Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2014, 08:42   #1

Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

Hello, I am new to this. I want to someday,hopefully soon, live aboard a boat and sail extensively. I want to have all safety equipment and procedures necessary to make sure everyone arrives safe every time. I have read some post about pirates and other scoundrels on the water. I have just started researching laws of different countries about gun laws and find it quite confusing. Also, I am a hunter so I would like the option of arranging some hunting trips in some of the countries I visit and want to use my own guns to do so. I would not be comfortable in a strange land without some kind of protection. My one goal of gun ownership is to never have to use it in self defense, but I want the option to do so to protect my friends and family if it came down to that. My question is, how do I find out what the rules are? Does the US government have anything on this? If I went into, say Mexico's waters and had a gun on board would I wind up like the US soldier that is still in prison because he had guns in his vehicle? I assume once you cross the imaginary line in the waters of a foreign land you are technically under their jurisdiction. Your thoughts please.
Old 22-09-2014, 08:46   #2

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Guns on a boat, yes or no?

Here we go again.
Old 22-09-2014, 08:49   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

HI LBOM
If you search the site you will find lots of discussions regarding guns on boats.
Welcome to the Forums and we hope your association here is a pleasant one.
Old 22-09-2014, 08:50   #4

OUCH! I am only asking a question because I don't know something. Are you against guns, hunting, safety, or just me? Thanks,
Old 22-09-2014, 08:53   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaidBack OldMan View Post
OUCH! I am only asking a question because I don't know something. Are you against guns, hunting, safety, or just me? Thanks,
Lol...... no sir. Its a regular topic here and gets quite heated at times. There are lots of threads on here and using the search facility should give you any answers you require.

Traveling to Mexico with a weapon can get you in a lot of trouble to answer your specific question.
Old 22-09-2014, 08:57   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Welcome aboard!

There are two subjects that will start never ending threads here. Everyone is passionate about Guns and Anchors (good rock band name!).

The answers are always as follows.

Your gun is too small, it's the wrong kind and you don't have enough ammunition. Your anchor is too small, it's the wrong kind, and you don't have enough chain.
Old 22-09-2014, 08:58   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
It has nothing to do with being for or against guns, however, it is a subject that has been discussed many, many, many times on the forum.

As such, it was suggest you do a search on the topic for the opinions that have been given.

You should be aware though, that firearm possession in some countries could result in harsh penalties. Some Caribbean countries even make it illegal to have any sort of camo clothing, which is so popular in the US.

A starting point for you might be to take a look at noonsite.com. It has a lot of information on the countries you may want to visit.

If your thinking of hunting in a particular country, one should do the same as if hunting in a different state... get the regulations. Using bait for deer might be legal in your state, but not in the State right next door. Remember, your a visitor in what ever country you enter, and it's their sandbox, their rules.

You might be better off rather than transporting your firearm on board if you want to go hunting, to have it shipped to that country by air.
Old 22-09-2014, 09:04   #8

Keep researching Laidback. It would be great to have someone that actually knows the gun laws for each country. Right now we get a lot of urban legends and dingy robberies with machine guns gone wrong stories. Good luck and welcome to the forums.
Old 22-09-2014, 09:04   #9

Boat: Catalina 30

Unfortunately there is no simple answer to your question.

The website noonsite.com will answer a lot of your questions about specific countries and their laws regarding guns (among other things). Each is different and unique. It can be done in a lot of countries and can get you in lots of trouble in others i.e. Mexico.

Good luck in your research and I would suggest investing in Asprin because you are going to need a lot of it.
Old 22-09-2014, 09:07   #10

abv3, Thanks for the info. I will research more. How do you stay safe from predators on the water? Travel in groups? Have a faster vessel than them? Am I worrying about something that is not going to happen? If you watch the news it appears the world is not a safe place in a lot of areas. I would definitely avoid dangerous places but they don't always post a sign to let you know where they are.
Old 22-09-2014, 09:15   #11

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Because you are "new to this" cruising thing perhaps you should start with questions about that. After you get a boat and then decide to sail internationally then you can ask about other topics.

Searching guns here yields 499 threads. Do your homework.
Old 22-09-2014, 09:20   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Traveling to Mexico with a weapon can get you in a lot of trouble to answer your specific question.
With the exception of the US, travelling to nearly every other country will cause you grief
Old 22-09-2014, 09:23   #13

Quote:
abv3, Thanks for the info. I will research more. How do you stay safe from predators on the water? Travel in groups? Have a faster vessel than them? Am I worrying about something that is not going to happen? If you watch the news it appears the world is not a safe place in a lot of areas. I would definitely avoid dangerous places but they don't always post a sign to let you know where they are.
You're right. There are no signs, 'cuz the bad a$$ guys take 'em down.

Predators on the water are pretty well defined by the links provided. Somolia could be one, but I'm sure you've heard about that already.

Where are you now and where are you planning to go? What kind of boat do you have? Things like that help us to help answer your questions.

If you heed the advice to do a search on "guns" on this and any other boating forum, you will have enough to read until you retire.

Happy hunting...pi
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 22-09-2014, 09:23   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Well, I'm not sure if I worry about all the stories, even though some are true.

There have been a number of people up here in Alberta wonder why I would winter in Florida, don't I know how dangerous it is down there with all the crime?

Sure, but I don't frequent those areas, nor do I hang around with the type of people who commit violent acts. A couple of years ago, Edmonton had 48 murders, and more than 2/3 of them were gang related. Tampa was about the same. Situational awareness of course is important, but I leave my door unlocked as often in my condo in the Tampa area as I do in my house in Alberta, and feel just as safe. Florida is a CWD State, and although I don't qualify as a non-resident, I never have felt the need to want to.

I probably have more guns than most on the forum, but I think the mindset of needing a firearm for protection is one that is mostly an American one, and much of it because of fear promoted through our 24 hour news cycle. If a kid burps in Pretoria, South Africa, it hits the news in Marseilles, France.

Avoid the north coast of Venezuela, and yes, sailing in groups through some cruising areas may help. But if your just cruising up and down the leeward and windward islands, just do it. Worry about storms and reefs.
Old 22-09-2014, 09:29   #15
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Also, I am a hunter so I would like the option of arranging some hunting trips in some of the countries I visit and want to use my own guns to do so.

I assume once you cross the imaginary line in the waters of a foreign land you are technically under their jurisdiction. Your thoughts please.
Where are you planning to go and what is there to hunt there?

Not "technically"!

Tags
Guns, guns