Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2017, 04:38   #1

Boat: 1990 Jeanneau Voage 12.5 mtr (currently for sale)
Hello

I am attempting to make my first post (my Introduction) It does not seem at all straight forward. So, Hope this works.
I am Dan0, a U.S. Citizen. I am currently located on Luzon Island in the Philippines. I have done coastal cruising for years, mostly in Chesapeake Bay, have chartered in the Caribbean and Turkey, but I am seriously lacking in knowledge of Navigation. I would like to Crew or Charter from the Philippines to Hong Kong, Malaysia or Guam with someone who would coach me in Navigation. I would like to become a Blue Watter Sailor. I have found a few affordable boats here and other Asian countrys that seem to be equipped for making Blue Water Passages by a single-hander, but think it doubtful that I could sail to Texas via Indian and Atlantic Oceans. But, that is what I would like to do.

I am 79 years old but in good physical (and I think Mental) condition. Acquaintances here assume I am in my 50s.

Any advise or leads will be most appreciated.
Dan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 04:57   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0 View Post
I am attempting to make my first post (my Introduction) It does not seem at all straight forward. So, Hope this works.
I am Dan0, a U.S. Citizen. I am currently located on Luzon Island in the Philippines. I have done coastal cruising for years, mostly in Chesapeake Bay, have chartered in the Caribbean and Turkey, but I am seriously lacking in knowledge of Navigation. I would like to Crew or Charter from the Philippines to Hong Kong, Malaysia or Guam with someone who would coach me in Navigation. I would like to become a Blue Watter Sailor. I have found a few affordable boats here and other Asian countrys that seem to be equipped for making Blue Water Passages by a single-hander, but think it doubtful that I could sail to Texas via Indian and Atlantic Oceans. But, that is what I would like to do.

I am 79 years old but in good physical (and I think Mental) condition. Acquaintances here assume I am in my 50s.

Any advise or leads will be most appreciated.
Welcome to CF..
Do not be deceived into thinking that the success of the challenge is determined by the size of the boat for a start.. a decent boat between 30 and 35ft is more than sufficient.. you say you'll be single handing so there'll be plenty of space for stowing extra supplies/water which after the quality of the boat are your main needs.
Navigation these days is pretty easy.. just pick a point and go.. making sure of course that there's no hard bits between you and your destination.
There are also many free resources online where you can learn nav theory.. then its go out and put it in practice.. to be honest its all theory/pre planning.. a lot like driving across country.. pick the bits you want to avoid in advance then set off.
Your biggest obstacle is yourself.. if you don't think its possible it isn't.. if your as fit and together as you claim then I don't see why not.. I've run into folks as old as 77yrs soloing.. one off whom was on his 4th circumnavigation.
Buy a boat.. study on line and practice locally for a few months then GO..
The clock is ticking..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote