Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2008, 07:04   #1

Hello!

My husband and I recently had the thought we would like to live at sea. He is ex CG and is currently in another branch of the military. We both have a love of the outdoors, simplicity, and living on little. We both fell in love with the ocean when he was in the CG.

So, I'm joining up here to see if this is truly something we could pull off in the future and not just a happy dream. I should mention we have 3 kids too.

Here's hoping... and hello!
Snodgrasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 08:51   #2

Welcome! Where there is a will, thre is a way. Your husband obviously has an idea about what he is getting into and you two seem to be attracted to the main things out here, the sea, and the spartan life absent lots of property and pssession to be slave to.

We're slaves to our vessels but our lives really do depend on them and how well they are cared for. Good for you guys and you CAN do it and WILL do it and you will be the better for it (and the kids too).
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 09:55   #3

Boat: Custom Finch 46 - Airielle
Thumbs up Welcome

You will find a great deal of information on this forum. Many folks out there are doing exactly what you envision. As long as you and your husband are committed to the same dream, you will have the experience of a lifetime.
swabbmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 11:46   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Mrs. Ex-Coasty,
Welcome aboard! I truly hope you can find the opportunity to fulfill your dream. It is a great life that I'd like to get back to.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 14:18   #5

Thank you everyone!

I am already enjoying reading threads here and seeing that this could be a very real possibility for us! Our children are at young ages (6, 4, 3) so we are hoping to get underway within the next few years. It will be a stretch, since we are by no means independently wealthy, but we feel this would be an incredible way to raise our kids and teach them so much more. Not to mention have fun living at sea and working hard with our hands!

Any good reading materials for sailing, boating, and living aboard? I'm also looking into ways for us to provide income to live off of over and above what we plan on stashing away the next few years to get us started. Any thoughts on that subject or suggested reading in that area are welcome as well!
Snodgrasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 09:46   #6

Boat: Whitby 42ft
Send a message via Yahoo to KayKay58
Hi! My husband and I have just bought our first boat and are living aboard her right now. It has been a challenge, and an adventure already, and we've only just begun! We love it and are learning new things every day! When we took Phoenix out for our first time, and caught the wind in our sails, the rush was enormous! And so far, living aboard has not been all the hardships I had envisioned. It's amazing how much freedom you feel when you don't have all kinds of crap hanging over your head, like house maintanince, and cable bills and such. It has been wonderful, and your kids will love it! My grandkids do. Good luck, and keep us posted.
KayKay58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 10:21   #7

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Snodgrasses Welcome Aboard,
The secret is to stay focused on your dream. New TV, car, china, and any other items that will not be used aboard your dream vessel will be a waste of money. This is where I went wrong. Some things are necessary for your job but stay focused and you will achieve your dream.
John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote