Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2014, 10:06   #1

Boat: Rhodes R27 40'
HELLO!

Hi all,

Beloved and I have foolishly purchased a 1955 Rhodes R27 which we absolutely love and are now starting to fit out for the journey from Mattapoisette in MASS to Denia in Spain. We adore the boat which is lucky as pretty much everything needs doing but we are starting with an excellent hull with new deck and interior. So I am interested in all things to get us off the ground, or off the dock!
RhodesR27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 10:27   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: HELLO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodesR27 View Post
Hi all,

Beloved and I have foolishly purchased a 1955 Rhodes R27 which we absolutely love and are now starting to fit out for the journey from Mattapoisette in MASS to Denia in Spain. We adore the boat which is lucky as pretty much everything needs doing but we are starting with an excellent hull with new deck and interior. So I am interested in all things to get us off the ground, or off the dock!
Welcome to Cruisers Fool-dom....

You will be in good company here!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 10:36   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: HELLO!

Hi.. Welcome to CF..
Lovely looking boat and quite a journey that you've undertaken..

If I may suggest adopt the KISS policy.. she's a wooden boat and loading her with stuff will kill her looks
A couple of good capacity electric bilge pumps and a high capacity manual.. nav wise go for a HH GPS and a Notebook with GPS puck.. I'd recommend a package I bought called Nimble Navigator with world charts and the facility for add on's like AIS.. oh.. and passage charts, 1 for Bermuda and 1 for the Azores and another that covers La Coruna to Gib.. just in case your elec dies..
As there's two of you a four man life raft, EPIRB, flares, and maybe rent a sat phone for when your out of VHF range of anything for emergencies..
Its fairly straight forward.. down to Beaufort, NC using the ICW when the weathers crap when you pick it up to get you S of the Capes.. then its around 550 miles to Bermuda... around 1700 to Horta and 900 to the mainland... around 3 weeks the longest leg.
Head for Bermuda late April/May.. Enjoy the adventure..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 10:38   #4

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Welcome aboard!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 11:17   #5

Boat: Rhodes R27 40'

Thank you boatman61, there are some great recommendations there for kit. We are totally on board with the KISS mentality but are being pushed towards radar. I never used one on the Fastnet or any of the cross channel sailing that I have done, just wondered in your experience if they are necessary or if AIS replaces it.

Thanks again, as they say age (experience) and treachery will beat youth and skill every time!
RhodesR27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 11:35   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodesR27 View Post
Thank you boatman61, there are some great recommendations there for kit. We are totally on board with the KISS mentality but are being pushed towards radar. I never used one on the Fastnet or any of the cross channel sailing that I have done, just wondered in your experience if they are necessary or if AIS replaces it.

Thanks again, as they say age (experience) and treachery will beat youth and skill every time!
My personal opinion is that I don't like to bump into things that aren't lit up with AIS.... But... we are starting to get away from the KISS theory on your boat...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 11:59   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: HELLO!

If it were me I'd go for AIS.. less clutter topside's, just a little white lump on the coachroof with green flashes.. and cheaper than radar..
Quite a few boats I've delivered had radar but I've never switched it on.. but that's a choice for you.. its your investment.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 05:49   #8

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Welcome. Installing equipment on your boat is going to be more personal preference than any thing else. AIS will be good to have but not a serious piece of equipment on the Atlantic ICW. There is just not a lot of commercial traffic and that is where AIS is very helpful. Offshore, again, not as helpful and Radar, especially at night would be my choice. Radar is going to be a big power drain while sailing. We use radar a lot to track storms and squalls more than anything else, or if traveling in dense fog, which we try to avoid. AIS and radar are not interchangeable and provide totally different information. For decades we traveled with a laptop at the nav station running navigational software and a GPS puck attached. You don't have to run a laptop off 120 volt power. Get DC to DC converter. Once in European waters an AIS might be of great benefit to you. So it will ultimately come down to what makes you more comfortable and provide the most information to make your trip safer. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 07:28   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, RhodesR27.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 11:32   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Beautifully designed boat.
kind regards,