Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-09-2010, 18:05   #1

Thumbs up Has it Been a Year ?

Hello fellow cruisers. I registered here a little over a year ago (as trippermike) but didnot take advantage of this site as I intended. Registering and making a public pledge was my official declaration to myself that, as I would be turning 60 in a year, if I was going to try the cruising life, I had to put my foot in the water (oops) by purchasing a boat by the fall of 2010 and try to learn a little something of what would lie ahead. Well, I have my boat, a 45 Columbia, very old, very tired so I anticipate a steep learning curve when I board the Pelican next month. She has been tied to a dock in Curacao for some time. Although the diesel and outboard engines get fired up about twice a month, one of my first jobs will be to install an in-line fuel polishing system and clean the tank, then charging/electrical system, install the boats' (and my) first chartplotter, et.etc.etc...frankly the amount the I do not know becomes more mind-boggling the more research I do. Am I crazy? Probably. Nervous? Scared silly. But I am also deeply excited. It has been a dream in the making for over 20 years. It may fall flat but come h*#* or high water (but not above the bilge please) I will find out if I have what it takes to live out this dream despite all of the countless obstacles that will flow my way. I welcome constructive input and would be thrilled to be able to talk to anyone who has walked this path ahead of me. I am frankly, in awe of those of you who have taken on and accomplished the broad-reaching set of skills and the mental fortitude that is needed to become a true liveaboard cruiser. I salute you from the starting line.

m1ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 21:28   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Welcome to the forum you have started your adventure with a great decision - buying a Columbia. Sweet boat, great sailor, and great live aboard.
Have fun and go play.

Mrs. Rain Dog~Ocean Girl
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 22:03   #3

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Lot's of hard work to come but it's a blast. When you get tired and can't figure something out---Stop don't make a judgement--rest up and hit it again. The answer will come (along with the pleasure of the job being done right).

IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 03:17   #4
Armchair Bucketeer

I hope you keep us all posted on your learning curve
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 04:25   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in New York
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Do the least you can and start the sailing

Welcome to the fast life
Notes on a Circumnavigation.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 11:57   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
Aloha and welcome aboard!
You've got a large project there but you'll find it a real joy if you can taker her sailing in between small jobs aboard.
kind regards,

SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: