Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2011, 23:21   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44
Happy to be Aboard

My wife and I are in our eleventh year of cruising from Canada and we are presently completing a 14 month refit in the Philippines. We are looking forward to being underway again and continuing our circumnavigation. We have done the south pacific, NZ, Aus, Indonesia and 15 countries in total, so far.
Canuck Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 00:02   #2
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Happy to be Aboard

Awesome... What an adventure, and what a cool place to get a refit. Lucky you! Welcome aboard!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 04:37   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Canuck Sailor.

What are you intentions for Africa?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 04:58   #4

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Welcome aboard eh, where did you start from Canada, BC?
Mark1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 07:14   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Welcome to CF, I hear you can get very cheap repairs there. I need a new teak and holly floor!
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 08:45   #6

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Welcome aboard. Teak and Nara are cheap in the Phillippines.
Old 01-05-2011, 17:46   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you posting here.
kind regards,
Old 01-05-2011, 19:52   #8

Thank you all for your kind welcome. We have had a lot of inexpensive work done that would cost five time or more anywhere else. The methods they use takes a lot of getting used to but the outcome is generally very acceptable especially if you keep an eye on it.
Teak is not available here, at least in the form that most NA boats are used to. If you want a teak & holly floor, bring the wood. A lot of our work was done in Nara and it is beautiful wood. They made the parquet stips to match our old cabin sole in quite a few spots where we had some fresh water dry rot. I kept the new fuel tank cover board different to show people that had I not had the dry rot and needed it replaced, had I had the all too common fuel tank problem, I would have had to tear up all the cabin sole anyway. Now a few bungs, screws and voila, the top of the tank is exposed and I can struggle to get it out without excesive damage to the cabin sole.
Anybody interested in work here let us know and we can fill you in on a lot of details.
Old 01-05-2011, 20:23   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Sailor View Post
Thank you all for your kind welcome. We have had a lot of inexpensive work done that would cost five time or more anywhere else. The methods they use takes a lot of getting used to but the outcome is generally very acceptable especially if you keep an eye on it.
Teak is not available here, at least in the form that most NA boats are used to. If you want a teak & holly floor, bring the wood. A lot of our work was done in Nara and it is beautiful wood. They made the parquet stips to match our old cabin sole in quite a few spots where we had some fresh water dry rot. I kept the new fuel tank cover board different to show people that had I not had the dry rot and needed it replaced, had I had the all too common fuel tank problem, I would have had to tear up all the cabin sole anyway. Now a few bungs, screws and voila, the top of the tank is exposed and I can struggle to get it out without excesive damage to the cabin sole.
Anybody interested in work here let us know and we can fill you in on a lot of details.
Which Island are you on? I had access to lots of Teak on Mindanao, however Nara is an even better wood.
Old 01-05-2011, 21:10   #10

We are on Cebu at the Republic Dry Doc Corp facilitites in Danao. Port Carmen south is the actual location.
I would be interested in a plank that is 1" x 5" x 36" to repair the gouges that the gang way has put in my teak cap. I could probably get away with 3/4" thick. Real teak planks are hard to find here but they do have a lighter version of teak that doesn't seem to come close to the feel and look of our teak. I have been hoarding the pieces removed from our boat to piece meal a new cap rail together.
Cliff
Old 01-05-2011, 21:12   #11

Gord May. We are going as far as Thailand and then will worry about Red Sea or Horn
Cliff
Old 02-05-2011, 05:31   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Sailor View Post
We are on Cebu at the Republic Dry Doc Corp facilitites in Danao. Port Carmen south is the actual location.
I would be interested in a plank that is 1" x 5" x 36" to repair the gouges that the gang way has put in my teak cap. I could probably get away with 3/4" thick. Real teak planks are hard to find here but they do have a lighter version of teak that doesn't seem to come close to the feel and look of our teak. I have been hoarding the pieces removed from our boat to piece meal a new cap rail together.
Cliff
Too bad I am not at my home on Mindanoe. I am in Canada until October where my boat is at the present. I had planks much bigger than that under cover in the back yard. Left overs from cabinet building in my house. It's illegal to export that stuff in raw form. As for the shade of the teak I had various shades which is why some was culled from the cabinet making material. The builders out there have a tendency to have you over buy, hoping to get the left overs. That didn't happen.I kept the left overs of teak and Nara.lol
Old 02-05-2011, 06:04   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

welcome,we stopped in puerto carmen in the north part a few years back and really enjoyed it.we also visited the boat yard where you are and met a really nice guy building catamarans there,give him regards from salamandra if he is still there.

hope all goes well with the refit,on my 3rd circumnav so personally apart from wonderlust se asia and the pacific are about the only unspoilt places left,i'd stay there,africa and s america have little to offer,and the carib is like a trailer park....
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote