Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 10:38   #1

Boat: Alberg 37 Cutter Hull #3
Happy new year to everybody around!

Hello to everybody here in this forum!

Iam a newcommer in this Forum and please be patience with me as iam not a native speaker. Iam not new to sailing, but pretty green in ocean sailing..

Sailing so far is lot of fun for me but iam getting more and more curious about a plan of travelling around and live aboard a yacht for a longer term. So, that brings me to the point- iam looking out for a boat and getting slightly closer to fulfill my desire!

Can anyone in the forum help me further on an issue regarding an particular 41ft sloop 1981 which is for sale right now, but shows some signs of water intrusion in the salon above the pantry?

My first impression was that there is water intrusion in the deck structure- but the lady never had teak decks. As well as the deck look ok.

The brokers comment is, that everything is dry- no moister and believed it came from open portlights.. just a peeling of the paint.. he say´s nothing serious, just cosmetic..

My plan is to send a surveyor to do a walk through survey, but would appreciate a lot your opinions first.

Thank you ALL very much in advance for your help!
cheers
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo124 (5).jpg
Views:	184
Size:	403.9 KB
ID:	73208   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo123 (5).jpg
Views:	124
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	73209  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo111 (8).jpg
Views:	148
Size:	413.5 KB
ID:	73210  
Barawitzka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:03   #2
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31
Re: Happy new year to everybody around!

Welcome aboard, Barawitzka.

Finding the source of the water leak can be difficult, but it could be a very expensive fix depending on the source. Is the deck cored or solid fiberglass? If the deck is leaking and it is cored, it could be a big problem.

From my limited experience, some surveyors work too closely with brokers. The surveyor may rely on referrals from brokers, so it's in their interest to not kill the deal. Let's face it, if the surveyor listed all the problems and how much it would cost to fix them, no one would ever buy a used boat. So, you have to be a very smart consumer and get a good independent surveyor. We relied on the recommendations of several brokers to find a surveyor and were not happy with the results.

You might want to ask the owner to give the surveyor permission to remove panels or even drill small test holes in the underside of the deck.

Our surveyor used a moister meter and the hammer test. He detected a few areas of moderate wetness and no delamination. What we found when rebedding deck hardware post purchase, were large areas of delamination with core that had turned to mush.
Old 05-01-2014, 00:26   #3

Hello Neo!

Thank you for your great answer! Yes, that gives to think about it! I just received the answers from a surveyor of trust, i have up north in Hamburg, which i sendt all the history, answers from Broker/owner and the hole punch of photos..

It is also his opinion that when a vessel with balsacored deck is sitting fo a long while on the dock, it could be a problem of moister ingress in the deck through the deckfittings, deckshardware and all the stuff which is screwed on the deck. And when it is not maintaind carfully.... in the worth case- you throwed your Money out of the window whith a purchase like that ..

As we know, when balsa turned from wood to kompost over the years you have a serious problem.

I hope this is not the case, and i will (Risk Nr. 2) hire a surveyor, cause theres no other way for me to asure the vessels condition. Exactly what you´r mentioned is on my mind as well. A Setup between the both Partys which are interested that the deal will work out. Cause when the surveyor is giving green light, i will fligh over and then do an "all in" Survey and a seetrail with him... which is his business of course. No mather if i buy or not buy.
I think i will ask the surveyor directly ahead of this first step, how close he is working together with the boatbroker... i will check exactly of what his answer is. And he knows than, that i know... and we both prepaired.
Moistermeter is a must!

The vessels deck is not looking to bad, and she never ever had Teak decks.
So thats the positiv thing about her.

So in your case, what have you done, after you discovered the soft/wet spots? Did you remove and rebuild parts of the deck for renovation? Is the deck of your vessel balsacored as well or airexfoam?

cheers
tom

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 05-01-2014, 06:23   #4
Neo

We rebedded the anchor cleats and the bow pulpit during our first off season last year. We had to replace a 1ft x 1ft area of core under each deck intrusion. Like you say, it was basically compost. We did not have access to the deck from below so we cut away the top layer of fiberglass from above deck. My fiberglassing skills are weak so the finished job, after re-coring and re-fiberglassing, is a little rough. It's a lot of work, but a good skill to develop if you own a boat. All the best.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:32   #5
Neo

If you re-post in the Construction/Maintenance sub-forum, you're sure to get responses from those more knowledgeable than myself.
Old 05-01-2014, 13:05   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Hope you can find that leak.
kind regards,
Old 07-01-2014, 02:31   #7

Thanks John, i hope too- and i hope ist not too serious- a Survey will tell! cheers from skiing the alps!
TOM

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe