Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2008, 22:17   #1

Talking Hello :)

Just came across this wonderful site! Looks like it's going to be my bible! I am about to sign up for my first sailing class here in Ft. Lauderdale, and plan to start with a live aboard dockside and do coastal cruising with friends until I am comfortable. After that the sky is the limit. Excited for this new chapter in my life. Any tips on getting started would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!
kristenc81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 01:41   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Welcome aboard kristen! Sounds like you have a smooth sailing plan! Enjoy your classes and feel free to ask questions.

Plenty of good reading around including this forum.

I am sure you'll get a respectable reading list from this crowd!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 06:36   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hello, Kristen.

Welcome to the Forum! Sounds like to me you're on the right track already. Take it a step at a time, and you'll be amazed what you'll be able to accomplish.
Old 19-08-2008, 06:51   #4

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
I have got so much background, what if etc from this site. Enjoy.
The experience of others is cheaper than learning the hard way.
Just don't expect anyone to agree with anyone else. They have each learnt their lessons at different times on diffr=erent boats.
Old 20-08-2008, 23:28   #5

Thanks so much! I'm excited! I have some wonderful ideas brewing in my head. It's a little intimidating, sailing! I became aware of the power of the wind while learning kitsurfing in Miami! It was scary! I want to embrace it and use it for something beneficial and beautiful! And why not create a little home around me while I'm doing it! Cheers!
Old 21-08-2008, 01:10   #6

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Starting is easy. Getting the right boat is the first challenge.
Get down to your favorite marina and join the club / bar and crew for any one who has a sound boat and sound frame of mind. Buy your own safety kit and use it!
Self inflating lifevest with a harness and crotch strap the will allow unconcious you to be pulled out of the water and over the side of a boat. Get use to wearing it all the time while you're out with people you haven't sailed with before.
I'm jealous as hell if c81 means you're 29. Most of us come to do full time sailing later in life, you have the world before you.
A dinghy might be a way to start too but windsurfing has taught you the basics, move to a day-sailor soon that you can wekend on and crew on as many bigger boats as you can. Pick someone to teach you how to sail your boat, (you might have to pretend to be dumb to get the best teacher!)
There's a thread somewhere of an american girl going solo for the first time. She was thrilled. You'll be away soon too.
I don't want to start a Cat v Mono debate but make sure you try one of those too, the smaller ones are much more practical for camping style weekending and very different and can be on car towed trailer too.
Enjoy. Don't drink sea water. That's for windsurfers!
Old 21-08-2008, 11:00   #7

Thanks! that's great advice. I have been amazed at the differnt place all over the world that I am getting responses from, Singapore, Lower Antilles, and now the UK! I will for sure take your advice and get over to the Marina here. Safety kit too! PS...still 27 for 5 more months..don't rush it for me, not 29 yet I need that 1 year and 5 months to prepare me for the almost 30 breakdown Thanks for the advice ! Cheers! Is it lame for me to say Happy Sails?
Old 21-08-2008, 11:35   #8

Boat: Looking...
Hello Kristen! I think sailing lessons are a great way to start. My wife and I just took a basic keelboat course up here and it has helped us tremendously with our boat handling and confidence.

We have an O'day daysailer II now which I believe is a great starter boat. There were something like 10,000 produced so they are easy to come by, we got ours with a trailer and lots of extras for a thousand dollars. Then there are always sunfish, and hobie cats are lots of fun too.

I am in the same boat as you (no pun intended) being a young and novice sailor. There are so many (expensive) options to choose from! But these forums are a great source of information, I've literally spent hours at a time going through old posts.

Welcome!
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 02:16   #9
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenc81 View Post
Cheers! Is it lame for me to say Happy Sails?
It might be better if you say "Fairwinds"

Quite a few of the people who read and post on this site are here in Florida. I'm sure that any of us would be more than happy to have you aboard. Why don't you start a new thread and see how many folks are close to you in Lauderdale. You might be able to enhance those sailing lessons with real time sailing experience with some old warhorses, and it's free.

Just an idea
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 02:52   #10

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Hi Kristen and Happy Sails

Hey, you should crash this party

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ida-17259.html
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 20:21   #11

Thank You for your reply and advice! Every little bit helps!
Old 24-08-2008, 20:23   #12

Thanks!That is a great idea! I will definitly start a thread. After my sailing class though, so that I have confidence in the basics! I appreciate your reply! Cheers!
Old 27-08-2008, 19:24   #13

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Kristen,
Welcome aboard! I hope you find all the information you need on this forum. There are a lot of knowledgeable members who are will to share their experiences both good and bad. 30 is really young.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 02:35   #14

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welcome also Kirsten,
I am sure all the other site members also wish you well in achieving your goals. Sail safe.
JOHN