: 770
Re: Hello

Hello Ragnar and welcome!
__________________
SV Bacchus - spreading libations world wide, via sailboat, to help the "up tight" relax and enjoy life!
SV Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 22:18   #5
Moderator
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 4,216
Images: 34
Re: Hello

Welcome aboard! If you can find a fun little boat to take out and practice on, that is a great start. Once you see how you can make a boat go with just a piece of cloth, you too will be hooked I bet. 7 years is plenty of time to get great sailing skills under your belt.
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 22:27   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
maxingout's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Fort Pierce, Phoenix
Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Posts: 2,602
Re: Hello

I can empathize with your plan. I was landlocked and worked in Saudi Arabia for eleven years before I started my circumnavigation.

You may not be on the water in New Mexico, but there is still lots of things you can do to learn about sailing, weather, anchoring, communication etc while you remain landlocked.
__________________
Dave -Sailing Vessel Exit Only

http://SailingUNI.com
http://maxingout.com
http://PositiveThinkingSailor.com
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 08:12   #7
Registered User

Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 14
Re: Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
I can empathize with your plan. I was landlocked and worked in Saudi Arabia for eleven years before I started my circumnavigation.

You may not be on the water in New Mexico, but there is still lots of things you can do to learn about sailing, weather, anchoring, communication etc while you remain landlocked.
Well, Elephant Butte reservoir is an hour away, and folks sail there. I am looking to start with a Laser, take sailing lessons down in Corpus Christi or San Diego, and just keep learning. I'm also going to look into using my future vacations volunteering to be crew for others.
__________________
Ragnar Lothbrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 16:35   #8
Registered User
 
SeaRags's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Posts: 23
Re: Hello

Galveston Texas is a good place to take lessons. Lots of schools there and around Kemah. Check out Bay Area Sailing School which is where I got my 103 and 104 certs.
__________________
SeaRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:55   #9
Registered User

Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 14
Re: Hello

Thank Searags. I'm also looking at a sailing school in Corpus, and another in San Diego. Never been to Galveston. Right now I have started to practice knots from the internet. My dog is getting annoyed cause I keep tying a bowline around him.
__________________
Ragnar Lothbrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:51   #10
Registered User

Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 14
Re: Hello

Did a little research, and it looks like there are two sailing schools closer to me near Phoenix, and another in San Carlos, Mexico. Since I am starting with 101, I don't think it matters. Does anyone know anything about these schools?
__________________
Ragnar Lothbrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:27   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Jacksonville
Boat: Hunter Legend 37
Posts: 126
Re: Hello

Ragnar.

We learned to sail on Cochiti lake which is about half way between Santa Fe and Albuquerque. It's a puddle, but we had lots of fantastic days there. Nice thing was that it is a no wake lake. There was a nice little sailing community at the marina.

Also a plug for San Carlos Mexico. Very nice area. We enjoyed several trips there when we were in NM.

Enjoy either or all.
__________________
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 12:30   #12
Registered User

Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 14
Re: Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek_Guy View Post
Ragnar.

We learned to sail on Cochiti lake which is about half way between Santa Fe and Albuquerque. It's a puddle, but we had lots of fantastic days there. Nice thing was that it is a no wake lake. There was a nice little sailing community at the marina.

Also a plug for San Carlos Mexico. Very nice area. We enjoyed several trips there when we were in NM.

Enjoy either or all.
Thanks. I used to live in Santa Fe, so have been to Cochiti. But that's a 3 hour drive for a puddle, so a few more hours and I am to the Sea of Cortez or a bigger lake. San Carlos is looking good to me, plus I do love Mexican cuisine.
__________________
Ragnar Lothbrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:24   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Jacksonville
Boat: Hunter Legend 37
Posts: 126
Re: Hello

Sorry,

Guess I assumed you were in Alb. Must not be the case.

Elephant Butte was not attractive to us. The shore is flat and treeless. But that's a personal choice. Certainly has more water. Besides it was further for us.

No doubt it would offer you time on the water. Which is what you really need at this point. You can also pick up a 22 to 25 foot trailerable boat for very cheap. As I remember there was a marina at Elephant Butte, so I'd guess there is the option of a bigger boat too. With a 27 - 30+ you'd have everything you'll be doing later. The advantage of that is it's a mini cruiser. You'd have some systems that you can start learning about, and get a feel for the things you'll be doing later.
__________________
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:40   #14
Registered User

Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 14
Re: Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek_Guy View Post
Sorry,

Guess I assumed you were in Alb. Must not be the case.

Elephant Butte was not attractive to us. The shore is flat and treeless. But that's a personal choice. Certainly has more water. Besides it was further for us.

No doubt it would offer you time on the water. Which is what you really need at this point. You can also pick up a 22 to 25 foot trailerable boat for very cheap. As I remember there was a marina at Elephant Butte, so I'd guess there is the option of a bigger boat too. With a 27 - 30+ you'd have everything you'll be doing later. The advantage of that is it's a mini cruiser. You'd have some systems that you can start learning about, and get a feel for the things you'll be doing later.
I am down in Las Cruces, about an hour from the Butte. A trailerable boat is exactly what I will be looking for to start. Thanks for the advice, and maybe I will haul it up to Cochiti and Heron too just for fun in the hotter months.
__________________
Ragnar Lothbrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:18   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Jacksonville
Boat: Hunter Legend 37
Posts: 126
Re: Hello

Have you visited the marinas at Elephant Butte? Just looked and there are 3 and several sailboats. Looked like some at least 30 footers.

If nothing else you can often glean great ideas from other boaters. Could likely see a for sale sign or two. Looking at boats is always fun for me.
__________________

__________________
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello Hello ! robert.hudson88 Meets & Greets 8 22-03-2017 06:04
Hello Hello TheFloridian Meets & Greets 7 09-03-2013 11:15
Hello hello TonyQ Meets & Greets 2 03-01-2008 02:51
Hello Hello Can you hear me now??? olepedersen Meets & Greets 6 17-10-2006 06:04
Hello hello! CaptainRed Meets & Greets 2 21-07-2006 05:48



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:25.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.