Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 07:54   #1

Boat: Northstar 8020
Hello

So I joined 3 weeks ago, but have not introduced myself yet....and this is why..... I repair and restore boats. I started around 1985 for a boat repair shop that did a lot of wooden boats (I had just completed Industrial woodworking at the local college) From there I was a goner. Sent my kids to sailing school every summer and then bought myself an abandoned Goman 20 for $900. The plan was...Fix it up, sell it, get a bigger one, fix it up, sell it, etc. till I got to the size I wanted for cruising. So it's been ...um....at least 20 years I am still at the Goman. Love it BUT not going to cruise the world in it. At my age....this cruising dream was quickly fading, life being as it is. THEN 3 weeks ago, I get a phone call.....local port manager (I know everyone cause now I work at all the clubs and such fixing boats)....anyways, he asks me what size boat I was looking for (I figure he's going to give me the scoop on a boat in an auction coming up at the local yard) I say "Well, it's going to depend on how much it's going to be and how much work it needs. If I find a 30 footer that I can deal with, I'll get it. If I find a 40 footer I can deal with, I'll get it." So then he tells me that a certain Gentleman, whose boat I did regular repairs on, is looking to get rid of his boat. He is elderly and his children are unable to use it.....do I want it.?????? "Well .... I guess....but that's gonna depend on how much he wants to sell it for..... "
"Um, no Chris, he wanted me to find someone who would love and care for his boat and YOU were the only person I could think of"
Ok, so now I'm thinking...GREAT, I hear a deal coming up here. Silence on the phone.
"He wants to GIVE the boat to someone who will love and care for it"
"OK...so how much?"
"No, Chris. He wants to give....GIVE the boat to someone who will love and take of it"
OMG!!!!!
He gives me Gentleman's phone number..... I call, we talk and OMG, now I await the registration on a fully functional, sailable boat to sail away on! DREAMS COME TRUE!
While waiting, of course I am telling people about this and MANY people are acquainted with this Gentleman....seems he was in the insurance business, seems he did well in his life, seems he was an amazing boss and has touched the lives of many people with his kindness and now I have been so touched. There is NO WAY, I could possibly convey my gratitude.
THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!
So now you want to know what kind of boat...... It is known as a Northstar 8020 or a Hughes 40!
I think I should probably add here, that although I had MY Goman 20 for so long, I am NOT a great sailor..... always WORKING on boats and not really having lots of time to sail. I have taken it out of the harbour into Lake Ontario twice.....both times, being, to say the least, harrowing experiences. Crazy and adrenaline pumping sails.....the kind of experiences, that when you look back on them, you think, OMG THAT WAS AMAZING, I LIVED! What's in store for me in our next voyage?
Igotnuthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:59   #2

Re: Hello

By the way.... I'm gonna need a lot of assistance in my endeavors.....my mind is a sponge.....feed me.....I want to KNOW EVERYTHING about living aboard and cruising EVERYWHERE!
Old 05-05-2013, 08:00   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Igotnuthin.

WOW!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:38   #4

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Welcome aboard! Clearly, karma was involved. Have fun "fulfilling your obligation" by spending a lot of time on the water!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:46   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterway Guide View Post
Welcome aboard! Clearly, karma was involved. Have fun "fulfilling your obligation" by spending a lot of time on the water!
I second this opinion!
Congrats and enjoy!!
AirMedMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:57   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hello

It can be a wonderful and generous world we live in... as I've discovered on occasion...
Only goes to pot if 'Expectations' enter the scenario...
Welcome to CF... Enjoy

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:38   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Sometimes kindness and generosity and care are rewarded. Looks like you are being rewarded.
Congratulations and pictures would be wonderful when you get round to it.
kind regards,
Old 20-05-2013, 05:59   #8

Thanks everyone! We finally got to check out inside the boat two days ago.I am soooo excited! We are going down there to clean today. If any one has Facebook. I'll post pictures on my page .....called "Hole in the Water boat repairs and Restorations" Feel free to check it out!
Old 12-06-2014, 06:27   #9

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Welcome aboard and ask away (a bunch of us are grumpy old men - but some of the other members are nice)

carsten

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 15:37   #10

Boat: Abbott36 Montock17

Never underestimate good karma!
Take er slow at first.. Reefs in before ya shove off regardless of weather at the time, trust me on this one... Enjoy
Starboardyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 16:40   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Good things do happen. Congratulations.